Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #43

We are in bear country here, I have a 12 ga Mossberg 500 series pump with exchangeable barrels, you want the short barrel and slugs for easy handling. For game hunting my favorite rifle is my Browning X Bolt Long Range Hunter with muzzle brake in 300 Win Mag. Be careful mentioning/displaying any firearms in certain parts of Canada, some people are very opinionated.
Bear bangers and bear spray are good options also.
NEVER use a firearm for protection against human predators, you may be able to defend your life but as reward you'll rot in jail.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
If you are not planning on hunting bear, I’d go with just the shotgun (short barrel but legal) and a mixture of slugs and buckshot.

I own and have shot a 45-70 a fair amount. Mine, a Marlin 1895, is not as handy as an 870 Marine shotgun. It’s also heavier. Just a thought.

I spent two years in Alaska in 69-70, during the period when they were building the pipeline. I was in the Military and spent 3 of 4 weeks in the woods. We always kept one 7.62 rifle with live ammo in case of bear, but never had to use it. Moose during mating season can be very aggressive too.

For the shot gun, I would want slugs not buckshot, for the rifle anything above a 30-30 will handle black bear. Grizzly, the bigger the better.

In my two years in the woods, we never did see a bear, or even bear tracks, but hundreds of moose, caribou, and smaller critters. Porcupines and skunks are far more common.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #45

My brother lived in AK for years. There are several different ways you need to be concerned. I also lived in Yellowstone.

One of them is getting your camper torn apart like it was cardboard. Are you camping in the backwoods? Learn what foods you should and shouldn't take and where to keep it. I don't care how tough you think your camper is or if you think a black bear won't tear it up follow safe camping practices. If you think its a good idea to keep/cook bacon in your camper...dont. Follow safe food keeping practices by hanging food in tree and using bear proof containers.

Bear spray isn't going to be much help when you are inside and they are outside trying to get in because they can smell your tasty food. I have a bear hunting caliber rifle, way too much caliber for self protection. Others have made good suggestions.

Bear spray is fine along with prevention like bells when out an about. Although when we went backcountry fishing with a guide in AK in 2015 they had a long gun with them. My brother has pics of bears coming up and taking his fish as he is reeling them in, they weren't much interested in him.

They don't really want to eat you. They want to eat what you ate. Living in Yellowstone and hanging with the rangers in the 80s before changing the camping regs related to ban soft side campers there were some pretty gruesome stories.

Use common sense. Don't eat bacon for breakfast and bring ham sandwiches on your hike. Don't surprise bears, make noise. If you think its a bad idea then don't go there/do that, listen to your little voice.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
My brother lived in AK for years. There are several different ways you need to be concerned. I also lived in Yellowstone.

One of them is getting your camper torn apart like it was cardboard. Are you camping in the backwoods? Learn what foods you should and shouldn't take and where to keep it. I don't care how tough you think your camper is or if you think a black bear won't tear it up follow safe camping practices. If you think its a good idea to keep/cook bacon in your camper...dont. Follow safe food keeping practices by hanging food in tree and using bear proof containers.

Bear spray isn't going to be much help when you are inside and they are outside trying to get in because they can smell your tasty food. I have a bear hunting caliber rifle, way too much caliber for self protection. Others have made good suggestions.

Bear spray is fine along with prevention like bells when out an about. Although when we went backcountry fishing with a guide in AK in 2015 they had a long gun with them. My brother has pics of bears coming up and taking his fish as he is reeling them in, they weren't much interested in him.

They don't really want to eat you. They want to eat what you ate. Living in Yellowstone and hanging with the rangers in the 80s before changing the camping regs related to ban soft side campers there were some pretty gruesome stories.

Use common sense. Don't eat bacon for breakfast and bring ham sandwiches on your hike. Don't surprise bears, make noise. If you think its a bad idea then don't go there/do that, listen to your little voice.
Mr. Forky...Thank you so much for the Sage advice Luckily my wife and I will not be doing any "real" roughing it in the back woods..too old and just a little too plump for that to happen. Not to mention my wife wouldn't do it anyway.

As far as "what" to take for any walking/hiking excursions, I'm really leaning toward the Marlin 45-70 with a big Buffalo Bore Round. Like I've said before..."I absolutely DO NOT want to use it, however...if I must, I want something that will put it down and/or slow it down long enough for me to stop the threat. I am one that also looks out for others as I DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO GET HURT...EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think the 45-70 is a better choice for walks and short hikes than a Shotgun with slugs??? I was thinking of the Shotgun with Double 00 Buck for in the Campground for safety reasons and to NOT put others at risk as much as the 45-70 would.

Really appreciate your comments and input....

Can't wait to see Yellowstone

Old 11-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoenjoy View Post
very few individuals can maintain their composure when attacked by bear , wasps ,other humans , millennials , etc . Avoid all that by proper food and garbage storage . We used to tent camp for a September bear season . That is where after 15 years , a bear broke into my cooler !!! while we stayed in a cottage in town !! choices for me -12 gauge with slugs , and a .44 revolver .One or the other on my person at all times .
John, I totally agree with you... I'm a lifetime hunter/shooter and am reasonably good at both long gun and hand gun. I really lean towards the long guns because any shooter know just how easy it is to MISS a target right in front of you with a hand gun...sight plane is way to short.

I know that I would not be as confident nor IN CHARGE looking into the face of a truly threatening carnivore. I do feel "my chances" of survival would go up a good amount with the "longer weapon"...in addition, if I was in the position of saving someone else, I'd be much more able to place a more accurate shot with a rifle whereas I'd very possibly pass on all buy a point blank shot for fear of striking the individual being attacked...I could never live with that!!!

I truly appreciate ALL the responses and the Level of Respect that we are sharing in this thread....THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #48

Here is some official info from the folks that will be greeting you at the border. Have a good trip.

Import and Export a Firearm or Weapon into Canada
Old 11-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #49

Howdy!

We are planning to go to Alaska again next year. Our last trip was several years ago. Like you Wandertaker I read as much as possible about firearms and problems crossing through Canada with them. Everyone recommend bear spray. I left my guns in Montana and decided to purchase bear spray when we arrived in Alaska. I could find bear spray but no holsters to carry it in. Also during our stay which was three and a half months in Alaska there were several bear attacks and they were not in the boonies, they occurred in the populated areas. I have decided not to return on this trip without firearm and purchase my bear spry and holster before hand. I plan on taking a 45 long colt rifle on the crossing through Canada. I also plan on shipping from the lower US to Toke, Alaska 45 Long colt pistol to be picked there.

I read about RVer’s in recent years that carried shotguns through Canada on their trip to Alaska. I also read have read this entire post and some state you may encounter problem crossing into Canada with a firearm when questioned why you have it. So what is the best response to the question crossing into Canada when asked?

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Old 11-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

We are planning to go to Alaska again next year. Our last trip was several years ago. Like you Wandertaker I read as much as possible about firearms and problems crossing through Canada with them. Everyone recommend bear spray. I left my guns in Montana and decided to purchase bear spray when we arrived in Alaska. I could find bear spray but no holsters to carry it in. Also during our stay which was three and a half months in Alaska there were several bear attacks and they were not in the boonies, they occurred in the populated areas. I have decided not to return on this trip without firearm and purchase my bear spry and holster before hand. I plan on taking a 45 long colt rifle on the crossing through Canada. I also plan on shipping from the lower US to Toke, Alaska 45 Long colt pistol to be picked there.

I read about RVer’s in recent years that carried shotguns through Canada on their trip to Alaska. I also read have read this entire post and some state you may encounter problem crossing into Canada with a firearm when questioned why you have it. So what is the best response to the question crossing into Canada when asked?

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Chief.... I also have thought about that answer too if asked at the border.

I've also heard and read the stories about bear encounters in towns and campgrounds. I'm certainly NOT LOOKING to go out and look for bear encounters except from the safety of my one ton pickup AND at a safe distance.

Thanx Chief for your input...very appreciated!

Old 11-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #51

I live I the sticks, I have Black Bears walking through my yard all the time. They ignore you. I have yelled at them to get a better look from my deck. The screw you look they give me is fun.

That said I would use a .308 for anything 100 yards out. Close up not sure if you will be walking around with a shotgun all the time?!?
Old 11-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
I live I the sticks, I have Black Bears walking through my yard all the time. They ignore you. I have yelled at them to get a better look from my deck. The screw you look they give me is fun.

That said I would use a .308 for anything 100 yards out. Close up not sure if you will be walking around with a shotgun all the time?!?
Mark... I understand the .308 for over 100 yards...however, I think I'd have a hard time Spainin' that one to the Conservation Officers

All I want is something that will "stop" a truly imminent threat to Human Life if the need should ever arise.

Thanks for your comments Mr. Mark

Happy and Safe Travels

Old 11-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Chief.... I also have thought about that answer too if asked at the border.

I've also heard and read the stories about bear encounters in towns and campgrounds. I'm certainly NOT LOOKING to go out and look for bear encounters except from the safety of my one ton pickup AND at a safe distance.

Thanx Chief for your input...very appreciated!
Hey Chief... I just found this on the link that Mr. TripleEEE sent me...thanx Triple!!! It may be the answer to the question that we along with many others have had. Check out below and see what you think

Visitors to Canada

To import firearms into Canada you must have a valid purpose. Valid purposes can include:
  • hunting during hunting season;
  • use in competitions;
  • repair;
  • re-enactments;
  • in transit movement, i.e., moving in the most direct route possible from point A to point B, through Canada; or
  • protection against wildlife in remote areas.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Read most responses, some informed, some not so. Fill out the paperwork on any weapons before you get to the border, and know how many rounds you have with you can print forms online and about first thing said while crossing is I have weapons, they will ask. As long as you have the info and don't have the look of a crook the crossing is EZ, they like your money. We saw so many black bears we lost count, but the first grizzly was on the bike trail in Valdez and we were 40' away. Now with the food thing covered, the weapons. I too have a few guns. My first choice was what I took a Rem 870 7 round mag in 3", loaded with 00 buck and slugs. For those that think a 12 gauge won't do the job, just go shoot one. Now if I were to take a rifle, 30 cal would not be my first choice. I would look at no less than 338 with a heavy bullet and for me 375 H&H with a 300gr Bands bullet. If you do have the need it will be VERY VERY short range and the 500 grains of slug or 500 grains of 00 is hard to beat.

LEN
Old 11-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Read most responses, some informed, some not so. Fill out the paperwork on any weapons before you get to the border, and know how many rounds you have with you can print forms online and about first thing said while crossing is I have weapons, they will ask. As long as you have the info and don't have the look of a crook the crossing is EZ, they like your money. We saw so many black bears we lost count, but the first grizzly was on the bike trail in Valdez and we were 40' away. Now with the food thing covered, the weapons. I too have a few guns. My first choice was what I took a Rem 870 7 round mag in 3", loaded with 00 buck and slugs. For those that think a 12 gauge won't do the job, just go shoot one. Now if I were to take a rifle, 30 cal would not be my first choice. I would look at no less than 338 with a heavy bullet and for me 375 H&H with a 300gr Bands bullet. If you do have the need it will be VERY VERY short range and the 500 grains of slug or 500 grains of 00 is hard to beat.

LEN
Len...I'm looking at the Marlin 45-70 carbine with Buffalo Bora ammo...whatchathink????????????

I also thought that Canada limits the number of rounds "any" firearm can hold....I thought I saw 6 rounds listed somewhere.... Do you have any idea??? Thanks

Old 11-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
A single slug from the 45 70 will do the job. I would practice at under 25 yards and make sure you can hit a 5" plate very quickly and I would shoot a 400 gr bullet they do rate this bullet to elephants. But again my first choice is the 12 gauge, a slug at 435 gr at more speed than the 45-70. If you want to try something shoot a 4x4 with a slug and 00 buckshot the damage is unreal. For a simulation get a 5 gallon bucket take it out 25 yards or so and have someone at run away from your back with a rope tied to the bucket. It will bounce around coming at you. If you need any weapon you need to hit the target, moving fast. Making noise while hiking is most likrly better than any weapon you can carry. Any of the bears we were near new we were there and didn't pay much attention to us, too interested in feeding. The rangers in Dinali feared the black bears more than the grizz, they said there they were more unpredictable.
Did a short search on the mag capacity and seems to be 10 rounds in any type of weapon and five forn rifles except the M1 garand which is 8. Even a 10-22 is limited to 10.

LEN