Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2021, 06:00 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This what I purchased from HD. They periodically have it on sale for $99.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6...50HB/303379052

I then went to HF and purchased the following which I put on a slip mount near the compressor. Cost @$60

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...eel-62344.html

After adding the necessary fittings, it works great. Don't have to run the motorhome to air up the tires and when not on shore power, I just run the generator.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2021, 06:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Of course. No other reason for an air compressor......... not sure how I messed that one up.
Other reasons? Air tools such as impact wrench (requires a lot of air), inflate fishing float vest, clean parts or bicycles of sand or dust, clean dusty clothes, blow air horns, inflate air mattress, inflate kayak or paddle board. There are hundreds of uses depending on your level of activity.

Now be sure the compressor is adequately sized for your tires. If you run 120 PSI the $15 dollar Walmart portable will probably fail after a few uses. Among the best are the ARB line which are Australian made. I use a 100% duty cycle Viair with a 2 1/2 gallon tank permanently mounted, wired and plumbed. (Tire repairs, air ride suspension, air horn). Viair also has a portable 100% duty, tankless, which would probably serve you well. Make sure you connect it and become familiar with your situation to ensure you can reach all wheels with the cord/airhose. The plastic hose these kits come with are rather susceptible to kinks which will break in a time of need. Either change it out for a "Flexzilla" or similar hose with the appropriate fittings. Happy Motoring and remember the best air compressor is the one which will do the job adequately but you never have to use it. Just like good insurance.
rickshaw49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Of course. No other reason for an air compressor......... not sure how I messed that one up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickshaw49 View Post
Other reasons? Air tools such as impact wrench (requires a lot of air), inflate fishing float vest, clean parts or bicycles of sand or dust, clean dusty clothes, blow air horns, inflate air mattress, inflate kayak or paddle board. There are hundreds of uses depending on your level of activity.
I know that, which is why I asked that question originally. It was the OP that made it sound like they were only for tires.

I have a built in 38 CFM compressor at 120 psi built into my unit and with a hose reel. I use it for many things besides "tires of course".

Quote:
Up to what job? Filing tires? Running air tools? Blowing with an air nozzle? Other?

Without that info it is kind of hard to make a recommendation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbiker View Post
Tires of course.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:10 AM   #18

Quote:
I know that, which is why I asked that question originally. It was the OP that made it sound like they were only for tires.

I have a built in 38 CFM compressor at 120 psi built into my unit and with a hose reel. I use it for many things besides "tires of course".
I guess I should have mentioned tires in the original post as thats all I can think of at this point to need compressed air for. No air bags or air horn or any other inflateable stuff as of yet. I'm new to a class A so my thoughts are an electric impact gun, bottle jack and portable air compressor. I want a small 12V compressor rather than a 120V pancake so I can take it along in my truck when needed.
Britbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britbiker View Post
I guess I should have mentioned tires in the original post as thats all I can think of at this point to need compressed air for. No air bags or air horn or any other inflateable stuff as of yet. I'm new to a class A so my thoughts are an electric impact gun, bottle jack and portable air compressor. I want a small 12V compressor rather than a 120V pancake so I can take it along in my truck when needed.
Perfectly understandable, but also why the question was asked.

I have a small 12v compressor that lives in my UTV that was under $20 and works well for tires on that machine and maybe a car but that is about it.

I found I needed/wanted more air for filling pick up and trailer tires along with being able to "blow" things out like air filters, dusty cabs (typically UTV), etc. I ended up with a cheep 3 gallon pancake. It has low CFM and while it works well up to about 90 PSI it really falls down when trying to blow stuff. I get almost a minute before I loose pressure and have to wait 3-4 min to get more. I would not recommend this one to anyone. Did I mention it was cheap.

As I said my new Tow Vehicle has onboard air so that is awesome, however the engine has to be running to use it. However it meets all of my needs.

The Viair is a very popular option but not cheap. I have not used one so I can not speak to how they work.

I am with you about tools, with the current generator of battery powered tools there is no reason to carry air tools. I would say the exception to this would be for the person that already has the air tools and a compressor and want to take them.

Again with my set up I have a hose reel mounted on the back of my TV which makes things super handy. I have 14 tires I have to check before each trip and I do that while the TV is warming up. I also use it a lot of cleaning, tires and other maintenance on my UTV.

I do not have anything in the way of inflatables, but many do.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #20

I've been really pleased with my ViAir.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
I've been really pleased with my ViAir.

I am also, I have a class c so my storage space is at a premium. I like that the Vair is only the size of a six-pack.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #22

We caught the Porter Cable pancake style compressor at Hone Depot on sale $125, its a little larger than I really wanted size wise but, its worked well for us.

Tags
air, compressor