Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #1

Advice/salesperson talked smack about me

I’ll try to keep this short, just want to see how you guys/gals would handle this. After having a TT for the last 5 years, we decided to upgrade to a Tiffin Open Road last year then COVID hit and put the plans on hold. Around Dec we resumed our search and finally this week, I found just about the only new PA in the country. I don’t want to mention the dealer, I’ll just say they’ve been in the news lately for some questionable financing practices.

After long days of back and forth, we agreed on a price and pickup for tomorrow 5/27. Due to this being done over the phone and dealing with internet sales ppl, the financial manager and salesman are in different states. There was a hiccup on the contract today and when the salesman called me about it, I told him that he lied to me about a few things. After telling me he’ll take care of it he then calls me secs after we hung up thinking he was calling the financial manager. He proceeded to call me a liar and some 4 letter words. I let him talk after realizing that he thinks he’s talking the financial guy. After a few mins I lit into him. Long story short, the financial guy along with the salesman keep apologizing to me. I told the financial manager I’d be talking to the store manager after and if I fly 750 mikes tomorrow to take delivery. I also have on a text from the salesman stating he was extremely sorry for what he said about me. So this isn’t a he said she said, I have him admitting it on a text.

So I guess my question is twofold. I still want to proceed with the purchase since it’s almost impossible to find this motorhome. But in order to proceed I feel like I should be compensated by the dealership in some form whether it be gift cards, credit or some sort of upgrade to the RV. Or do I just walk away. I’m thinking the store manager may not want to have their name out there again with another negative story on how they treat customers.
Cyrustut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #2

just my .02, which means its worth nothing at this point...

if its the only one you like in a close proximity, then do the deal you agreed to and move on

if you are willing to forgo the deal and accept the fate of not finding another just to spite the dealer then do so

in different times you would have a standing, today they can sell they rig again tomorrow and not miss a beat. I really doubt, given the horrible reputation that RV dealers already have, they could care any less
Old 05-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #3

If that's the unit you want and the price is agreeable, carry on. When you show up in person, there may be more apologies, perhaps even a discount on accessories. I would stay cordial, and not let his poor judgement and lack of professionalism take away from my experiance. I would not expect nor ask for any monetary compensation for his indiscretions. Karma will circle around, odds are within a year he'll be working somewhere else, those guys always do.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Rather than compensation, let the guy’s supervisor deal with it. You’re actually not out anything it seems.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #5

I agree with the comments so far. I know it’s definitely a sellers market and this would be gone by next week. I’m leaning toward not making a big deal out of, I don’t want the guy to lose his job especially with times being hard on a lot of ppl. Thanks for the replies.
Cyrustut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:50 PM   #6

If that's the way they talk/think about you just what kind of service are they going to provide after they get your monies.

I would have a heart to heart with the HEAD honcho
If salesman gets canned that is on HIM---not you

Idiots/butt heads repeat their messed up attitudes cause few people call them out on it
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
There is absolutely no way I would deal with a person like you have described.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #8

Is it possible to finalize the deal with a different salesman? That way his commission is cut, and it will hopefully make him think twice about disrespecting a customer. To the customers face or behind their back.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #9

I would walk away . If he thought he was talking to the sales manager thats tells me a lot ?
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #10
US1

Everyone talks about everyone. More so when not face to face. Of course he lied. Thats salesman 101. Let him apologize to you in person again, get the RV and forget about it. BTW, congrates on the new rig!
Old 05-27-2021, 04:31 AM   #11

I'd still buy the rig, but demand to do the deal and paperwork with the sales manager. I would not give this guy the time of day.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:52 AM   #12

Do the deal you don't want to waste the time you've invested in this transaction. Then get your rig and take a shower to wash off all of the slime you were exposed to. Not saying that all salespeople are bad it just seems that way. Congrats on the new rig and safe travels.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:15 AM   #13

Don't tell anyone. Tell salesguy you're keeping it all secret from his overlords, but you dang well expect him to be your best buddy and advocate from then on, including warranty issues.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:28 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Unless he was saying that you are an idiot for paying $50K more than you needed to, he didn’t give you much to work with. The last time I saw my salesperson was when I picked up the rig. It’s not like he comes with the rig. If you like the deal, get the rig and move on.
Shutterbug57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, sale