Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The driver on the main roadway has the right of way, the merging driver is required to adjust their speed to the mainline traffic.
Here in WA state the drivers manuals state that every on ramp has an implicit "YIELD" sign on it.
There are some drivers ... that must have missed that wording in the manual defining responsibility when attempting to merge in Washington State.

The vehicle entering the highway must yield the right of way to vehicles already established on the roadway. Of course it's in both parties best interest to avoid a collision..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #16

I try my best to help them in because its way better than a fender bender and the time wasted. If I happen to make them mad I don't give the satisfaction of flipping me as I don't look at them. I just pretend they aren't even there, they get tired of their own antics and give up. I waited to darn long to enjoy traveling in my RV to let something so little spoil my day.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
When I see that situation about to happen I try to brake well in advance so the merging traffic has a place to go. Don't know that what I do is best just what I do b
That's the proper action - as you approach the on-ramp you should be looking at traffic. If there's traffic that's going to be merging you need to determine when that merge will take place. If there will be a conflict then you should do whatever is needed to eliminate that conflict.

With that said, if the merger is one of those individuals that think you have to enter the freeway at 45 mph and THEN accelerate up to traffic speed then I will try to make sure that they're merging behind me; if, however, they're trying to merge properly I'll give them room by slowing down before I have to throw out the anchor...
Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
That's why so many RVers have adopted the use of dash cams.

More than once I've had someone drive down the shoulder and cut in short and THEN slam on their brakes. They seem to think that if you rear end them it's automatically your fault. WRONG
Yepper...

Dash Cam Talk
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Speaking as a veteran Law Enforcement Officer, maintain your safe and legal speed. The vehicle merging into traffic is required to Yield. Some states actually post a yield sign for the merging traffic some do not as it common knowledge.

Slowing down or speeding up can contribute to accident.

As a professional driver, I drive a big rig 4 hours a day. I can tell you that 95% of people making turns at intersections make lane changes in the turn. Law requires you to maintain your lane, establish yourself and signal and make the lane change when it is safe and legal to do so.

I would really like to see PSA's Public Service Announcements. Aired on TV to remind / educate drivers what the rules of the road are.

But as to the nature of your post, we live in a age where we have a decay in behavior in general and it carries over to include driving responsibly.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Minivans. Watch out for them in the merge lane. They're evil and usually driven by clueless people putting on make up, chatting on the phone, or screaming at the kids. I can't tell you how many times I have almost run over them when their lane ends and they look up and mouth "OHH S***!"
My next RV will have a bodacious set of air horns!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Maintain your speed in your lane, and allow the surrounding traffic to estimate your speed vs. theirs and adjust. It's up to the merging drivers to decide if they need to (safely) speed up and merge ahead or slow down and merge behind. As you approach the merge point, be prepared to adjust your speed and even be ready to brake, to be safe. That's how it's supposed to work.

In reality, the "me first" attitude of so many drivers means that they're apt to cut close in front of you, or dive in and tailgate, then make an unsafe pass on the left or right, and still cut close in front of you.

You'll have to be prepared, so when you see a potential choke point ahead, it never hurts to ease off the speed in advance to give some cushion for the inevitable idiots to do their antics, and for you to have some maneuvering room. Shift slightly left or right within your lane to gain more control of the space around you.

I drove armored trucks for many years; they're easily as unwieldy as a big motorhome and we witnessed all kinds of vehicular stupidity around us. You just expect rude behavior from other drivers and adjust your speed, manage the space around your vehicle, and always be aware of an escape path in case another driver does something really dumb.

As for the inevitable single-finger salutes, they're just reminding you, the safe driver, that you're "number one!"
Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
It is your required action to maintain your speed and his to adjust and merge. I find it a bit irritating when the person in the driving lane decides to help by either speeding up or braking in an attempt to help. What usually happens is what ever my decision was it quite often matches what the helper decided to do and I end up unable to do the proper merging action. Unfortunatly many people tend to attempt to help the merging car by changing lanes to make it easier for them. They then come to a conclusion that is exactly what everyone should do and when it does not happen you get the salute! My suggestion is to continue along your way at the speed that you are maintaining and let them do what they need to do. It is also your responsibility to be a defensive driver. At that point it is nessesary for you to take the action that will keep everyone safe! Good luck!
Well said, I fully agree
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #23

I am with Muddypaws on this one, Dash Cam, less than 75.00 dollars on Ebay. One such indecent prompted me to install one. If you are in front of me behave or the local officials will receive the footage of then not behaving. It will not stop it from happening but it will clearly show what happened.
ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As many have said the merging vehicle is required to yield when merging, but that said, in today's world of frivolous lawsuits, anything goes and many think RV owners have deep pockets. So if I can "help" an "idiot" out who doesn't know what "merge" means I will only if I can maintain a safe maneuver for me and the others around me.

The problem I've come to realize is many merging drivers are just stupid. As previously stated they are either distracted (by-you name your flavor) something or don't even try looking at the through traffic until they are at the merge point, both of these conditions are inherently dangerous. If someone is dumb and doesn't understand this, dumb can be fixed by education, but stupid is as stupid does and it has been/will continue to be that way for ever, you just can't fix stupid.

Happy trails to all and I always take my blood pressure meds so when confronted by these types of individuals I can laugh at their stupidity and calmly continue my journey.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #25

I have two accessories on my rig. A dash cam and a train horn. I use both as needed.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Speaking as a veteran Law Enforcement Officer, maintain your safe and legal speed. The vehicle merging into traffic is required to Yield. Some states actually post a yield sign for the merging traffic some do not as it common knowledge.

Slowing down or speeding up can contribute to accident.

As a professional driver, I drive a big rig 4 hours a day. I can tell you that 95% of people making turns at intersections make lane changes in the turn. Law requires you to maintain your lane, establish yourself and signal and make the lane change when it is safe and legal to do so.

I would really like to see PSA's Public Service Announcements. Aired on TV to remind / educate drivers what the rules of the road are.

But as to the nature of your post, we live in a age where we have a decay in behavior in general and it carries over to include driving responsibly.
X2 on the post:-..Here in Pensacola we have several 2 lane left turns, really have to watch drivers on the inside lane, about 1/2 through the turn they are in the other lane. Often more a capability problem that lack of knowledge... Of course if they put down the cellphone, big mac, Oversize drink and fingernail polish bottle- it might make a difference.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
This situation causes many accidents because the vehicle with the right of way yields to the merging vehicle by slowing down. His slowing causes a chain reaction of brakes and sudden lane changing.

The proper and legal way for both driver's in this situation is for the thru vehicle to maintain his speed. The merging vehicle adjusts his speed so he can merge in to the thru traffic.

BTW, here in PA there are signs before on ramps stating for thru traffic to "stay in lane".

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #28

I have been sideswiped twice in dual left hand turn lanes when the driver in the first lane turned into the second lane, hitting me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
X2 on the post:-..Here in Pensacola we have several 2 lane left turns, really have to watch drivers on the inside lane, about 1/2 through the turn they are in the other lane. Often more a capability problem that lack of knowledge... Of course if they put down the cellphone, big mac, Oversize drink and fingernail polish bottle- it might make a difference.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote