Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #1

Unhappy Am I just being cheap...?

Since selling our 2000 Coachmen Class A two years ago (in very good condition - according to the buyer, who said he had seen some nightmares,) we've been working on the house and finishing up some projects. So, now we're thinking it's time to get back into RV'ing again, only this time, we'll do a TT so we can "drop it" and take off for local sights.

I recently bought a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport (2 door) with only 68,000 miles on it, and a nice big V-6 and with a towing package (4680# capacity) in it. (We're thinking about a 19-22 foot TT).

So, I started looking around for a TT that is not brand new, would look alright with the car and short of getting in to "real retro"... I'd like to get something around the same year... (2000-2004, 'cause the looks of the new ones are pretty hard to take - They remind me of something like a refrigerator boxes with wheels and not many windows or Quonset huts going sideways).

I started my search on line by typing "2001 Travel Trailers For Sale" and hoped the search would produce some worthwhile results.

Wow! Was I ever shocked!
Not only did the search service completely ignore the year (all it showed was 2021's dealer models...) And, the rest of the results were a lot of "RV Trader" results... (Just goes to show who's paying the most to the Google gods...)

Well, thinking I could click on a promising result listing as, "2001 Travel Trailers"... RV Trader said "Your search only produced three results!"
Okay Let's take a look...

Seriously?!?

Based on these prices for well used 2001 TT's, I must have given my Class A away for a song...! (I sold it for $9K with the tow dolly...)

I'm in sticker shock, and I haven't stepped into a TT yet.
Maybe, I'm just cheap... Or... Maybe I should keep looking at what Kelly Blue Book or the NADA says is "Average Retail"...
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #2

Prices are way up.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #3

I have been looking for new to us MH. TT and fifth wheels are all over Craigslist here in the south. Have you looked there?
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #4

Welcome to the pandemic panic. RV prices are way up. If you can wait until things get closer to back to normal there maybe some real deals to be had. You might also try a facebook marketplace search. I found a rig there but it took a while. I didn't buy it but it was worth looking at. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #5

I just Googled and this came up:

https://www.rvusa.com/rvs-for-sale/u...year_high=2001

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...rtBy=price+asc
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #6

Try offer up, there are plenty there, starting at $6000-$8000

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1114...railer&cid=5.3
Old 05-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgem2 View Post
Try offer up, there are plenty there, starting at $6000-$8000

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1114...railer&cid=5.3
Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/GJDJh5igYfb
Old 05-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgem2 View Post
I know this is off topic but I have to ask, why would anyone put a rig up for sale and then take a picture that includes the mattress in a horrid state like this one. I am often baffled at the pics some people include in their for sale ad.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I know this is off topic but I have to ask, why would anyone put a rig up for sale and then take a picture that includes the mattress in a horrid state like this one. I am often baffled at the pics some people include in their for sale ad.
I would, if it was mine, and have for past trailers sold - not the mattress specifically, but anything that's physically wrong or damaged is pictured and described. It's honesty. I'd rather have the buyer go into it knowing what they're getting than to put them and me through the trouble of coming out hoping to buy only to discover something like that and back out.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #10

Offerup can be pretty amusing to absurd. I click on many things just to see what the heck it is only to find they felt no need to add any kind of description. Tires are my favorite. How dumb does one have to be to not know people in the market for a tire need to know what size it is?
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:51 PM   #11

I think you are over-optimistic about the length of TT you can safely tow, especially for any long distance.
You must know the specs for your SUV then use this online TT weight calculator to accurately and safely determine how much weight it will tow and handle.
Forget about a TT unloaded weight UNLESS that's the way you intend to tow the trailer, only use the TT GVWR when making calculations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:36 PM   #12

Thanks for the table...
Just as I expected. The actual weight "rating" for a TT of the SUV is 5180# and a 900# payload. Using the calculator, it came in at just under 4600#.
And, because I am looking for a "lite" TT I'm hoping not to exceed a factory weight of 3800-4100#. (Dual axel, of course).

Cheers!
Old 05-03-2021, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
LOL!!! Love the description of "Open Box - But never used"
Of all the (s)camper listings, Offer-up is on my least trusted list.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:56 AM   #14

Years ago I towed a 2003 Pioneer TT 19T4 with a 1999 V8 Mercury Mountaineer. The TT didnít have any slides. I donít remember the weight (Iím old) but it wasnít heavy. It was within the weights posted as the Montaineer was capable of. It was a totally unsuitable as a tow vehicle despite a weight distribution hitch, LT tires and a rear suspension upgrade. It wagged horribly when passed by large vehicles and the 302 V8 strained to pull the trailer and gave horrible gas mileage. I traded it for an F250 which was much better suited to towing. I think youíre going to be very disappointed with a V6 version of a very similar vehicle

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote