Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2022, 03:08 PM   #1

Allison Transmission Service Light & Shift Points

I have a 1996 American Eagle VF40 with an Allison Transmission. While pulling my full sized Tahoe through Saint Louis on a trip from Indianapolis to OKC my "Service" light came on in the transmission panel. It seems to be shifting differently, I don't recall previously but now any shift is done at 2300 rpm. The shifts are now harder but it is still shifting. My question to this group is, is there something wrong with the transmission or does it just need to be serviced? I have this fear of being ripped off so I want to know as much as I can before taking it to one of the truck dealerships here in town.

Scott Baber
Scott526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #2

Your Allison transmission controls are a system known as WTEC II ,( World Transmission Electronic Controls ) and I have no hands on experience with that system , as My transmission is WTEC III .

I do have a file that may be of some use and will try and post it here for you .

It may not come through because of it's size .

Yep; too large a file , I'll look for where I got the file and link you to it.

EDIT : OK the pdf is available here in the forums ; in the " Files " drop box ; in the chassis section , look for " Allison MD 3060 Troubleshooting " that file should give you a good understanding of what's going on , including the throttle position sensor used on the mechanical Cummins engines .
Which maybe your problem .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Files drop box.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	374029  
Old 08-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Shifting at 2300 RPM? That's extremely high RPM for any diesel engine to operate at, probably its red line, so certainly not the normal rpm for a shift. "Service" is this case means more than just it needs fluid or a filter - something isn't working correctly in the shift management. Shifting is a cooperative effort between the engine ECM and the Allisons TCU. Yes, something is very wrong.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Call Allison, ask their tech for info. Also, send a sample of the fluid for testing....I do it annually to JG Lab in Houston. Their owner helped develop Transynd. You will get a detailed chemical analysis and a recommendation as to it's quality.

https://jglubricantservices.com/
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:31 PM   #5

When you take it in.... and you should .... this site will help:

https://www.allisontransmission.com/...ervice-locator
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
...throttle position sensor used on the mechanical Cummins engines .
Which...
Our rig -- 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck converted to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
Cummins 505ci/8.3-liter mechanical.
Allison 3060.
Our throttle position sensor went toes-up sometime around 2003.
This trans operates on 'Line Pressure'.
The TPS is redundant.
Our TPS was broke/disconnected/ate-by-rats going on two decades ago.
I am vastly amused at the 'Do NOT Shift Under Penalty Of Eternal Darnation!' light on the instrument panel.
One of these days, the bulb may burn out, and I will feel as though I lost an old friend...
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #7

There's a separate section on this forum for Allison Transmission that you may want to visit. It's under 'RV Forums' then 'Powertrain'.

Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #8

Allison Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott526 View Post
I have a 1996 American Eagle VF40 with an Allison Transmission. While pulling my full sized Tahoe through Saint Louis on a trip from Indianapolis to OKC my "Service" light came on in the transmission panel. It seems to be shifting differently, I don't recall previously but now any shift is done at 2300 rpm. The shifts are now harder but it is still shifting. My question to this group is, is there something wrong with the transmission or does it just need to be serviced? I have this fear of being ripped off so I want to know as much as I can before taking it to one of the truck dealerships here in town.

Scott Baber

When was last time tranny filters and fluid was changed or even checked?
Old 08-18-2022, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Your Allison transmission controls are a system known as WTEC II ,( World Transmission Electronic Controls ) and I have no hands on experience with that system , as My transmission is WTEC III .

I do have a file that may be of some use and will try and post it here for you .

It may not come through because of it's size .

Yep; too large a file , I'll look for where I got the file and link you to it.

EDIT : OK the pdf is available here in the forums ; in the " Files " drop box ; in the chassis section , look for " Allison MD 3060 Troubleshooting " that file should give you a good understanding of what's going on , including the throttle position sensor used on the mechanical Cummins engines .
Which maybe your problem .
Thank you, this is very helpful.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Shifting at 2300 RPM? That's extremely high RPM for any diesel engine to operate at, probably its red line, so certainly not the normal rpm for a shift. "Service" is this case means more than just it needs fluid or a filter - something isn't working correctly in the shift management. Shifting is a cooperative effort between the engine ECM and the Allisons TCU. Yes, something is very wrong.
Thank you for the info - I am taking it in today.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
When you take it in.... and you should .... this site will help:

https://www.allisontransmission.com/...ervice-locator
I found the service center in OKC using this tool. Thanks
Old 08-19-2022, 07:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Fluids are all checked before every trip. Bought the coach in 2019 - previous owner had records of fluid and filter change w/in 10k miles. I have put less than 10k on it.

When service light came on I stopped and checked the fluid for level - OK, smell - not burned, color - nice and red.

Thanks,
Old 08-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott526 View Post

Scott Baber
Update - The manual showed me how to get into the diagnostics on the shift panel. It reported a 21 12 code and no other codes. This is "Throttle position sensor failed low and ECU signals 100 percent throttle". So, I called NAPA and they have a TPS for about $450. I locate the TPS in the coach and it looks nothing like the new one from NAPA. I found a youtube video that says new technology has replaced the old sliding contactor/resistor type TPS. Has anyone installed this new tech? I am concerned about taking the old TPS off before having the right part.

Tags
allison, transmission