Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #1

All lanes of major Memphis bridge closed

Heads up for anybody traveling through Memphis. The I-40 bridge across the Mississippi is closed due to a crack in the bridge. All traffic is being diverted to the I-55 bridge. I-55 bridge is better known as the "old" bridge. It's narrow and 2 lanes in each direction. Huge delays already.
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 02:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco1 View Post

Heads up for anybody traveling through Memphis. The I-40 bridge across the Mississippi is closed due to a crack in the bridge. All traffic is being diverted to the I-55 bridge. I-55 bridge is better known as the "old" bridge. It's narrow and 2 lanes in each direction. Huge delays already.
The south bridge is known as the Hanrahan Bridge. It's capable of handling the traffic.

The problem will be getting the traffic to the bridge. I can see downtown's Front Street to be a serious problem. And the north I-40 loop doesn't connect to the south bridge without hitting city streets.

At least they have 2 bridges across the river.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
PKI

How about the 240 South loop?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Going to be interesting what the repair is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	am5o2k0onry61.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	328161
Old 05-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #5

Yikes!! For that break, they could probably just weld some steel plates around the beam. No doubt though, they need to figure out why it broke, whether or not there's a systemic issue that could lead to more failures, and what to do about it. That's likely going to take a while.

NPR had a story this morning about the OTHER backup this is causing. They're not allowing barge traffic on the river under the affected section of the bridge either.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Yikes!! For that break, they could probably just weld some steel plates around the beam. No doubt though, they need to figure out why it broke, whether or not there's a systemic issue that could lead to more failures, and what to do about it. That's likely going to take a while.

NPR had a story this morning about the OTHER backup this is causing. They're not allowing barge traffic on the river under the affected section of the bridge either.

It will be interesting as to the solution they come up with but I doubt you'd get a Professional Engineer to sign off on simply welding a plate over the crack.

You are correct in that they need to determine the root cause of the failure.

From the picture it looks like the two pieces have been moving against each other.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #7

Reminds me of driving up to the approach to the I-35 bridge into downtown Minneapolis years ago and wondering why all traffic just stopped a block from the bridge.

Turns out there was no bridge . . .

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We usually try to avoid Memphis altogether and cross on US-412.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The south bridge is known as the Hanrahan Bridge. It's capable of handling the traffic.

The problem will be getting the traffic to the bridge. I can see downtown's Front Street to be a serious problem. And the north I-40 loop doesn't connect to the south bridge without hitting city streets.

At least they have 2 bridges across the river.

No, the south bridge is the Memphis Arkansas Memorial Bridge. The Harahan is a railroad bridge and also carries pedestrian traffic. Between the MA bridge and the Harahan is the Frisco bridge which is railroad only.

Before the MA bridge opened the Harahan did carry vehicle traffic on outriggers on each side of the bridge. One lane on each side. Those roadways were basically abandoned after the MAMB opened in the late 40s.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote