Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #1

Alaska 2019 Report

We returned from our Alaska trip last week, I will include the routes on google maps at the end of this report. No we did not caravan with commercial operators or others. Just our coach, wife and myself.

First off, to the naysayers that Alaska will ruin your rig or tow vehicle, I say Nonsense! We received our obligatory chipped windshield the first day we crossed into Canada on DRY, paved highway when a log truck threw a stone. That's it, that's all the damage 12,000 miles in 2 months that occurred.

Although we didn't take the Dempster or the Haul roads, we did take the "Top of the World Highway" and yes it is mostly dirt, but we were able to do the speed limits without fuss nor damage. I would follow the advice to not go on a rainy day or after it rains, but otherwise it was GREAT. Be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning your rig after that portion.

I will also comment that the roads in Alaska were not as good as the roads in Canada including the US portion of the TOW highway.

My hat's off the Renegade RV for making the most enjoyable and trouble free rig I have owned and it was ideal for this trip for *us*

Also my hat's off the RF Mogul. We replaced our in motion domed satellite dish with their open array dish and enjoyed HD satellite TV all but 3 nights when I was too lazy to move away from some obstructions.

A few folks asked about our theater seating upgrade, and it too was one of the best investments we made. A HUGE difference in comfort and no signs of wear.

I strongly urge anyone sitting on the fence about going to Alaska to get off the fence and go. The eye candy, the people, everything about the trip was beyond anything we imagined.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer as best I can.

Here are the routes:

Florida to Tok, AK:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/St.+...63.3366667!3e0

Tok, AK to Florida:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tok,...d29.910184!3e0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190612_131147.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	254196  
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks for that!
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #3

Thanks for posting your adventure. Looks like a great trip.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #4

It's good to see some Alaska reports. This site needs an Alaska dedicated forum.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. I spend 5 months here working for Holland America/Princess cruises and have been coming here off and on since 1972 when I first drove the highway to be stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. I know Alaska well.

One mistake made so often by people coming to Alaska is they come at the wrong time. The BEST time to come here is to arrive in Mid May and stay till Mid June. This period is some of the best weather, your chances of seeing Denali increase greatly, animals are out and virtually everything is open with a few exceptions.

People are often of the misconception that because it is far north it will be cold. Fairbanks is the hottest place in the state during the summer with the sunniest skies and by late June and July can reach into the 90's.

But whenever you go the OP is correct: Don't buy the line that you need to be in a caravan...There are plenty of fuel stops along the road, the road is fine, the driving is easy.

And definitely take the TOW highway it's a great drive.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the post and yes, we need a Alaska Forum!!

You're routes look like you covered it all. Glad you came down the Cassier on your return. Both routes, the Alaskan Hwy & the Cassier have a lot to offer.

It's an awesome, easy trip and RVers of all sizes shouldn't hesitate doing it. If you can take three months time it's worth it.

We didn't have any damage to either our 40' MH or towed Jeep.

I say "Take the trip"!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We will - we will! Planning for 2020 - keep the posts coming!!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We did about the same route coming from East TN. We also decided to take the Cassier Hwy, glad we did. We stopped in Hyder AK on our way to do bear viewing, what site.

We did take a longer route in that we went to Vancouver, then down to Washington, Oregon, and into California for a Napa wine country tour.

We put on +14K miles in 3 1/2 months, definitely a trip to remember.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska