Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2022, 07:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud1218 View Post
I like your style!

By following your Grandad's good advice and maintaining your cool, you not only educated, but also improved the other camper's potential for paying your good manners forward.

I like to think, as others have suggested in this thread, that this individual was dealing with his own pre-setup anxiety. Seems these days, we're not uncommonly finding ourselves in a "waiting for the other shoe to drop" mindset.

Two wrongs do not make a right.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 08:55 PM   #30

I always try to be nice when I first interact with others and show respect. Once they lost the respect within the first minute, they can pound sand.

I'd leave when I planned on it, and not rush if I was in the right. But if I had the time frame wrong, then apologize and try to move quickly.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:48 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
I always try to be nice when I first interact with others and show respect. Once they lost the respect within the first minute, they can pound sand.

I'd leave when I planned on it, and not rush if I was in the right. But if I had the time frame wrong, then apologize and try to move quickly.
BINGO! Duster73 nailed it (and was clearer and used a lot less words than I did haha)
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:28 AM   #32

I'm sure that that big 5er already had the fridge running.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
I'm sure that that big 5er already had the fridge running.
The above are spot on.

IMO, the guy was being very rude and intentionally using his kid and the lame food line to guilt you.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I am surprised your COE campsite had a 3:00 pm check out time. The SPs we camp in in the NE states typically have an 11:00 check out time and a 1:00 PM check in. Every hotel I have stayed in had a noon or before check out time. So I can see why the guy pulling in with the 5th wheel was miffed a bit when he pulled in at 2:20.

But given that check out time, you were perfectly within your rights to stay. I do wonder why the park rangers let him in, but maybe COE sites are all self served.

David
South Dakota State Parks check-out and check-in time is 4:00 p.m., though if the site isn't occupied, the ones we've been to have allowed early entry.
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:45 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're in a PA State Park CG ✅️ now and their check in and check out times are both 3:00. Makes no sense to set up for this kind of coming/going interaction among campers.

We had to move sites during our stay, and the new site had no one in it the night before. I asked a ranger going by if it was OK to move to our new site early since it was vacant. She said no, that you can't occupy a site before the 3:00 arrival time. The reason she gave was that they may have to do some "maintenance" on the site before we move in, and she couldn't let us do it unless they allowed everyone to do it.

I wonder how many interactions like that experienced by the OP they have to deal with every day.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #36

Excel Owners Club
I'd like to hear the other side of the story before passing judgment.
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #37

In all of our years Glamping in our Prevost, regardless of checkout time I packup everything the night before, empty holding tanks, fill fresh water tank and store the hoses. As soon as there is enough daylight in the morning I start the Diesel to build air pressure, start the generator, unhook shore power, police the area, pull out of the spot, connect the Toad and head to the next camp ground usually 7 to 10 hours away. Never once had any issues with fellow campers
JimDross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDross View Post
In all of our years Glamping in our Prevost, regardless of checkout time I packup everything the night before, empty holding tanks, fill fresh water tank and store the hoses. As soon as there is enough daylight in the morning I start the Diesel to build air pressure, start the generator, unhook shore power, police the area, pull out of the spot, connect the Toad and head to the next camp ground usually 7 to 10 hours away. Never once had any issues with fellow campers
Your description of the process makes it sound like it took several minutes before you actually took off. If so, I have no doubt you annoyed a few people. They just didn't have quite enough time to get the sleep out of their eyes and then get dressed to come over and complain.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #39

Carbolyn

You didn’t do anything wrong. Carbolyn Park in Kansas had a 6PM check out time. This can be frustrating for travelers, but the park is frequented mostly by locals. It is what it is.
Old Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #40

It is hard to say whether the guy was being a jerk, or just poor at timing his arrival. His described attitude suggests someone with a sense privilege. We own a lot in a nice RV park in the Smoky Mountains. People who arrive before the 1pm check-in time run a risk of being told to wait in the overflow area until their space opens up. No pulling up to a space and telling the current occupant to get out.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:56 PM   #41

Etiquette

What time did you check in?
jriley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
Funny how our grandparents wisdom bubbles up when needed.

You handled that very well. You were following the rules. Maybe that hour is for the staff to pick up the site in a private campground; in a public camp, I imagine the hour is to accommodate the early birds a little and avoid conflict.

Now remember to ‘let it go’, I know, easier said. I have stuff that pops up in my memories but still have to put the thought away cuz its so long over.

Good question.

And 5'ver driver would probably complain about the condition of the campsite since the staff didn't have time to make it ready.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground