Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Am I paranoid? How about you?

Knowing how often I have been checking the tire pressures in the DW's "new to us" motor home, and hearing me tell stories I've learned in this forum about improper and improperly inflated tires, the DW already suspected paranoia.

But when she learned I wanted TWO protective devices (setting the air compressor to regulate to 45 psi while additionally having a passive 40 to 50 psi regulator in the line) when blowing out the water lines (to prevent any chance of over pressurizing and damaging all the water lines), she thought that was starting to cross the paranoia line!

A combination of entering the RV ownership world only three months ago, plus my job running a nuclear power plant having "what's the worst thing that could happen" as part of every job brief - even those jobs having nothing to do with the nuclear part of the plant - is probably responsible for my (healthy?) paranoia.

Do any of you have similar paranoia when it comes to your RVs?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

No
As a Control Operator "steamer' Power Plants we got to make on the fly judgement calls ---no by the book procedures (best be able to justify your judgements/actions)

So I check/adjust air pressures in AM of travel day and once again on Next Travel day

As for winterizing using air
One would be negligent NOT using a regulator set for 40#-45# so as NOT to cause damage
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #3

We bought our first RV of any kind 4 years ago. If I were extremely paranoid, I would never enjoy the RV lifestyle. If you do your required maintenance, practice backing up in a parking lot and take your time, you should be able to enjoy.
I read somewhere; Good luck favors those that are prepared.
Yes bad things happen but they will be things out of your control.
I hope you enjoy more than you worry.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Bring on the paranoia!!

If I'm the guy that has to fix it then I'm going on the paranoid side.

If someone else is going to fix it them let them call the shots, just don't call me for help!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Having suffered a blowout of both rear passenger side tires on I70 East of Denver last year I did 2 things. I replaced all 6 tires (they were 8 years old) and I bought a tire pressure monitor for my new Allegro. I would not describe myself as paranoid but I try to keep a relaxed eye on things.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webz View Post
We bought our first RV of any kind 4 years ago. If I were extremely paranoid, I would never enjoy the RV lifestyle. If you do your required maintenance, practice backing up in a parking lot and take your time, you should be able to enjoy.
I read somewhere; Good luck favors those that are prepared.
Yes bad things happen but they will be things out of your control.
I hope you enjoy more than you worry.
I did exaggerate a bit. Paranoia is probably the wrong word to use. Perhaps "prudent caution" is a better term (which includes as much as possible not putting yourself in a position if a single component fails, of having a big problem on your hands!).
Old 10-28-2020, 10:54 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
There's a fine line between being prepared or being paranoid.
Be as prepared as possible and you'll be just fine.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:03 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by budh9534 View Post
I did exaggerate a bit. Paranoia is probably the wrong word to use. Perhaps "prudent caution" is a better term (which includes as much as possible not putting yourself in a position if a single component fails, of having a big problem on your hands!).
I think I like the term "prudent caution". I'd couple that with preparedness.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:13 AM   #9

Reference tire pressures, get a TPMS and properly set the pressures. I have the EEZtire and the monitor "sleeps" if no activity after a period of time. Prior to a travel day I "wake it up", let it find all the sensors, and check the monitor for the pressures. I do this early in the getting ready to travel process so if I need to adjust pressures, I have time.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But when she learned I wanted TWO protective devices (setting the air compressor to regulate to 45 psi while additionally having a passive 40 to 50 psi regulator in the line) when blowing out the water lines (to prevent any chance of over pressurizing and damaging all the water lines), she thought that was starting to cross the paranoia line!

Your wife is right - TWO regulators inline is paranoia for a short-term operation that is always monitored by an operator (you). If it was something you were going to hook up and leave in place unattended, my answer might be different.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #11

Am I paranoid? How about you?

“A combination of entering the RV ownership world only three months ago, plus my job running a nuclear power plant having "what's the worst thing that could happen" as part of every job brief - even those jobs having nothing to do with the nuclear part of the plant - is probably responsible for my (healthy?) paranoia.”

No, not paranoia but my long instilled idea of “check it again” mentality came from my career as a nuclear plant control room operator. When we were troubleshooting a problem an early supervisor would tell us to “check it again” when we’d report back info. So we’d go back, look again and.....and again and sometimes, something was missed.
Still do it today.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #12

NOPE. Certainly not about a front tire blowout in my Dutch Star. It's simple, do nothing with the pedals! Simply do NOT get brain freeze, just instantly properly give it he!! with the steering wheel (keep it in your lane, and then think about what to do next).
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After 55 years driving, about 2 million miles, and worrying about everything my stress levels were out of control. So I stopped.
I check tires and all systems before each trip. Now life is better.
Have had only two blowouts in all those years and miles.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #14

I check the tire pressures each time before heading out.

And I kick them and check the lug nuts for heat each time stopping.

And don't even ask how many times I walk around/look under before leaving a site.

So yeah, I'm paranoid.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote