Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2022, 07:02 PM   #43

telescoping ladder

Been full timing in a new Entegra for 5 years and bought an Extend on sale at a local Sherwin Williams. I carry it in the cap of the pickup I tow. Works great! Strongly suggest you get the silicone cover for the top rung. It protects the paint and prevents the ladder frfom sliding.
oggiedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #44

Telescoping Ladder

Recently purchased this one on Amazon: STEPTECH Telescoping Ladder 15.5 feet, Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder with Stabilizer Bar One Button Retractable Ladder Soft Close Collapsible Compact Ladders for RV 330 lbs Capacity https://a.co/d/gu18EeS

Extended it to full height for the first time this week and easily got on our MC to clean a year’s worth of grime off the solar panels. Had to read the instructions twice and watch a YouTube video, but ultimately relatively easy to extend. I like the ideas suggested to use pool noodle pieces to keep the aluminum rails off the bus finish, and to secure the stabilizer bar with steel clips rather than the bolts for storage. I felt much safer on this than my 16’ aluminum extension ladder, and it actually retracted slowly as advertised, but still a bit unnerving the first time.
Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #45

I have been using one for many years. Very sturdy and simple to use. People learn from pinch points. Avoid cheap copies.
wwjw689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:22 PM   #46

I had what I thought was a decent $200.00 extension ladder that I loved….simple easy, fit in several of my bays but after three years with what I thought was maintaining it properly and mind you, I only weigh 150lbs the extensions started to slip and then one link completely snapped in half on my way to the top of my RV…..I was not hurt but it scared the heck out of me…..I don’t think I will buy another. I went with one of those 12 foot utility ladders that folds in 4 sections….can be used as a table or a stand off on a wall.
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:34 PM   #47
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have this folding 7' ladder that collapses to app 4"x5" in size and store it in a 5" PVC fence cover. The sewer hose stores in the other. I have since moved them to separate bays for convenience.
https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-.../dp/B009IJUL4O
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SewerLadderStorage.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	374269  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvschultz View Post
Does anybody have one of the collapsible ladders and what is your opinion, thanks Tim
Since it is no a step ladder, I use a 5 for aluminum (very light) step ladder and keep it stored in my coach. The collapsible is Greta for outside and stores under the rig.
Franey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:13 AM   #49

I have one. It does what it's supposed to but it's very heavy and not easy to store.
Danj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:49 AM   #50

I researched many of these telescoping ladders. The price range is all over the map. Most are made over seas and many have reviews that have indicated accidental collapse or “bending” I just bought a USTEPS ladder. It comes in 3 sizes. I bought the 11.5 ft which is enough to reach and get up on my rig. These are made in the US and are rectangular tubes with very secure extensions and extremely easy to close. I feel safe and am happy with this. You get what you pay for.
Hfgraef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickc1296 View Post
If you have the link, that would be super helpful.

Here you go

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
To make it easier to store, replace the bolts that hold the stabilizer with trailer pins that will slide in and then lock. Makes storing easy work with out the stabilizer and quick set up when ready to use. Bought a couple 3 or 4” from Lowes.
Excellent idea - I always wondered how to use the stabilizer bar. This is it - thanks.
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #53

I have used one for about 6 years. Works as it should.
ointerlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #54

telescoping ladder

The Extend brand has a thick silicone accessory that snaps over the top preventing scratches as well as preventing the ladder from moving side to side against the paint. I also cut a few pieces of gray pipe insulation to pop onto the support tubes between the rungs wherever the rungs may contact my coach. Extend also has a custom carrying bag for their ladders where I keep a few of these with my ladder.
oggiedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #55

Recommendation for ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvschultz View Post
Does anybody have one of the collapsible ladders and what is your opinion, thanks Tim
Ok, it's really, really important to get the right one because there are lots of really, really bad ones on the market. We bought two and had to return one. it crushed our fingers and pinched skin no matter what we did. The second one was so weak we could not in good conscience return it for refund, we sold it for scrap after disabling it as a ladder.

We finally settled on Wolfwise, from Amazon. It's Chinese, of course, but the quality is quite good. We got a 15' ladder because our rig is 12' tall, and I wanted to have something to grip when getting on and off the ladder. The mechanism WILL NOT pinch you. I am 250 lbs, and this is rock solid for me.

Suggestions:
Build a 1/4" plywood storage box for it, with handles. This is a heavy ladder, and adding substantial handles to the box makes is worth the time and effort. We store the whole thing in the chase car's trunk.
Buy a pool noodle, slit it up the middle, and make foot-long bumpers to protect your rig at the contact point.
USE the foot stabilizer.
Don't work aloft alone. (Who's going to do the fetching?)
MBrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:48 AM   #56

Yes I have one and I use it all the time. I am not a young man anymore and it is the best ladder for me to access the roof. I have a class A diesel pusher.
dloneal68 is offline   Reply With Quote