Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Amazon to share your WIFI at your expense!!!

Amazon thinks it's OK to share your wifi bandwidth with the world. If you use Amazon Alexa devices and Ring devices they are going to share your bandwidth with the world. So you will be paying for them to use your bandwidth for free.

You need this and turn off this feature especially if you're on metered internet, like a Hotspot.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/am...ource=facebook
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Amazon thinks it's OK to share your wifi bandwidth with the world. If you use Amazon Alexa devices and Ring devices they are going to share your bandwidth with the world. So you will be paying for them to use your bandwidth for free.

You need this and turn off this feature especially if you're on metered internet, like a Hotspot.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/am...ource=facebook
Yes I heard about this, and I don't think my older Alexa and ring cameras are equipped for Sidewalk, but even if they were I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing.

From what I understand they would only use a tiny bit of your bandwidth, and conversely they'll use a little bit of your neighbors bandwidth, perhaps to help your devices, like security cameras and ring doorbells. They want to do this to sort of make a mesh network, to fill in wifi gaps.

So I'm not going to automatically jump on it and make a determination this is something evil, it might end up being a great thing.

But you can go to your Alexa settings, and see if Sidewalk is in there, and if it is you can simply turn it on or off. I think if you turn it off with one major device, it turns it off for all of him, but I'm not sure.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
From what I understand they would only use a tiny bit of your bandwidth, and conversely they'll use a little bit of your neighbors bandwidth, perhaps to help your devices, like security cameras and ring doorbells. They want to do this to sort of make a mesh network, to fill in wifi gaps.
How are they going to use 'your neighbors bandwidth'? If you have a security protected network, then the 'device' should have no access. I for one, don't want someone dictating how my bandwidth is used, especially Amazon.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not a techno geek but played with enough security cams and local networks to see some cool stuff that some may take as a no no or breach...

Certain camera or devices have built in proprietary security internally that allows a secure and swift connection for you the user to set up and connect from remote connections, cell phone etc.. ALL easy and automatic..

Many systems want a VPN, port forwarding and lots of setup...custom, fort knox style.. but these systems like ring , alexa and many many others have a different avenue.. to share 2 way connections, see video and talk back thru device..
As mentioned a mesh style network can be formed, it can be secure to a point thru the proprietary companies programing.. nothing is perfect secure so...concern sure..
Just Like Windows 10 is configured to share updates over local networks and internets..

You dont want that service, turn it off, your phone will do much of the same depending on apps and connections, beware.....
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Amazon to share your WIFI at your expense!!!

From what I understand this is for the ďfindĒ my lost stuff primarily. The data used will be unnoticeable in quantity and is securely protected from your net Ö. according to Amazon. Now if you donít like Amazon I can see your being concerned. The question that comes to mind is If you donít like Amazon Ö why do you have one of these devices that already shares a ton of info? Itís only if you own a Amazon device like a echo etc that anything gets shared.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #6

To me this is a no brainier. Turn it off. I am the only person that will determine how my devices and my bandwidth are used. Neither Amazon, nor Facebook, nor the US govt will dictate how my resources are used or shared.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #7

Heh, Amazon's PR department really screwed the pooch on this one.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
How are they going to use 'your neighbors bandwidth'? If you have a security protected network, then the 'device' should have no access. I for one, don't want someone dictating how my bandwidth is used, especially Amazon.
The same way they would use yours. When you hook your devices up to your Wi-Fi, you type in the password, so they have permission to use your router. Again, what I've read is that it's just a tiny fraction, and it should not affect your internet speed or anything. But the bottom line is you can opt out.

I do admit having it happen by default is a little shady, but it has been reported everywhere, so people that want to opt out and do so.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #9

It is scary how easily we allowed others via technology to enter our lives. Science fiction and Hollywood fantasy are becoming a reality. We are constantly bombarded with targeted advertising based on our web searches and now we will no longer be able to get away unless we leave all of our devices behind. Even then, will this mesh network read the blue tooth signals from our TPMS devices and via serial numbers report our locations to whomever? I guess the end result is that we will no longer have any expectation of privacy, anywhere on the planet.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:56 PM   #10

Mesh networks are secure... until there not. Once a hacker finds a vulnerability , they potentially will have access to everyone nationwide that are conected to the various 'local' mesh networks.

An individual running a WiFi network is not a juicy target for the big hacker groups as the return isn't worth the effort. The reality is the consumer grade modem/routers nearly everyone has as scary easy to hack. It's just not generally worth the hackers time to go after individuals.

Now add a mesh network that a hacker group could find a vulnerability and gain access to thousands of individual people's WiFi networks nation wide.. Now the effort to hack the system is worth the effort.

IMHO, the very nature off mesh networking home WiFi networks together makes them a target, that is not worth the small additional benefit.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
From what I understand this is for the ďfindĒ my lost stuff primarily. The data used will be unnoticeable in quantity and is securely protected from your net Ö. according to Amazon. Now if you donít like Amazon I can see your being concerned. The question that comes to mind is If you donít like Amazon Ö why do you have one of these devices that already shares a ton of info? Itís only if you own a Amazon device like a echo etc that anything gets shared.
I bought and installed my Ring cameras before Amazon bought them out. I disabled sidewalk on my Ring App.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #12

I sent an email off to Amazon inquiring when they plan on sending me the portion of my internet bill they will have to pay me in order to use my bandwidth... I await a response.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:06 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
To me this is a no brainier. Turn it off. I am the only person that will determine how my devices and my bandwidth are used. Neither Amazon, nor Facebook, nor the US govt will dictate how my resources are used or shared.
IRS does exactly that. Just sayiní
Old 06-09-2021, 06:00 AM   #14

I've been watching for this setting to show up on my account for 2 weeks. I updated the app on my devices last night and still don't see the setting. I'm wondering if it's even/ever going to show up.

Tags
wifi