Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #29

I try to maintain my speed, if merging driver seems oblivious I tap the horn, if no response I hold the button down a little longer & let the air horn wake them up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #30

I am in the "maintain speed and lane" camp in most situations.

Seated 7 or 8 feet in the air, it is usually easy to see several hundred feet ahead and plan accordingly. If I see multiple vehicles coming down the ramp AND the left lane is clear, I will move over but then it is difficult to know if one of the 'idiots' just joined and is cruising in the blind spot matching my speed so it's often a gamble moving back to the right lane.

The one situation I WILL adjust my speed is if I see a big rig on the ramp and I will adjust my speed (up or down) so we don't clash. I know they have the same abilities/restrictions as me when it comes to speed adjustment.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #31

Ok all you "horn blowers I'm not moving crowd" what happens when you and your 2 buddies are cruising down the slow lane and another guy and his 2 buddies are coming down the ramp ? Some people are so inconsiderate I'm glad for now there are more considerate people .
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
As a professional school bus driver for over twenty years I'd like to weigh in. All this talk of laws and rights is all well and good, and an endless source of bull sessions among drivers, but the bottom line is safety.

This issue effects not only for you and the fool that won't yield, but all your loved ones riding with you. Also remember the lives of all the innocents traveling the same stretch of highway as the unyielding fool and the self righteous RV driver who knows he's doing what he's "suppose to."

If slowing down to give the hot rodding half wit a way in is the safest option, DO IT! It will mean little to your surviving loved ones that they will be able to chisel into your gravestone "He had the right of way!"

Stay safe, stay alert. Leave legal arguments to the lawyers, and should arguments to the moralists. Focus on coming home safe, the rest means nothing.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This happens a lot more then it should. I don't think people know how to merge into traffic. I don't know what they were taught in drivers education but they must have missed that assignment. As mentioned before "you can't fix stupid".
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Yepper...

Dash Cam Talk
I got one late last month, used it this next trip out. Should go look at the video as it should show the woman in a Land Rover almost hitting us as she moved into our lane without looking or signaling.

And yes she got the air horns, then later as we passed her, she showed us her IQ of 1.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I normally travel a few mph over the speed limit and travel in the next lane over from the merge lane. It is interesting to see folks merging on to an interstate at 20mph under the flow of traffic and a 100 yards later they are passing everyone.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #36

I still can't figure out how people think they are going to merge into traffic on the freeway going 5 to 10 mph below the speed limit. That's why they call it an acceleration lane.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
When I see that situation about to happen I try to brake well in advance so the merging traffic has a place to go. Don't know that what I do is best just what I do b
I try to do that too. MOST of them appreciate it!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #38

As others have said, I maintain my speed so the oncoming traffic can adjust their speed. If we both slow down at the same time, we still have an issue. Maintain your speed so they can judge what you are doing. No need to play guess whats one each others mind. I think its better for the flowing traffic to maintain steady speed and merging and adjust to get on the road. You slam on your brakes to allow merging to get in, you could cause a chain reaction behind you. If merging needs to go in the shoulder, then that's the way it is. Better that then have semi's jackknifing behind you.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #39
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
As a professional school bus driver for over twenty years I'd like to weigh in. All this talk of laws and rights is all well and good, and an endless source of bull sessions among drivers, but the bottom line is safety.

This issue effects not only for you and the fool that won't yield, but all your loved ones riding with you. Also remember the lives of all the innocents traveling the same stretch of highway as the unyielding fool and the self righteous RV driver who knows he's doing what he's "suppose to."

If slowing down to give the hot rodding half wit a way in is the safest option, DO IT! It will mean little to your surviving loved ones that they will be able to chisel into your gravestone "He had the right of way!"

Stay safe, stay alert. Leave legal arguments to the lawyers, and should arguments to the moralists. Focus on coming home safe, the rest means nothing.
Well said!!!!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's why those Hadley air horns are mounted on the of the coach. A good long burst from them usually works wonders.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
That's why those Hadley air horns are mounted on the of the coach. A good long burst from them usually works wonders.
What wonders does it work? In a thread call "angry drivers" I'm not sure that further angering the often immature and unstable fools we all have to deal with is the desired goal.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #42

I think I still remember most of the mandatory defensive driving courses I attended, hopefully at the right time. I make room for merging traffic (move one lane left) when it is safe to do so, otherwise I maintain my speed and allow appropriate braking distance between my rig and the vehicle in front of me-its just common courtesy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote