Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2022, 06:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
And so...Good Byes are Hard

I want to say thank you for all the learning, answers and help for the past 5+ years we have spent here. We started with our fiver and then moved on to our motorhome. In October while driving home on route 70 we were hit when a driver failed to see us . . . luckily no one was hurt but our poor motorhome sustained a lot of damage, to the point of it being declared unfixable, so today the insurance company called to tell us it is officially demolished and they are making arrangements to have it picked up at the repair shop. We emptied it out on Thanksgiving, fully expecting this to be the outcome.

We may return to it one day, I hope we will as we enjoyed it. The cats are probably hoping that does not happen! But as we close this chapter I am very sad, the tears are ready to flow.

Stay safe, travel safely, and again.....thank you.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Our condolences and best wishes to you in your future plans. We are glad no one was injured and saying goodbye to an "old friend" is never easy. Stay in touch with the forum when you can.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:40 PM   #3

Happy Trails LynnD. Never stop dreaming and enjoy every day.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:44 PM   #4

Whoever hit you needs to carry a white cane. Motorhomes are big; how could he not see it?!
Old 12-05-2022, 07:56 PM   #5

This certainly is a nice environment for fellow RVers/TTs/etc to share and assist. I too have learned a ton.

Some parting advice....

Glad nobody was hurt in your accident! One of my RVs was totaled 2 years ago (...thankfully nobody was hurt). Before the insurance company towed it away (after a few weeks of claims/etc) I asked, "Is it okay if I pull the TV and some other items?" They said "Go ahead". I took that to mean I could pull anything I wanted before they hauled it away. I have a couple other RVs so I knew I could use lots from the totaled RV. I pulled a relatively new convection microwave oven, TV, DVD, vent fans, coach batteries, all the tools, hoses, filters, campsite items, etc. Felt pretty good about that as most of the items have been reused on my other RVs (...I bought a replacement one for the one that was totaled). They never said a word when it was picked up, etc and they gave me a check for what we had agreed on.

Looking back, I wish I would have taken MORE items. The Onan 4000w generator for one would have been nice (...I had to replace one on one of my other RVs and they are not cheap). Maybe the spare tire/rim. Bumper end caps. Propane tank gasket/washer. Shower head/hose. Can't remember if the mattress was newish. And anything else that I might need with one of my other RVs. For me, with 3 RVs, these extra parts/items come in handy and I usually get a chance to use them.

Let us know what good stuff you manage to keep :-)

Hopefully they give you a nice big check. Then when prices go down over the next 1-2 years you buy an even nicer rig than you had.

Happy Camping!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:04 PM   #6

Sorry to see you go.

May you have fair winds and following seas wherever your travels may take you.

Dave & Kandi
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #7

Sorry to see you go, but thankful that no one was hurt. One adventure may be coming to an end, but just look at it as an opportunity to start another. Enjoy life and all its adventures!

Take care and stay safe!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #8
PKI

Condolences

Condolences on your loss. Having the RV totaled is not a very satisfying travel adventure. Good luck sorting out your ongoing lifestyle.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:54 AM   #9

And so...Good Byes are Hard

We have been motor homing since 1998; but two weeks ago, we sold our third motor home. We had to give up the lifestyle. We are both 81; and due to health issues, it was time. We had traveled almost 400,000 miles using our three motor homes. The day we sold it was a Great day because we sold it, and it was a Sad day because we sold it. Hopefully, all of you know when it is time. I know we will miss seeing all the friends we have met across this country. I am sure that you experienced the same feelings. Safe travels to all.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:01 PM   #10

Hope the next adventures have better high points and less low points!
Old 12-06-2022, 01:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
We have been motor homing since 1998; but two weeks ago, we sold our third motor home. We had to give up the lifestyle. We are both 81; and due to health issues, it was time. We had traveled almost 400,000 miles using our three motor homes. The day we sold it was a Great day because we sold it, and it was a Sad day because we sold it. Hopefully, all of you know when it is time. I know we will miss seeing all the friends we have met across this country. I am sure that you experienced the same feelings. Safe travels to all.
Mr Boyer, your post really touched my heart. I so wanted to be making a similar post in a few years. Hubby and I are 68 and 69, so we really wanted to do this for a few more years. I really thought we might need to do so 2 years ago when I ended up in the hospital and medical care for a few months. I suppose that was my warning. . . but I really hope we will return to it when or if the right unit comes along.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
This certainly is a nice environment for fellow RVers/TTs/etc to share and assist. I too have learned a ton.

Some parting advice....

Glad nobody was hurt in your accident! One of my RVs was totaled 2 years ago (...thankfully nobody was hurt). Before the insurance company towed it away (after a few weeks of claims/etc) I asked, "Is it okay if I pull the TV and some other items?" They said "Go ahead". I took that to mean I could pull anything I wanted before they hauled it away. I have a couple other RVs so I knew I could use lots from the totaled RV. I pulled a relatively new convection microwave oven, TV, DVD, vent fans, coach batteries, all the tools, hoses, filters, campsite items, etc. Felt pretty good about that as most of the items have been reused on my other RVs (...I bought a replacement one for the one that was totaled). They never said a word when it was picked up, etc and they gave me a check for what we had agreed on.

Looking back, I wish I would have taken MORE items. The Onan 4000w generator for one would have been nice (...I had to replace one on one of my other RVs and they are not cheap). Maybe the spare tire/rim. Bumper end caps. Propane tank gasket/washer. Shower head/hose. Can't remember if the mattress was newish. And anything else that I might need with one of my other RVs. For me, with 3 RVs, these extra parts/items come in handy and I usually get a chance to use them.

Let us know what good stuff you manage to keep :-)

Hopefully they give you a nice big check. Then when prices go down over the next 1-2 years you buy an even nicer rig than you had.

Happy Camping!
Chris
Thank you Chris, appreciate the advice. We are being paid for many of the improvements we made this year, especially the 6 new tires we put on this summer and the new TPMS!!

One of my very dear friends passed away a few years ago, just before we had planned on visiting Branson together. I miss her but I have a feeling that she has been looking out for me. Stay safe out there!
Old 12-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #13

Sorry to hear you lost your Motorhome, but it's good you are safe.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #14

Sorry to hear this.. but please don't leave us here.. we / I may.. need your help and experience.. so please don't just leave us without your knowledge.. we still depend on your wisdom and opinions to help us.. you still have a lot to contribute... thank you.. and to the many great members here..
Good luck and keep us posted