Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Duo

Air suspension on 2004 Winnebago journey

We just took delivery of a 2004 Winn Journey one of the questions I have is
. Is there anything special I have to do to make sure the air bags re inflate after I ve dumped them to level the coach? It's my understanding that a considerable amount of damage can be caused by driving the coach with the bags not inflated.
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
On mine most often the bags inflate when I start the engine but sometimes it is necessary to push the jacks store button. I do a walk around before driving and look at the tire clearance in the wheel wells to determine the air is up.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

One question for you, are you dumping them and then using leveling jacks? Or using the air bags to actually level the coach?

It sounds like you are using jacks, but just wanted to ask as I know many people have mentioned on here that their manufacturer does not recommend using the bags to level.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLift
One question for you, are you dumping them and then using leveling jacks? Or using the air bags to actually level the coach?

It sounds like you are using jacks, but just wanted to ask as I know many people have mentioned on here that their manufacturer does not recommend using the bags to level.
I'm just using the jacks The book says Dump the air and then level the coach with the jacks, thanks for your response
Duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 2000 Winnebago, when I turn the leveling jack panel on, it dumps the bags. When I start the engine to move I have to wait for the air to build up and the bags to inflate. There is a warning buzzer that will not stop buzzing until the air reaches about 60PSI.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Duo,
Starting the engine should begin to fill the bags. The process I follow to exit the camp site is (beginning at engine start):
1. start engine
2. store jacks
3. while the jacks are storing I do a final walk around. Check to make sure everything is stowed, locked and antenna is down, etc.
4. By the time I return to the driver's seat, the jacks are stored, the coach is at ride height and we are ready to do.

I know the coach is at ride height because of the increased height of the entry step. Consider never driving the coach until it is at ride height. It takes more than looking at the air gauges on the dash or listening for the air relief valve to bleed off excess air. For an unknown reason sometimes (rarely) my front bags do not fill. When I re-enter the coach, after the walk around, I know right away the front is still down (step is low). All I need to do is raise the front a couple of inches and then retract the jacks and the front bags fill. The moral of the story is do not trust anything but yourself via experience.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
As mentioned before, the airbags will automatically inflate to the correct ride height on the Journeys (and many other coaches I'm sure). Once you've got the engine started and the air system back up to pressure (buzzer stops), you can quickly inflate the air bags by pressing the bunny rabbit on the leveling system panel - at least my system has the bunny. That will use up more air so you'll have to set the engine rpm a little higher to keep the PSI up in the air system. Does that make sense? You don't have to use the bunny; it just takes a little longer to inflate.

Hope you enjoy your Journey as much as we do.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Cajun View Post
As mentioned before, the airbags will automatically inflate to the correct ride height on the Journeys (and many other coaches I'm sure). Once you've got the engine started and the air system back up to pressure (buzzer stops), you can quickly inflate the air bags by pressing the bunny rabbit on the leveling system panel - at least my system has the bunny. That will use up more air so you'll have to set the engine rpm a little higher to keep the PSI up in the air system. Does that make sense? You don't have to use the bunny; it just takes a little longer to inflate.

Hope you enjoy your Journey as much as we do.
Same system on my Horizon. Usually, by the time all the jacks lights go off, all the air bags are inflated. However, sometimes I have to press the bunny to get the front bags to inflate.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
We just took delivery of a 2004 Winn Journey one of the questions I have is
. Is there anything special I have to do to make sure the air bags re inflate after I ve dumped them to level the coach? It's my understanding that a considerable amount of damage can be caused by driving the coach with the bags not inflated.
The HWH system on Journeys automatically deflate the air bags when you deploy the jacks.

The system will not automatically reflate the air bags until the jacks are totally stored. There is no indicator light to let you know the air bags are fully inflated, but once they are, you will hear that tell-tale 'pssshh' of air when the coach is fully up. There is an indicator light to let you know you are in 'travel' mode on the HWH jack control panel. This should allow the coach to re-inflate the air bags.

Others have noted that you can also tell by judging how far down the body is in reference to the wheel well or step. Good advice.

Also, have others have stated, do not drive the coach with the air bags deflated, as you can potentially damage the drive train (ask Mike Cody at Camp Freightliner).

As a last resort if you do not feel the coach is fully air'ed up, with the jacks fully retracted, put your foot on the service brakes, and release the park brake. This is also a signal to the air suspension to air the coach up.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote