Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Reminder

Political comments have no place in the forum so please keep them out of the discussion.

Thanks to all posting within the rules and on topic.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 01:53 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Based on a few quotes from the OP's linked article the problem campers don't sound like they are from the homeless population.

"People who’ve packed up their boat, trailer, camping gear and kids become desperate, and a growing number appear unwilling to accept defeat."

“People were literally fighting over campsites,” said Carroll. “What we experienced this year was certainly a general level of increased frustration and anxiety of people not being able to get their campsite. There seems to be less general common courtesy going on.”

While fistfights and campsite piracy are extreme examples, interviews with rangers and land managers make clear there is growing anger and sometimes violence at Oregon’s crowded campgrounds."

"Rangers have reported not only being physically assaulted, but being stalked by campers with firearms and even attacked by campers’ dogs."
BobGed is offline   Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR60 View Post
A lot of this has come out since covid. People seem to think they are entitled! Without any rules, Society is just a bunch of people pushing the limits to see how far they can get! DR
Even with rules, scofflaws will continue to break them until they are made to answer for their transgressions.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Even with rules, scofflaws will continue to break them until they are made to answer for their transgressions.

I completely understand, By letting them get away with breaking the rules, It just tells everyone else that its OK, Do what ever you want! DR
DR60 is online now   Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Pandemic factors (remote work opportunities, school closures, social distancing requirements, & diminution of traditional vacation options) served to significantly increase demand for camping/campsites in general, and public campgrounds specifically, while campsite supply remained flat and campsite support (camphosts, rangers, maintenance personnel, etc.) was reduced.

The demand side has motivated most campgrounds to move away from 1st come availability models to reservation required systems. This has had the unfortunate and unintended influence on some (many?) to game the reservation system (i.e., make multiple reservations for same date-range). As a result, and as observed in both the OP posted article and in other IRV2 threads, a significant number of "reserved" campsites go unused and, more frustratingly, inaccessible to anyone else.

The combined effects have incurred a loss of trust, feelings of less control (at a time when control over personal health and well being was already challenged), and the perception (real, imagined, or fabricated) that others are getting away with something/receiving special treatment. Thus the barrage of traditional and social media reporting on a, seemingly, ever-increasing number of stories involving rude/uncivil behavior.

While we cannot, individually, "fix" the supply/demand issue, we can use our voices and economic influences to motivate campgrounds/parks towards better, TBD, reservation systems & models. And perhaps, most important, we can evidence our own civility, compassion and, where possible, be a tactful and effective arbiter/activist for fair and equitable behavior.
rosebud1218 is offline   Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I’ve always wanted to do a trip to the Oregon Coast.
I don’t know if I want to go that way anymore.
Not because of this event, but because of what I see on my TV screen,
Pretty scary.
I guess I can add Washington State to the scary places too.
Not worth the extra diesel, I’ll stop at Glacier
Don't let the sensationalism on the news and this thread prevent your family from enjoying the Oregon coastline.
It is a beautiful place to visit and enjoy the outdoors. Nothing is cheap these days so take your best CC along. Yahats OR is a quaint little town that is also very interesting with lots of things to keep you occupied.
We found the residents friendly and helpful when asked.
You'll find lots of CG's along the drive, at least for us that was the case.
You'll not be near any large cities, thus eliminating crowds.

It's been my experience that within the past year RV park management has found a way to bypass those folks making a reservation then not showing up.
I encountered two RV parks that made a rule for advance reservations stating, the person making a reservation must present themselves by 6PM or forfeit the reservation.
I hope that catches on nationwide.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 04:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
A judge once told me that when laws are not uniformly and aggressively enforced, respect for the rule of law turns into contempt for the law.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 07:02 PM   #22

The ration part of me says it's a numbers game. The number of jerks per thousand can remain steady, but triple the number of people and you triple the number of jerks.

The other part of me says, its our new culture, brought about by the internet and social media. For several decades now people have been gathering online from the comfort of their own homes and sharing their opinions, saying things they'd originally never dare to say in person. Well, over time the trend intensifies, and social media becomes more anti-social media where mobs can form without ever getting out of their jammies. A trend to speak your mind has become cultural, and now everyone is encouraged and is proud to proclaim they shouted someone down over a perceived injustice. The jerk is the new hero. It's he who yells loudest wins. This is further enhanced by the internet currency of clicks. Anger people and you generate more clicks. Clicks make the world go round. All this together has changed our culture to where outrage is how it's done. It's been slowly evolving this way for quite some time now. No surprise this online culture has spilled over into the real world.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 07:25 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are approaching a ‘Mad Maxx’ based society.

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is offline   Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 08:07 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A judge once told me that when laws are not uniformly and aggressively enforced, respect for the rule of law turns into contempt for the law.
I am guessing that not everyone who reads this quote has the same people or person in mind. I do agree with the quote.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Don't let the sensationalism on the news and this thread prevent your family from enjoying the Oregon coastline......
I agree. I spend summers in the PNW. Three things to avoid: Seattle, Portland, and watching the news. The first two because of traffic.

Big cities have lots of people, therefore has lots of problems. That is what big city news reports.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:34 PM   #26

Oregon

Sorry to hear. We haven’t been in two years but have had great experiences along the gorgeous Oregon coast as well as WA over many years.
DebbieJ is offline   Reply
Old 09-24-2022, 11:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
The ration part of me says it's a numbers game. The number of jerks per thousand can remain steady, but triple the number of people and you triple the number of jerks.

The other part of me says, its our new culture, brought about by the internet and social media. For several decades now people have been gathering online from the comfort of their own homes and sharing their opinions, saying things they'd originally never dare to say in person. Well, over time the trend intensifies, and social media becomes more anti-social media where mobs can form without ever getting out of their jammies. A trend to speak your mind has become cultural, and now everyone is encouraged and is proud to proclaim they shouted someone down over a perceived injustice. The jerk is the new hero. It's he who yells loudest wins. This is further enhanced by the internet currency of clicks. Anger people and you generate more clicks. Clicks make the world go round. All this together has changed our culture to where outrage is how it's done. It's been slowly evolving this way for quite some time now. No surprise this online culture has spilled over into the real world.
I agree 100% with your thoughts. Social media is to blame for a lot of things nowadays. It makes people angry and combative.

I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, etc. This and one other rv forum is as far as I go with social media.... and I try to be nice.
twogypsies is offline   Reply
Old 09-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #28

The last time I camped in Oregon, I found myself in a coastal town touristing. The homeless population. along with their crime and substance abuse, were on full display.
eddndee is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
amps