Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2006, 05:48 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Well I am going to throw this out there and see if there is something I can do (that I haven't already thought of like traps or Decon)about the little rodents (mice)that are finding their way into the motorhome. Because I have to spend some time out of country for a month at a time I'm not able to guard the motorhome 24/7. Just looking for some tips or tricks that some of you may have tried and found very effective.
Thank
Harry

King William, Va.
KOALAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2006, 05:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Well I am going to throw this out there and see if there is something I can do (that I haven't already thought of like traps or Decon)about the little rodents (mice)that are finding their way into the motorhome. Because I have to spend some time out of country for a month at a time I'm not able to guard the motorhome 24/7. Just looking for some tips or tricks that some of you may have tried and found very effective.
Thank
Harry

King William, Va.
KOALAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:01 AM   #3

Harry,

Check out the suggestions on this site:

http://www.ecochem.com/t_did_mice.html

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-26-2006, 06:02 AM   #4

There is an device that will keep the mice away but they require a little up keep.
They are called cats! Just Kidding.
Call your home exterminater and get some rat and mouse poison to place around the motor home tires and jacks if you use them. Tie the poison up on the frame rails in front and behind the tires so they have to cross it to get any furthure into the motorhome.
Also mice hate sticky feet I have used grease on things to stop mice from tracking across them before. A thin layer of grease rubbed over a area and after a time or two of having to clean their feet they stop going in it.
If you can find where they are getting in and its small put some steel wool stuffed into the hole, they wont eat it and cant get through it.
Hope that helps.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Neil, have snakes under front stoop been there for years now have some idea how to get rid of them.
What a great informative site IRV2 is. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:38 AM   #6

If you have cats, you won't have snakes; if you have snakes, you won't have mice.
PennyPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #7

Snakes!!!! Your local co-op sells a snake repellent powder, they claim will keep them away. You can make it yourself a lot cheaper, it is sulfur powder and moth balls, crush the moth balls into a powder form. I'm sorry I don't remember how much of each one to use, you can read on the back of repellent package. Spread it in a circle around the RV and they won't cross it. One thing to remember if the snakes are inside the circle, they won't cross it to come out, so make sure they are gone when you spread powder. Hopes this helps

330 Cummins on Spartan Chassis
mottybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have cats 2, they get snakes that fall out of basement ceiling but can't get in ceiling or under front stoop, so plan to be busy with garden snakes running all over the place. Have already caught over a dozen still coming out from under stoop, nice warm place when sun bakes on it. WIFE says thats it no more.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
I think I'd rather have snakes then mice, a lot less distructive. Mice chew on everything, and it's a real pain when its wires inside a wall!

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #10
SVO

Stinky dryer softner sheets. I put them in my heater vents, and in cupboards and drawers. A big bonus, in the spring when you de-winterize, the RV smells "spring Fresh".
Old 04-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #11

We just had a rabid wildcat attack 2 golfers here. They beat it to death with golf clubs. I didn't see what club(s) they used but I suppose a putter would do.

Now we're getting some 'bleeding hearts', one saying it wasn't the wildcats fault. It was the disease's fault.

Anyway, this technique seems to work. I don't know how the scoring works. Art

Of note, one fellow must go through the 'shots'.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #12

Is it a no-no to beat "bleeding hearts"?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #13

To. Those with VARMIT problems;

I have the i20 volt pest repellers in 5 separate bays and 3 inside rig. Also use Decon in all bays that have openings other than main door This reminds me that I have to get new Decon. Also, when rig is put up for winter, we leave no food in rig.

Oh, by the way, " 007 " forgot to mention that they also have a vicious snake killer called MAX, the mini Hot- dog. How could you forget him??

Aime==== AJBJRVERS
Old 04-10-2006, 03:49 AM   #14

We've tried mothballs with limited success, but recently learned that spearmint oil works best. A bonus as with dryer sheets is the smell. Anyone else heard of this?