Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Airstream folks have sipped the Kool Aid many times and just love them. Personally, I would never pay that much for one.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 10:15 AM   #16
PKI

Your link fails.

The NADA value is never correct for an RV. A vintage - anything - is valued from comp sales and buyer opinion.

An AS is special. They sell new, they sell vintage, they sell to be rebuilt, and they sell to be used. Price ranges from free to whatever the seller will accept.

Over-priced - only if you have no interest in the breed. The value of an AS is that it can be taken apart and rebuilt. The down side is that many need to be. Restoration costs are significant, because the work is labor intensive and parts can be hard to source. Given the acceptability of a resto-mod-RV, many alternative solutions can be used and a better result can be achieved. Best would be an updated FRED.

People compliment an AS owner often. "I always wanted one of those" is a common comment. The AS community is very helpful to a new owner as well. Lots of product knowledge exists to support you.

Post - Thor - no, as old as this unit is, it is post the current owner - as good or as bad. Likely some of both. Expect to have to add some of you as well.

Only a P30 - likely - some have been well upgraded - others restored - others used and repaired - some flipped - not all the same. It is a front engine RV with the issues that represents - the same solutions that work on others are applicable to an AS.

The exterior can be clear coated or polished. If the clear coat is damaged, it can be removed and mechanically polished. That polished finish takes a lot of labor or sweat equity to produce.

So, yes - if you want this coach, it's worth $70K. It will be worth closer to $70K in 10 years than a brand new $70K pickup truck will be worth after 10 years of use. Will leave you with better memories as well. That is, of course, my personal opinion.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #17

So someone should buy this one, sell it to double their money?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/r...119262690.html

1983 Airstream 310 Turbo Diesel
Rare vintage class A motorhome, one family owned, 23,xxx miles.
Fluids changed, new fuel injection pump, brakes.
rare special ordered trunk, two AC units, looks and runs excellent!
31' long
$32,500 OBO

Or this one:

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/r...116435308.html

Classic Airstream Motorhome
Classic 1982 Airstream, model #310, owned since 2009 and has been constantly upgraded, maintained and undercover. This coach is in extraordinary condition partially due to the previous owner having had her painted and clear coated. No polishing going on here. The engine is the original Chevy 454, has 77,000 miles and runs great.The interior is the mid bath/shower with rear twins. Laminate flooring throughout and a beautiful queen sofa sleeper in the salon. The pilot, copilot and the two dinette chairs are matching leather by Flexsteel. The Onan generator has been used moderately and has 1100 hrs. Furnace, water heater and four burner cook top are all propane. Fridge with cross top freezer is gas or electric and the microwave/convection is built in as is the ice maker. All of the appliances are in good working order as are the two rooftop A/C units. This coach is equipped with hydraulic leveling jacks and a Wineguard carry out Sat. dish. The tires have only 1700 miles on them and are about four years old.
Those that have seen this coach at Airstream rallies know what an exceptional classic this is.

Or buy both for the price of the RVTrader one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00O0O_4TmC60dqfZk_600x450.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	284742   Click image for larger version

Name:	00U0U_eAgTodikdRY_1200x900.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	284745  

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't think the Airstream motorhomes had quite the cult following that the trailers do, but there is surely enough collector interest to keep the price well above others of the same vintage. The online NADA values are just estimated depreciation and to not represent actual selling prices, so are meaningless in this situation.

I would not pay over about $20k for that coach unless you want bragging rights among the Airstream cult and are willing to pay serious $$ to get them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #19

I bought a brand new 1971 Toyota Landcruiser in 1971 for $1,700. Some of them go for north of $50,000 these days. Collectors pay what collectors pay to get what they collect.

I don't even want to talk about my $4,000 1969 Shelby GT 350.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
That is one very nice 82. Looks to be nicely maintained and restored.

What does he say about the big block chevy engine and drive train?
Airstream used a Oldsmobile Toronado drivetrain, FWD. The body on that one appears rough and corroded.To restore the exterior, would require polishing the aluminum exterior and repainting the graphics, and whatever the windows required.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Airstream used a Oldsmobile Toronado drivetrain, FWD. The body on that one appears rough and corroded.To restore the exterior, would require polishing the aluminum exterior and repainting the graphics, and whatever the windows required.
Believe you are thinking about the Revcon or GMC motorhome. My 82 Airstream was built on the P30 GM chassis with rear wheel drive. My 76 GMC motorhome was powered by a FWD Toronado engine, front end and transmission.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Believe you are thinking about the Revcon or GMC motorhome. My 82 Airstream was built on the P30 GM chassis with rear wheel drive. My 76 GMC motorhome was powered by a FWD Toronado engine, front end and transmission.
Good Catch! Thanks for correcting bad info.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:36 PM   #23

Should I buy this Airstream motor home?

You have been given a lot of good advice. I would not buy it at this price. Get on the www. Airforums &Motor home forum. Read read ,read, and read some more. They have a dedicated group of motorhome owners. They will be able to guide you.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

Post - Thor - no, as old as this unit is, it is post the current owner - as good or as bad. Likely some of both. Expect to have to add some of you as well.
Thor purchased Airstream in 1980. Bought from Beatrice I believe. So post-Thor yes.

I agree with most else you posted, except no mods to a P30 will make it ride any better than a Merita Bread truck. I find these versions of AS the least desirable to restore as they will never have the “class” of an Airstream trailer. The only selection that could have been a worse chassis would have been a dually Toyota
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #25
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
-- snip -- they will never have the “class” of an Airstream trailer. -- snip --
Kind of hard to say that 310 is not just as classy as any AS trailer. But I have an issue with the look of a lot of vintage AS trailers. Not so much when in restored condition and towed with a nice vintage TV.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airstream