Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
American gas stations, do you have a preference?

When traveling in the States I try to avoid Arco and like to use Chevron. This is because in the past I have gotten bad tanks of gas or diesel from Arco or some of the smaller stations.

Have I just been unlucky or have others found that the fuel is better from some outlets than others?

I work in the oil and gas industry here in Canada and know for a fact that the same gas goes to many different name brand stations. Here on the west coast Chevron is the only refinery left as they do not have a refinery in the tar sands. All the rest of the companies do and finished product is shipped to the coast with the crude. So not much difference here.

Thanks

KTK
KenTheKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used Arco gasoline when I resided in California with no problems with the quality of the product. Their gasoline is generally priced several cents less than the competition at any given location. I agree, Chevron is a good gasoline, although it is a bit higher priced than some of the other brands.
That being said, when I am traveling in our motorhome, I look for stations with a reasonable price, and "easy in, easy out" locations.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
One of the most useful apps that you can download is called GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada By becoming familiar with using this website you can locate the best prices and locations for fuel. I avoid the usual Flying J/Pilot/Loves and usually fill up at other truck stops that have high volume and many with a cash price discount.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With gas prices on the rise price is top priority. I think brand fuel is becoming a non factor as all contain ethanol, all are same octane with little or no difference in the product. Some add their own additives but who knows if they are beneficial. It all comes through the same pipeline with a slug of water to separate the different purchasers( Chevron, BP Kangeroo, Valero, etc.) Some base their preference on which gas card they carry. Ditto on the easy in-easy out.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

The biggest thing for me is easy in easy out. I like to stay with Chevron, Esso and Shell as I am familiar with their product. Who knows what resides in the tanks of the smaller low volume dealers? I avoid Arco because of difficulties paying with Canadian cards.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
I buy gas at Costco or Safeway, diesil at Pilot/FJ, never had a bad tank.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #7

I try to buy Chevron. I've been doing that for about 6 years. It works best in the newer vehicles that I've had.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Appreciate the info.

Thanks

KTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
One of the most useful apps that you can download is called GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada By becoming familiar with using this website you can locate the best prices and locations for fuel. I avoid the usual Flying J/Pilot/Loves and usually fill up at other truck stops that have high volume and many with a cash price discount.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
It all comes through the same pipeline with a slug of water to separate .
This is different than how it is done here. Here they don't add water but pack product against product and the portion that gets mixed (called interface) it run through a quick refining process. Remember the art of the process operations is blending for maximum profit.

KTK
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Only the Harley get's Chevron or Shell 91 octane. Boat gets anybody's 91 octane. Car gets anybody's 91 octane. Motorhome and truck get whatever 87 octane is cheap. Jet Ski get's anybody's 89 octane. Travels east of Nevada, the mh will get 91 to help with the hills and because it's cheaper than 87 in Nevada. Have not had a problem with this plan. I will steer clear of 85 octane and pay the extra for 87. We have a VP gas station in town that has 95 and 100 octane at the pump. 115 octane by 5 gallon cans. (avgas) Ran the 100 in the Harley once. Was definately faster, but the check engine light came on untill I ran it out of the tank and it made the engine run noticeably hotter. Didn't like that to much and won't do it again. I don't know how accurate this is, but I understand that Arco is able to offer lower prices because they don't accept credit cards, only debit cards. Someone told me that gas companies that allow credit take a certain amount of loss throughout the year due to bankruptcies, since most credit cards are unsecured credit. Because of that it's reflected to some degree in the pricing. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have a fundamental understanding of business economics and it's make sense.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
[QUOTE=. Someone told me that gas companies that allow credit take a certain amount of loss throughout the year due to bankruptcies, since most credit cards are unsecured credit. Because of that it's reflected to some degree in the pricing. .[/QUOTE]

Once your card is run and accepted, the vendor gets paid by the Credit Card bank regardless if you pay your bill or not. If you fail to pay, the Bank eats the loss, that is the why the really high interest rates to pay for such unsecured loan failures. The loss the vendors take is the 2 to 6% cost charged by the CC company to process and handle the transaction.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
Once your card is run and accepted, the vendor gets paid by the Credit Card bank regardless if you pay your bill or not. If you fail to pay, the Bank eats the loss, that is the why the really high interest rates to pay for such unsecured loan failures. The loss the vendors take is the 2 to 6% cost charged by the CC company to process and handle the transaction.
Ahhhh! Thanks for the clarification sir.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OF course the bank only pays a percentage (Say 98 cents on the dollar) so if you buy 100 dollars worth of fuel the bank pays only 98,, or less (likely less since banks have been getting more and more "Portly" when it comes to their fees) This is in addition to any fee the bank charges you for the privledge of letting them gather fees from the stores you shop at Neet isn't it. And the smaller the purchase, the bigger the bank's percentage.

I like to look for stations selling Gasoline, they are becomming harder to find, (Most stations sell contaminated gas, got alcohol in it) Now I do admit 1-2 percent booze in the winter in Michigan, Good thing, but 8-10, or more, not so good.

CITGO and Kroger show a definate lack of "10 percent" stickers on their pumps.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I use Phillips 66 in town here, but will use any of the ones listed here:

Top Tier Gasoline
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas