Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Alarming Trend in RV Manufacturing

Interesting and alarming read. Its specific to Indiana, but I see people having all kinds of issues with new RVs, no matter where they are made. New owners are having problems and their RVs are at the dealers for months waiting repair.

https://www.rvtravel.com/pathetic-qu...3QWRJ9AKCwwSJQ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #2

Very sad. Hopefully it will get fixed. I thought about upgrading a couple years but hear too many stories and my own dealers take way to long for service now. I am waiting and hoping my unit continues to perform.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #3

That was pasted in rvforums.net too. The editor of rvtravel has a longstanding issue with some other websites if one can believe what is posted. I do not agree with most of what he writes, and some of it appears to be a compilation of what is read here.

If this is an actual problem, one solution is to buy an older Prevost, the vast majority are commercial or entertainer modificatons. Those owners demand and receive prompt service from any Prevost repair center.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #4

I thought you were going to say the trend was for quality.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #5

Exploding sales, supply chain problems, skilled employee shortages etc. is it really surprising there are quality issues? Same with dealer service. Too many RVs to service, not enough techs and parts. Blow up your AC unit? Good luck finding a replacement.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #6

Not news

This all does not sound like news to me. It has probably been this way since 2007 or even before.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
“Train people well enough so they can leave; treat them so well they won’t want to.” – Sir Richard Branson

"If you take care of your employees, they will take care of your customers, and your business will take care of itself.” “Motivate them, train them, care about them, and make winners out of them. We know if we treat our employees right, they’ll treat the customers right. And if the customers are treated right, they’ll come back.” – J.W. Marriott
Old 09-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #8

That song don’t play when your workforce knows they are expendable and will be cut loose at the first slowdown in business. Especially if the competition down the road has higher pay and sign on bonuses. If I were a skilled worker in the RV industry I would be a mercenary and make as much as I can for as long as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
“Train people well enough so they can leave; treat them so well they won’t want to.” – Sir Richard Branson

"If you take care of your employees, they will take care of your customers, and your business will take care of itself.” “Motivate them, train them, care about them, and make winners out of them. We know if we treat our employees right, they’ll treat the customers right. And if the customers are treated right, they’ll come back.” – J.W. Marriott
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #9

Posted/discussed at 7:30 AM today in 5th wheel section
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/corn...ml#post5912414

Posted/discussed at 4:29 AM yesterday in Newmar's Owner Section
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/doe...ml#post5911708
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #10

It's not just the high-end RVs/MHs that suffer from quality issues. I bought my first TT earlier this year--a small 18' Forest River toy hauler--and after crawling in and round the unit to familiarize myself with the unit, I came the conclusion that I could have hired a few 12 year old kids and set them loose with an hour's training and come up with a cleaner build. Never experienced the kind of poor quality construction anywhere else in my 50+ years experience of building/remodeling.
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #11

Poor QC prior to the boom and obviously even worse after.

Ray Charles could have seen that coming.

Businesses do fail because of this as well.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
nice slogan, but from what I heard, their pilots weren't too happy with their work environ.

"My" former service sector employer's work force developed two adages:
1) The beatings will continue until morale improves, and
2) We're not happy until you're not happy.

Due to industry seniority systems, which dictated virtually all aspects of work life, leaving meant starting anew at the bottom and a major salary reduction. So, ya cope.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I thought you were going to say the trend was for quality.
Now that would really be an alarming trend
Jssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #14

Yes, I am sure with the demand and supply problems there are some lower quality units rolling off the assembly line.

What drives me crazy is the constant excuse that driving an RV down the road is like driving a house through a hurricane and an earthquake. That seems to be a narrative the industry uses for an excuse for poor quality. In terms of the Earthquake, Freightliner, Ford, and Spartan do an excellent job of making RV's a very smooth ride. In terms of a hurricane, most items are completely shielded from the wind.

Just lame excuses for poor quality.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote