Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2022, 02:43 PM   #1

Advice on vertigo in camper van

My husband and I are on our first camper van vacation and he seems to have developed some kind of vertigo in the van. We are extremely level so that is not the problem. It seems the slight movement while we are in the van could be the issue. Any thoughts? We have a long way to go and I feel so bad that he has to experience this especially first time out. Thank you.
Sue F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2022, 02:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue F View Post
My husband and I are on our first camper van vacation and he seems to have developed some kind of vertigo in the van. We are extremely level so that is not the problem. It seems the slight movement while we are in the van could be the issue. Any thoughts? We have a long way to go and I feel so bad that he has to experience this especially first time out. Thank you.
I have a friend who developed unexplained vertigo. He saw a doctor before he had a dangerous occurrence. Good thing he did. They were able to test, diagnose and treat it before he got hurt or hurt someone else. I suggest you get him an appointment with a doctor and take over all the driving duties until his condition is under control.
Best of luck to you both.... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji1303]
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:01 PM   #3

Is he OK when outside the van? Is it only when the van is moving? Perhaps he has an inner ear infection. I hope you are driving the van!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #4

Check out Meniere's disease.

A former career USN/USCG helo, American airline pilot of several years friend of mine pulled up to a stop light one day and next thing he knew he was balled up on the floor of his truck nearly puking.

He was diagnosed and after several years of treatment...he shook it and was back flying for more years.

Not saying Menier's is common...as I have had a few short term bouts of vertigo too...fortunately never driving.
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #5

If the doctors can't find an problem , look for an item named " Travel bands " they wrap around the wrist and apply pressure to the inside and , I've got feed back from many friends I've told about them that they work.
DW, bought hers for our first cruise and never needed them , but gave them to a lady at our dinner table , who said they saved her trip.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:38 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club

The accepted medical procedure for clearing (clumped particles) in your inner ear doesn't work very well. This video shows you a very good method that does work.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #7

Get the exhaust systems checked. He could be experiencing Cyanosis.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:45 PM   #8

Is it repeatable? I experienced a case of positional vertigo a few years ago when I was around 50, it would only happen rolled onto my right side and reach for the bedside table, something about the angle of my head set off vertigo in my inner ear, thankfully it slowly went away after a few months. I talked to my doctor about it, and he told me it was due to little pebbles building up in the semi-circular canals of my inner ear, and this is common with aging, and that the treatment for it if it did not resolve on its own, involved moving the patent around in a special chair (rolling them upside down, etc) to try to move these pebbles into a position that a person would not normally find themselves in, like in a hand stand..
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #9

Good opinion above.. if he can take benadryl.. take 1/2 tablet and see if that helps.. over the counter.. read drug interaction carefully.. maybe phone consult with doctor or insurance medical providers.. teller. Health line.. also.. if no problems with alcohol.. 1/2 beer.. then when back at home.. see doctor.. could be simple ear cleaning.. and if you never had ear cleaning done by doctor.. you will not believe how much better life is.. you can hear better and balance better.. I am not a doctor.. so take this as an opinion.. and get a check up..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-29-2022, 04:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonavonP View Post

The accepted medical procedure for clearing (clumped particles) in your inner ear doesn't work very well. This video shows you a very good method that does work.
Interesting.
Another proven method I treat patients with is the Epley maneuver/ technique.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:20 AM   #11

Thank you everyone for your advice. We tried a few non-invasive tips first. We bought some stabilizing jacks from all places an RV department in Walmart in Thunder Bay. I tried to upload a picture but no luck. They were very inexpensive and if you want a picture send me your email and I will send you the info. I also got him some non-drowsy ginger Gravol. He is ok driving and would not take risks. The jacks and Gravol seem to have helped. We spoke to a pharmacist and also recommended regular Gravol at night when he isn’t driving if the ginger doesn’t help. The only problem now seems to be if he looks down and then up too fast. M
Sue F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #12

Plain Dramamine over the counter for a little while. If it doesn't get him used to it then I would look into ear problems. Like sticking q tips in too deep disrupts the inner ear bones. I used to take Dramamine for my first two or three trips out on the ocean each season then I would be fine. 1 before bed 2 when I woke up and one when I got on the boat. But certainly check dosages on whatever type you buy.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First and foremost, we have no idea and our advice should be treated as such. See a doctor and as soon as practicable. It could be nothing, but it might be something requiring treatment.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
He is ok driving and would not take risks......
He has been ok driving??? That's past history. He's dealing now with an undiagnosed and untreated medical condition that could affect him at any time without warning. If he is driving when that happens he, you and other innocent people could have a live changing event.

Quote:
.....The only problem now seems to be if he looks down and then up too fast.
I would consider that an adequate warning that he shouldn't be driving. A civil jury just might agree.
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji1303]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, camper