Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anyone know how long it takes to acclimate to high elevations? I am going to Yellowstone next year and I remember having troble breathing at Mt. Mitchel in N.C. Thanks for any answers. James Wilson
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anyone know how long it takes to acclimate to high elevations? I am going to Yellowstone next year and I remember having troble breathing at Mt. Mitchel in N.C. Thanks for any answers. James Wilson
Old 07-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #3

Based on my own experience (at age 60) when we did volunteer work in New Mexico (above 6,500') it took me a good 10 days to acclimate. Even then, everything I did was slower than at sea level. Today we live at 4,500' and I never noticed any difficulty.

How quickly you acclimate, if you ever do, depends greatly on your state of health. If you have heart problems or respiratory problems, altitudes above 4,000' may not be recommended. If you have health difficulties, check with your doctor before you make that trip.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #4

Drink lots of water. Mike
school man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:44 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife and I both experienced problems at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We had driven in from New Mexico so we had some prelimiary adjustment but the climb from 4,000 to 8,000 feet took under 1 hour.

We had both had lots of water in the previous 48 hour period but it was another 24 hours after we arrived before the headache and lack of energy went away. After that, we hiked several of the trails albeit at a very leasurely pace. When those trails had some climbing associated, we took frequent brakes. We did not feel that our activities were significantly impacted after the first 24 hours but we continued to take things slowly for the remainder of our stay.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone. I am in fair cond but always a little shortwinded. I guess I better plan on a few more days enroute at 4 to 5k before arriving at West Yellowstone which is at 6660 ft.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #7

2 Toy Poodles, Casey and Cassie