Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #99

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
In Calif you can use the right 2 lanes while towing, but should be in the right lane when safe to do so. I doubt there is any state who's laws require right lane travel under all circumstances unless specifically posted in some areas.

Glenn
Nobody said "under all circumstances". but many restrict left lane travel for roads with three or more same-direction lanes.

Here's Washington State's rules:

Quote:
WAC 468-510-020
Left lane restrictions.

(1) RCW 46.61.100(3) mandates that no vehicle towing a trailer or no vehicle or combination over 10,000 lb. may use the left lane of limited access roadways having three or more lanes in one direction
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #100

Freightliner Owners Club
So even West Coast drivers can understand...

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In Calif you can use the right 2 lanes while towing, but should be in the right lane when safe to do so. I doubt there is any state who's laws require right lane travel under all circumstances unless specifically posted in some areas.

Glenn
You're right of course that no state has passed a law requiring anyone to stay in the right lane under any and all circumstances. There are very few absolutes. Requiring one to be in the right lane whenever it is safe to do so is probably about as close as they come... but that encompasses a lot of territory. Not sure I would want to explain to a CHP that I didn't feel the right lane was safe because there were on ramps.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #102

Quote:

Glenn
In California, if you are towing, it is a violation to drive in the lane to the immediate left of the slow lane except if it is a four lane freeway, or to pass a slower vehicle in the slow lane. So if the road is a three lane freeway, you must stay in the right lane except to pass.
I have a friend who drives a big rig and he received a ticket for this. I always thought you could drive in that lane to avoid merging traffic, not so.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21655.htm
Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post

In California, if you are towing, it is a violation to drive in the lane to the immediate left of the slow lane except if it is a four lane freeway, or to pass a slower vehicle in the slow lane. So if the road is a three lane freeway, you must stay in the right lane except to pass.
I have a friend who drives a big rig and he received a ticket for this. I always thought you could drive in that lane to avoid merging traffic, not so.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21655.htm
Thanks for this posting. I'm making my first RV/toad trip to California next week and would certainly have been in violation of this law had you not posted the actual ordinance.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
Thanks for this posting. I'm making my first RV/toad trip to California next week and would certainly have been in violation of this law had you not posted the actual ordinance.
Also keep in mind that the maximum speed limit in Calif when towing is 55 mph. They'll getcha for that too.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #105

Fleetwood Owners Club
62 has been working for us while towing in California, seems to be an acceptable speed and yes I know I could get a ticket if someone decides it is too fast. Most trucks go 60 or 62.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #106

We always move over when we safely can when coming upon merging traffic. It is a pet peeve of ours when we cannot get back over. The vehicle that merged instead of allowing us to get back right. (we have our signal on) speeds up until it is pacing us and now we are all blocking traffic. Then everyone gets angry and starts passing on the right which makes it even worse. It does seem people do not having merging skills. They are creeping on, you cannot move left because of traffic, and once on, they speed off like a demon. That means we have to slam on the brakes and hope no one rear ends us or leave them on the side of the road and hope they do not try to merge into the side of us. I especially like those who do not even look for traffic until they are at the end if the merge lane.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #107

IN AZ, it is the law that, if at all possible, you must move over for any vehicle with flashing light or is disabled on the side of the road. I usually move half a lane to keep some idiot from passing me on the right. Whenever there is someone already next to me, I will try to speed up or down to give me a spot to move.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #108

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Minivans. Watch out for them in the merge lane. They're evil and usually driven by clueless people putting on make up, chatting on the phone, or screaming at the kids. I can't tell you how many times I have almost run over them when their lane ends and they look up and mouth "OHH S***!"
My next RV will have a bodacious set of air horns!
Minivans and SUV's are death traps on wheels, driving professionally for a living they tend to do the most dangerous things.

Had a set of hadleys, (moved them to a car ) replaced with train horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
So even West Coast drivers can understand...

I wish I could blow that pic up huge and put it on the back of everything I own

I pay attention to the ramps, if I see cars coming on I move over in advance, if I cant I either slow or speed up some depending on how the timing is, I do not hit brakes though, causes more problems behind.

Anytime something is on the side of the road I move over, Break down once on the side of a interstate and you to will start doing this.

Its pretty much common sence, look around you pay attention and do for the other driver what you would like him to do for you if you were him.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #109

Here is the link to what I am trying to post in video, how my mam-maw would handle bad drivers!

Attached Files
TexandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #110

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
This has happened to me more than once.

Driving my MH with toad in the slow lane as required by law on two lane each direction divided highway. Car is merging on to the highway. There is a car next to me so I can't get over, I can't rapidly accelerate and don't want to slam on my brakes and get rear ended. Driver looks and sees me next to him as he is merging and can't merge. Driver flips me the bird and all in a huff.

I see the situation as the driver not looking over his shoulder to see what's coming.

How to avoid? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Nope, you're fine. It's the responsibility of the driver merging into moving traffic (The guy in the merging lane) to manage himself a spot, by either speeding up or slowing down so that they can get into traffic successfully.

I just ignore the special snowflakes anymore, or if there's more than two lanes, I stay in the middle lane in areas with alot of merging traffic (metro areas), until I'm out of that area and the traffic has thinned back out again.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #111

you can try to make room for someone who is merging, but actually it is the responsibility of the merging vehicle to make sure he has the room to get in line.
john51sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #112

Courtesy Tombstone Generator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tombstone.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	40007  
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote