Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #29

Just wondering - why do you avoid FlyingJ/Loves' etc.
frazierdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #30

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
In the local area we normally use ARCO as they usually have the best cash price and the one closest to the house is easy to get into and out of even when I'm hauling the car hauler. Never had a problem with it. On the road, The key issues are major brands, including ARCO and accessibility.

Cash?? I do not want to carry enough cash to fill my DP 90 gal tank once a day or two while on the road!!

I almost always use Pilot/Flying J for the 3 cent discount and 3% off with American Express card. With my previous gas Class C I used Costco only if available.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #31

I use the following site: Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder when we are traveling. I can put in my route and then look at possible stations where we will stop and when I click on the station site, it will show me what the station looks like and I can determine whether I can get in without any problems. We also use Gas Buddy to check prices while traveling.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With motorhome I normally use Flying J/Pilot or Kangaroo (Shell) Truck stops. They're most convenient to the routes I usually travel. When I'm off my normal beaten path I use Diesel fuel prices and surcharge in highway truck stops to locate the most convenient and to compare prices.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #33

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I use Phillips 66 in town here, but will use any of the ones listed here:

Top Tier Gasoline
Very interesting, as I suspected ARCO fails.

KTK
KenTheKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #34

I lived near a storage facility for gas products. The following tankers used the same refill areas to fill their tankers and deliver. They had to pass my road on the way out of storage ; Arco, Shell, Astro, Chevron, Space Age. None of them brought in gas products but all took out gas products from the storage areas. When do they put in the company additives, never did see that on the lot? So I go where the cheapest gas is for the day. Never did have a bad tank and I am sure alcohol was in it/ I'd hate to view the car's gas lines and fuel filters. Must be a mess.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
I lived near a storage facility for gas products. The following tankers used the same refill areas to fill their tankers and deliver. They had to pass my road on the way out of storage ; Arco, Shell, Astro, Chevron, Space Age. None of them brought in gas products but all took out gas products from the storage areas. When do they put in the company additives, never did see that on the lot? So I go where the cheapest gas is for the day. Never did have a bad tank and I am sure alcohol was in it/ I'd hate to view the car's gas lines and fuel filters. Must be a mess.
All gas in the pipeline and in storage tanks is pretty much the same. The additives are added when filling up the trucks.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
"Top Tier gasoline" is misleading. This is because "Top Tier" is a company, NOT a description of gasoline. Even Wikipedia warns that their own description of Top Tier gasoline is an advertisement, NOT a 'neutral view'.

this is all to say that, for example, "Chevron with Techron" is a Top Tier gasoline- NOT because it's been proven to be a "top of the class" gasoline, but because Top Tier the company helped MAKE it. If anything is true, "Top Tier" is a very clever name for a company...

Techron and other Top Tier gasolines may be the bomb, but that doesn't necessarily mean non-Top Tier gasolines are inferior.

Every once in awhile someone may buy some "bad" gas, and automatically blame the BRAND of gas. Usually, bad gas is the fault of the retailer who sold it to you, NOT the gas itself...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Mostly Disagree.. Top Tier is more a standard than anything else. You pay to have your additive tested and certified just like any other certification group, like 'API' and 'SAE'.

And Wiki's statement that it 'appears to be written like an advertisement' is not a 'warning' that it IS an advertisement.

But, just like any other standard, you can follow or not, your choice.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Turns out I'm just as misleading
---however, to quote MFA Oil Company's website:
Quote:
All Break Time Convenience Store gasoline is enhanced with TOP TIER additives – giving you superior performance. TOP TIER Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency...

While I erred in stating Top Tier was a company, it's easy to arrive at that conclusion by the way the above statement reads. Regardless, I'd love to know
what exactly ARE the additives, WHO makes them, and some actual test results would be nice.

NONE of which can I find anywhere...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe I am crazy but I know there are other refineries on the West coast, because DH works at them............Shell, BP, Tesoro and there are ton's in CA and other states. As far as fuel goes we prefer Shell.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
Turns out I'm just as misleading
---however, to quote MFA Oil Company's website:

While I erred in stating Top Tier was a company, it's easy to arrive at that conclusion by the way the above statement reads. Regardless, I'd love to know
what exactly ARE the additives, WHO makes them, and some actual test results would be nice.

NONE of which can I find anywhere...
Each company makes its own additives and they are highly secretive about them..
Old 09-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
We have lunch as often as possible at flying j after we fill up mid day on any day we travel, but I was just laughing when he I sit outside at 747 am drinking coffee and my wife opens the door to tell be what our years total gas bill has been....damn So funny
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo
I will go just about anywhere that sells a quality fuel and I can fit my 60 ft. train. That usually means a truck stop. However, I will only use Exxon if I have absolutely no other choice, regardless of price. I have been boycotting them ever since they refused to take responsibility for the Valdez spill many moons ago. At least BP paid up and then fought responsibility later against the folks who actually caused the spill.
Oh lord,
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas