Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
6mm

All Electric MH

Not owning a motor home yet I have to ask this question.
What is the advantage or disadvantage to a all electric motor home.
Does this mean when you have no shore power you have to run the generator a lot more.
I am sure this has been asked a million times but could you guys please explain again.
Thanks
6mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 6mm,
Some of the advantages and disadvantages depend on the type of RVing you do. For me, I RV with full hookups. This means I am less concerned with battery life and running the generator than those who boondock. That being said, the advantages of all electric is the refrigerator is a real residential refer. This out weighs everything else. It is big. No long cool down times. No fluctuation in temperatures because of the outside temp. No defrosting. No coolant leaks that catch fire.

No propane tank to refill. It always happens when I need propane, the filling station location is not compatible with where the propane tank is located. The next coach will be all electric.

FYI, at full power my generator takes about 1 gallon per hour. Fuel usage is negligible at less than full power.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
For one thing, all electric MHs is a fairly new concept. Therefore you're talking new and of course much more expensive.

Your average on the road MH is equipped with a propane furnace, water heater, oven/stove and a fridge which will run on propane and 120vac. This allows you to dry camp (no hookups) and run the genny just to charge batteries, run a microwave or the AC when needed. A small inverter is used to run low power 120v items like the TV.

With an all electric MH, you will have a residential fridge which runs on 120v only. All the others items mentioned will also be 120v only. I've never had one and never will. However, they are setup with a huge battery bank, a high output alternator and a large inverter to convert 12vdc to 120vac. I'm sure all this works well going down the road except the A/C units.

At the campground (CG), there is never a problem. It's only when you you dry camp when you'll need to run the genny a lot/often. Some folks who like to dry camp, will add a $3000 - $5000 solar system to offset running the genny.

The bottom line is, if you are planning on going from CG to CG and an ocassional overnight stay in a rest area or truck stop, you will do well with an all electric coach. If you are the type to go out in the middle of nowhere for a week, then probably not.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
YC1

Curious. If all electric does that mean no heater via propane as well. I know, all electic may mean all electric but inquiring minds need to know. I boondock a lot and would not like all electric. That said I bought two induction cookers so I can leave my stove top cover on and put the cooking devices anywhere I want. They are neat. Temperature controlled, timed if wanted, and they heat incredibly fast. They draw very little current as well.

With all electric it might be a problem with 30 amp service but I do not know. Perhaps things run off huge inverters and the 30 amp would mostly keep the batteries up.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post

With all electric it might be a problem with 30 amp service but I do not know. Perhaps things run off huge inverters and the 30 amp would mostly keep the batteries up.
I would have to guess an all electric MH (100a) on 30a service would be a hassle, especially in hot weather when you need 2-3 AC units.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Curious. If all electric does that mean no heater via propane as well. I know, all electic may mean all electric but inquiring minds need to know. I boondock a lot and would not like all electric. That said I bought two induction cookers so I can leave my stove top cover on and put the cooking devices anywhere I want. They are neat. Temperature controlled, timed if wanted, and they heat incredibly fast. They draw very little current as well.

Heat comes from a boiler in the basement. Runs on either electricity or diesel (from the main tank).
Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Have been sitting on the fence on this subject, LPGas or Electric Refrig. Now since I now have a very sore crutch, I think I will just keep the large two door Dometic another few years, as long as it is not acting up nor leaking as I keep an eyeball open in that direction. Point is, whenit needs replaced, will put another exact model in provided they still make one that fits the same hole, guess about $4,200.00, In checking the current counter depth two door units, about 25 cu ft, they run abt $2,000.00, and take some wood working by a skilled chap.
So in the end, it is a crap shoot.

I only use LP for the refrig and the two burner surface stove top, the heat and water heat is by Aqua Hot, diesel fired base board heat. So if I remove the LP stuff, remove the lp tank and fittings, I have good space to add 2 more 8D Gel Batteries, bringing the total to 5 ea 8D Gel batteries, that should be enough for a day or so, a 1125 amp hr bank.
Wide open to thoughts
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2. My Coach is all electric, I will never go back to propane.
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Gold Viper,
Yes, understand the all electric, that is my goad I guess, just sittin on the fence.
I also haul a ATV, CanAm 800 Max (2 seater) in the F150, love Custer State Park, Q and others.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I have done a lot of research on the all electric and when my propane/electric refer goes, I'll go with a residential. Might even replace the cooktop and be done with propane all together. All electric coaches are built to be self contained and do not need to be hooked to shore power on a continuous basis. We have friends with all electric and they can go 24 hours with out having to run the generator. Good enough for me.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
YC1

I didn't think of the aquahot for the hotwater and heat.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Curious.
How does the All electric coach function on 20 or 30 amp shore power?
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Looked at all electric. Nice functions that were added. We like the propane (cooking, heat, hot water (unit has el/gas hot water), and the passenger side propane out-let for the BBQ. Unit does have a residental refer. Also has 4 very large house batteries (cost +- $700@ to replace I've been told) that have kept all going (refer and el heat from roof AC/Heat pumps, water pump ect) for 48 hours w/o the auto gen start kicking on. We are used to gas at the stick house, and prefer gas when cooking. just ones thoughts.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
How does the All electric coach function on 20 or 30 amp shore power?

I have very limited time (no hot weather) on 20 amp. I changed the charger settings for the batteries. The inverter takes up any lacking power, then when usage drops it goes straight into charge mode.

Instead of pulling 35 amps for 20 min you'll pull 15 amps for an hour. Assuming 20 amp. 30 amp would be easier, I haven't plugged into a 30 amp yet. EMS will control draw.

Like I said I haven't done any hot weather, but this Dutch Star has so much more insulation then our old Providence that I think I could make it bearable. I find out next summer.