Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2021, 08:43 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Air Line Distribution in new garage and shop

Not sure if this is the right place, moderator please move if necessary.

I'm finishing up my garage and shop and intend to put in some sort of air distribution system to eliminate long hoses etc. Hope to have 4-6 different hookups in the shop and near the DP.
Looking for suggestions as to what to use. I've been doing some research and see a huge price difference depending on material. Aluminum is highly recommended but very expensive. I can buy a kit using a HDP type tubing with connectors etc which seems OK other then the tubing is coiled and based on my experience with PEX it will not provide for a clean installation.

Any suggestions for products and suppliers.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #2

I used 1" schedule 80 PvC pipe and reduced where I wanted to use 1/2" air hose locations. I do all my own work including brake and tire. At those locations I left it at 1" connections so I would have enough air flow to run my 1" air gun. See the chart for PSI ratings for schedule 80 pipe.

Schedule 40/80 PVC Pipe Dimensions & Sizes | Pipe & Fitting Specifications

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
I used 1" schedule 80 PvC pipe and reduced where I wanted to use 1/2" air hose locations. I do all my own work including brake and tire. At those locations I left it at 1" connections so I would have enough air flow to run my 1" air gun. See the chart for PSI ratings for schedule 80 pipe.

Schedule 40/80 PVC Pipe Dimensions & Sizes | Pipe & Fitting Specifications
I know a lot of people use PVC for compressed air because it is cheap, but it is dangerous. Should a pipe/fixture fail it sends sharp shrapnel through the air like a grenade or, no pun intended, a pipe bomb. OSHA has banned the use of PVC and CPVC for compressed air, of course they don't control your private garage.

https://www.cp.com/en-us/compressors...sed-air-system

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/re...ompressed-air/

https://www.usplastic.com/knowledgeb...contentkey=787

Exposion in shop...

Copper, and poly tubing designed for compressed air are much safer. These types of pipes don't tend to explode when they fail, usually just a split seam.

I'm getting close to putting air lines in my garage, would like to do copper but it expensive so I will probably go with poly tubing that you find in the kits.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #4

I used copper over 10 years ago and would do it again despite the cost. Zero maintenance, it has taken number of hits and bumps and is something I don't even think about, ever.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I used 1/2" commercial air brake tubing with brass compression fittings.
Quick and easy installation with 5/8" romex staples and rated for 600psi. Available at any truck jobber.
Whatever you use, don't forget to put an outside quick coupler near your vehicle wash/Rv parking area. This one gets used the most...especially by my neighbors lol.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #6

PVC is not rated for compressed air. Manufactures even recommend hydrostatically testing. No testing with compressed air. When PVC explodes from compressed air it is very dangerous. Black iron pipe or copper is what is installed in most commercial applications.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies so far.

I've seen the results of a PVC type pipe explosion, luckily no one was near it. Back ~40 years ago in the mines they tried to use it. Had thousands of 6" pipe installed as a main supply line. When it exploded there were pieces of it everywhere. Not sure what caused it but I would be hesitant to used a PVC type pipe in my shop.

Copper would be nice but commodity prices have driven the price up substantially. It would provide for a clean installation but cost benefit doesn't work for me.

I have looked at the kits, I talked to my brother and he installed some of this and is very satisfied. Reasonable price for the kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-in-x-10...wAAOSw3KtgSe6E
Additional fittings are available to expand etc.

Still looking at options
Old 04-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #8

On another forum I belong to there is a lot of positive discussion about the Rapid Air system.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
On another forum I belong to there is a lot of positive discussion about the Rapid Air system.

Yes, I've seen a number of good reviews. My brother sent me some pictures of his installation, looks good.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #10

Pex tubing use for air lines

I have done 3 basement shops and attached garages with 1/2" Pex tubing. I run my compressor at 175 PSI and never had one burst. It's relatively cheap and quick to install. The only down side is that it's not as neat as I would like if you can't cover it with drywall. The best part is there are no connectors when doing long runs up to 100 ft. I use my shop daily building SCCA formula/sports racing cars.

Dave
Sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #11

When I built my home shop I ran 3/4” black pipe from the compressor all the way around the ceiling line with 3/4” drops everywhere I thought I’d want a convenient place to connect a hose. I also mounted two 50’ air hose reels up high, one near the main door and one in the back of the shop.
In the 11 years since I built the shop, I can count on my two hands the number of times I have ever plugged a portable hose into one of the drops, other than permanent ones like the blast cabinet and air/hydraulic pump on the press. I always reach for the hanging hose from an overhead reel when I use air tools, inflate tires or drag a hose outside to blow something off.
HiWay-OurWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #12

1/2" black pipe or 1/2" copper, copper is much easier to install. no real need to go any bigger than 1/2" 1/2" at home depot is around 2.00 per ft. not that bad when you figure what other products cost. black pipe would be the best economically but you almost need a pipe threader to make custom lengths.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #13

Jay D just kinda made my point. Although I did circle the shop with black pipe, using one(1) “custom” cut length on each side (the rest all stock 10’ lengths), after years of use, I realized the folly of so much piping. Running a pipe from front to back, along one side, would be enough to supply a hose reel at each end, which would easily provide for almost all needs, especially if the space is primarily an RV storage and maintenance garage.
HiWay-OurWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #14

˝" PVC running all over my paint & body shop for the last 30 years.

Not a single issue.

Schedule 40 is rated for 600 psi. Anything else is overkill.

Tags
air