Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
In the aircraft industry we called it electrolysis.
Is that correct or am I wrong?
Not the same...

"Electrolysis occurs when an electrical current strays from its path due to improper wiring or a defect coming between two metals in the presence of an electrolyte, usually seawater in this case. ...

Galvanic corrosion is when two different metals are in contact in the presence of an electrolyte."

The sacrificial anode is a way to prevent galvanic corrosion of a desired metal by making the desired metal the cathode and the sacrificial one the anode. To do that you have to pick the right combo based on the position on the galvanic chart.

https://www.pemnet.com/design_info/galvanic-corrosion/
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #16

I use the teflon tape on the anode rod. I also coat the threads on the tank with plumbers grease. It is a silicone based grease and that can be used on high temperature applications. As far as metal to metal connection, both will allow a good electrical connection since the threads are NPT and are slightly tapered.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Not the same...

"Electrolysis occurs when an electrical current strays from its path due to improper wiring or a defect coming between two metals in the presence of an electrolyte, usually seawater in this case. ...

Galvanic corrosion is when two different metals are in contact in the presence of an electrolyte."

The sacrificial anode is a way to prevent galvanic corrosion of a desired metal by making the desired metal the cathode and the sacrificial one the anode. To do that you have to pick the right combo based on the position on the galvanic chart.

https://www.pemnet.com/design_info/galvanic-corrosion/
I am an AME and that term was always used in Trade school and it was referred to using proper metal screws in the sheet metal.
We were taught that dissimilar metals created a battery effect. And corrosion would result.
I think we are talking about the same thing but your trying to take it to another level!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
I am an AME and that term was always used in Trade school and it was referred to using proper metal screws in the sheet metal.
We were taught that dissimilar metals created a battery effect. And corrosion would result.
I think we are talking about the same thing but your trying to take it to another level!
Misuse of terms is not unheard of but if you look them up I think you will find electrolysis is what happens when an electrical potential is applied, intentionally or unintentionally - such as in electroplating or stray current.
Galvanic corrosion, is what happens as you describe, dissimilar metals in the presence of an electrolyte... e.g. fresh or salt water.
Some will say they are the same or spliting hairs but
If you don't believe my original quoted text and source here is another source & explanation.

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/AC%20...ectrolysis.htm

The difference is a technical one and I'm not saying your trade school instructor didn't know what they were talking about... only that he/she may have used the wrong term for what they were describing. So the advice and lesson was correct and without a chemistry or metallurgy degree they didn't understand the difference of terms.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #19

I apply a coat of anti-seize to the threads of the anode. No more problem with the threads rusting up.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #20

I know it's on hot water side and not normally drank. Food safe neversieze has PTFE fine particulates debate on how safe micro particles of PTFE is... tape is large I don't an issue with that. Tape plus sugar free pure Milk of Magnesia is safest food grade neversieze ,used on jet engines years ago. Might want to use settled out paste. People still use it to this day on spark and glow plugs and just dip stainless bolts in it ect..
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used teflon pipe dope of teflon tape. I don't worrie about cleaning the threads. It's a pipe tread.

But dont you just hate the fist time you removed the anode. Some gorilla at the factory put the plug in. It always seems I need a 18" breaker bar and some of the times I need to use a cheater pipe.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water