Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #1

Aluminum collapsible ladder

Does anybody have one of the collapsible ladders and what is your opinion, thanks Tim
tvschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2022, 12:24 PM   #2

We have one. Works great for what it is. Can get on top of coach with it and stores easily under coach. Do have to be careful when closing it.

It's not a step ladder so it's not good for a few things.

Tom
Old 08-13-2022, 05:22 PM   #3

I did a lot of reading on these recently, trying to decide between adding a ladder to the back of my RV versus getting one of the telescoping ladders. I decided to go with the telescoping ladder based on not wanting to drill into the outside of the RV and roof, and many reviews comparing both options that concluded this is preferred.

I wanted an entry level cost, but also a ladder that won't drop me. I like quality in my ladders because I don't like to fall. I don't plan on using this a lot -- but if the AC soft start fails or I need to inspect or repair a branch strike on a trip, I want to have the option.

Anyway, I went with this one. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01LAHCO...roduct_details
It's a lower cost option with lots of reviews and ANSI tested. I've only tested it, but it seems pretty solid. It's not bad to carry and will fit in a few different places in the RV (haven't picked a spot yet).
ChesterRVs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:26 PM   #4

I have one and use it climb up to blow off the top of my slide rooms before retracting them. I have a fifth wheel and it stores easily in the basement.
C Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:29 PM   #5

I have an Xtend n Climb 785P and think it is great, not as cheap as some of the others, but it feels sturdy and does not sag as much as some of the cheaper ones.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought one when we purchased our 2019 Dutch Star without a ladder. Make sure you buy one that extends at least 3' taller than the roof or you'll find it difficult to transition from the ladder to the roof.

I looked on Amazon and bought the one with the highest weight capacity and good ratings. I keep a short length of pool noodles that I place on one side when I lean it against the coach.

Lastly, when using it, try and place it so one side is against a slide out. This way it won't slip, at least in that direction, and you can often step on the top of the slide and then onto the roof.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:42 PM   #7

Mine was an average one with decent reviews off Amazon...no complaints and does the job.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:53 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvschultz View Post
Does anybody have one of the collapsible ladders and what is your opinion, thanks Tim
I have one from Extend it is very good, and when I need, I can get up on it. It stores easily but watch your fingers when closing it up.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:31 AM   #9

I have one, and wish I had bought it years ago. I’ve used it around the house more than I thought I ever would.
Look for one with a stabilizer bar at the base. It’s a bit more of a pain to store in the RV, but it makes it very stable.
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2589.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	373601  
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #10

I just bought one to use (it has not yet arrived) and my question to those of you who have one and use it on your RV is - how to you avoid scratching the side or top of the RV when you use it?

Since it collapses I don't see how I can glue felt or some other soft material to the side that will lean against the RV, and it seems like a lot of trouble to try to wrap a towel around the top every time I will extend it and remove it every time I collapse it. Any ideas?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:28 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I just bought one to use (it has not yet arrived) and my question to those of you who have one and use it on your RV is - how to you avoid scratching the side or top of the RV when you use it?

Since it collapses I don't see how I can glue felt or some other soft material to the side that will lean against the RV, and it seems like a lot of trouble to try to wrap a towel around the top every time I will extend it and remove it every time I collapse it. Any ideas?
When you get it, extend it and see which section of the ladder will touch the roof. Mark that section with a Sharpie. Get a pool noodle, cut two pieces to the length of the section that will touch the roof. When you use the ladder, as you start to extend it, attach the pool noodles where you marked the ladder with the Sharpie.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #12

The two pieces of equipment most likely to kill a construction worker are the service truck and the ladder. I personally would not touch one of the telescope extendables . Their are too many parts that could fail and send you flying. Good safe ladders have very few moving parts.
I get the attraction, good sturdy ladders are not going to fit well in an RV.
But I'm not climbing one of those. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
I have one, and wish I had bought it years ago. I’ve used it around the house more than I thought I ever would.
Look for one with a stabilizer bar at the base. It’s a bit more of a pain to store in the RV, but it makes it very stable.
[ATTACH]

To make it easier to store, replace the bolts that hold the stabilizer with trailer pins that will slide in and then lock. Makes storing easy work with out the stabilizer and quick set up when ready to use. Bought a couple 3 or 4” from Lowes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	373668
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:17 AM   #14

I like my Little Giant levelor. As a full timer, I find that I use it a lot for various maintenance on the coach. It may be heabier, but its the steadiest and most versitile ladder I have ever owned. It works on uneven ground very well. I've seen lots of the telescoping ladders around parks I frequent, but at 73, there are none of them I would ever climb on.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote