Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2022, 08:16 AM   #57

They had to get up anyway , just kidding as I am respectful of not making noise too early as I still try to observe the parks "Quiet Time" of 10 PM to 7 AM
JimDross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2022, 08:44 AM   #58
tcg

We stay at state parks. Check Out 1pm Check In 3pm.

Michigan put out a notice this year that they would be enforcing that more.

We occasionally get two sites side by side when our daughter and husband will be spending a couple nights in a tent. Usually just for a couple of our nights.

One time, they left and I was taking my time rolling up tents because it rained the night before, around 11 am the new guy shows up and says that's his site I need to get off.

Did not want a war with peole who would be next to me for a couple days so I just wrapped it up and got off the site.

I usually check the online reservation system to see if anyone is on my site the night before, if not, I show up early, if there is someone on the site I don't show up until after check out.

If we do happen to get there and people are on our site I'll go find somewhere to park and wait. If I get there at check in time and there are still people on my site, if they are just wrapping up I'll wait, if they are not in any hurry I'll get a park ranger.

There's etiquette on both sides, it doesn't have to be adversarial. We're all just trying to squeeze in some leisure fun time in the short time we all have.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
First off, I'm not complaining or mad, just wondering what people think of doing this / or being on the receiving end as I was.
Spent the last week @ a COE park we frequent.
Check out is 3:00 pm, check in is 4:00 pm. But, you can access your site early if it is unoccupied.
We tend to stay right up to pretty close to 3:00 as we only live 40 minutes away and the kids like to use the lake right up through the last day.
Finished up at the lake, had lunch, and doing our final clean up before departing.
It's now 2:20 and this huge fifth wheel pulls up in front of the site and they guy gets out and says to my kids, "Whose is this, it's in our site". They pointed to the door, which was open, I was in drivers seat about to start to build air and lower jacks. He says, "Hey, when are you leaving I have a fridge full of food here". I politely told him, we are starting now and by the way check-out isn't until 3:00. He acts like he didn't know it wasn't until 3:00 even though it's very clear on the website (which is the only way to book a site btw).
As I was picking up my blocks a neighbor came over and said I should sit right there until 3:00, and checkout isn't until 4:00. I chuckled.
Anyway, we try to accommodate the next camper the best we can when we see them pull in. They usually look at the site and we get the idea and move along. My concern is missing some part of our packing and preparation checklists just because we are hurrying for someone clearly early. This guy rubbed me wrong how he was basically demanding us to get out of "His" spot. I could never see myself being like this unless it was after the 4:00 move in.
All in all we were pulled off site and parked down by the lake by 2:30.
I guess my grandfathers words come to play here, "Just don't be a Jerk"...cleaned up for irv2
We have seen many parks w/3 - 4 PM checkins. Regardless, campers need to go by the rules of that park. What he did was inexcusable. Many times we have arrived early, but if the site is still occupied, we always find a place to wait.
3dogsandacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #60

OP Here,
Lot's of interesting replies. I guess it's true everyone has their own way at looking at things. Also, either I'm bad at writing to express myself, or some posters are really bad at reading comprehension...lol (probably the former). A couple points for response:
-I wasn't mad about this "situation", was really just curious if you would come up to someone and ask when they are leaving.

-If you would come up and ask, would you not be 100% sure that the party was past the check-out time, or do you really not care and only what you want is important to you ? I have no idea if he "thought" check-in had passed, his question and demeanor didn't display this.

-This particular COE camp is most definitely check in at 4:00 and out at 3:00. I can guarantee I wouldn't have come on here and asked if I didn't know that. Also, in original post, another camper came to me and complained the guy was there early.

-To be fair, at this campground you are allowed to occupy the site early if the last party has moved on. I personally think the guy knew full well and took a shot at being early. No real big deal, we've done it ourselves. The difference is, we just park down by the lake if it's still occupied. BTW, this campground and park has AMPLE parking all over for any combination of Motorhome, toad, 5th wheel etc.

-At this particular COE park, and another one within 10 miles are 100% self-serve. Doesn't really matter if you've never seen one run that way. You can only reserve sites here by using the website or calling Reserve America. There are no security gates or occupied offices. The few campground hosts sprinkled throughout the facility drive around and put placards on the post in front of your site with your name and dates you'll be occupying the site. On your last day you'll see them come around and change the placards to list the next guest and dates. I'm sure they have also been called for disputes and noisy or disgruntled guests, but we've never seen them have to...very quiet park. They also drive the park once they see someone leave to service the site. I've seen them always clean out the fire pit, and sometimes cut grass, weed whack, and blow it out. You will also regularly see a COE Game Warden drive through, but they don't do anything with guest accommodations, mostly checking on the boaters and fishermen.

-As this is completely self-serve, once you call or get on web to make a reservation, your e-mail confirmation is the only proof of your reservation. So, I "suspect" everyone would either print this out, or at the very least have access to the email to show if needed. Now, on the confirmation the check in and out times are prominently displayed. This is why I suspect he knew the times all along, remember this confirmation is your only proof. But, again, I guess he "may" have not known

Lastly, not sure if these were directed at me, but..
-We didn't stay until 3:00, were gone by 2:30, roughly 10 or less minutes after him asking.
-We checked in the Tuesday before (this was Monday the 4th) @ around 6:00 pm. Not sure why that matters.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:52 PM   #61

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In todays connected world the internet make it easy to see when check in time is. We look at the checkin time and plan accordingly when to leave so we get to our destination at about checkin time.

Sure if we get in a little early we check in and go to our site. But if the site is not open we know that is on us. It would be rude to push someone.

We have been to a couple campgrounds where they want you to pay to check in early. No way do I do that on principal. But it is easy for us to run generator if needed or leave the coach running. And our fridge is fine for a few hours without power anyway.

If we are headed home we will stay until checkout time to try to enjoy the day.

I think you handled the situation well. Don’t escalate and try to accommodate even though the guy was being a jerk.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:18 PM   #62

Country Coach Owners Club
It's easy to write the guy off as a jerk; it certainly sounds like the things he said would point to that conclusion.

But sometimes travel is stressful for some people, even RV travel, especially for people who are still working and may have very limited time available for their recreational experience, and their own distress can get projected onto anybody or anything that seems to represent a complication to their plan.

I can imagine this guy may have a DW, or better yet, a MIL, squawking nonstop at him from the time they left the house with their fridge full of food, and a Norcold that worked fine on LP for a week while parked in the driveway until the night before they left, and then quit, etc etc... you can build as far as you can imagine on this scenario, and the stage is set for what you experienced.

Congratulations on handling it with grace and for kicking off an interesting thread.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post

I can imagine this guy may have a DW, or better yet, a MIL, squawking nonstop at him from the time they left the house ....
That statement was totally unnecessary.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:25 PM   #64

Etiguette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
First off, I'm not complaining or mad, just wondering what people think of doing this / or being on the receiving end as I was.
Spent the last week @ a COE park we frequent.
Check out is 3:00 pm, check in is 4:00 pm. But, you can access your site early if it is unoccupied.
We tend to stay right up to pretty close to 3:00 as we only live 40 minutes away and the kids like to use the lake right up through the last day.
Finished up at the lake, had lunch, and doing our final clean up before departing.
It's now 2:20 and this huge fifth wheel pulls up in front of the site and they guy gets out and says to my kids, "Whose is this, it's in our site". They pointed to the door, which was open, I was in drivers seat about to start to build air and lower jacks. He says, "Hey, when are you leaving I have a fridge full of food here". I politely told him, we are starting now and by the way check-out isn't until 3:00. He acts like he didn't know it wasn't until 3:00 even though it's very clear on the website (which is the only way to book a site btw).
As I was picking up my blocks a neighbor came over and said I should sit right there until 3:00, and checkout isn't until 4:00. I chuckled.
Anyway, we try to accommodate the next camper the best we can when we see them pull in. They usually look at the site and we get the idea and move along. My concern is missing some part of our packing and preparation checklists just because we are hurrying for someone clearly early. This guy rubbed me wrong how he was basically demanding us to get out of "His" spot. I could never see myself being like this unless it was after the 4:00 move in.
All in all we were pulled off site and parked down by the lake by 2:30.
I guess my grandfathers words come to play here, "Just don't be a Jerk"...cleaned up for irv2
You'll meet all kinds. I would have advised him that the check-out time was 3pm and if he didn't know the rules to see the staff in the office and left it at that. And I don't hesitate to call the office if a fellow camper gives me a hard time. I always obey the rules and I am confident in that.
hikerjohn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:54 AM   #65

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Congrats on handling that sticky situation smoothly. I personally would not wait till 2:59 pm to leave out of spite, but would leave when I was ready and the final safety walk was complete. If I came into such a situation, first thing I would ask is did they really read the campground rules and remember the check in/check out times? I’d show them a copy of them (always have a copy with you) and tell them they wern’t going to rush me but I’ll be leaving soon enough. If they protest, ask how they would handle this situation if it was the other way around. Most likely the response would be “I would d... well stay up to the last minute!” Hopefully their minuscule caveman brain will open up enough and would figure it out. Turn the issue around and make them feel the pain they are causing.

Maybe the person did have a nagging co-pilot with them. (Notice I left out genders here). Or a bunch of irritable kids on board. Maybe it was a white knuckle ride to the camp (been there, done that). Either way, getting there early and demanding the other person to move NOW isn’t right. Park in waiting spot and...wait.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:12 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We spent a night in the overflow parking lot next to the prime camping spots at a provincial park last year. A guy in one of the prime camping spots came over and told me he was leaving in the morning and I should come and get his spot. It was first come, first serve, so I gladly took his offer. He was out and I was in long before checkout time.

So moral of the story is that there are still great people out there. Thank you Larry.

Here we are set up in your spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1619103730787.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	370812  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:01 PM   #67

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleapple View Post
Many COE parks that I have been in (one just a week ago) have check-out at 4 pm and check-in at 6 pm
You got to be kidding! Check in at 6 pm? I have never heard of anything so asinine! How is anyone with kids supposed to set up then fix supper for the family at a reasonable hour? 4pm is good enough but there were times that was pushing it. I'm an early riser and so is my wife so 90% of the time we're on the road by 0800. There has been a few times we sat in the parking lot and waited. I once was at a state park with a 3PM check out. At 3:30 this family hadn't even started to pack up. Then the people with reservations showed up. They had to call the ranger who told the guy if he was out of the site in 5 minutes his RV would be impounded. The bad part was they had little kids who were still at the playground with their bikes.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:11 AM   #68

We visit state owned and operated campgrounds on occasion. I plan to be off my site at least 1 hour before check out time. I also plan to be at my reserved site an hour after check in time. I have never had a problem.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #69

I've posted B4 about this subject but forgot to add this.
We try (weather permitting) to be packed up and ready to depart about one hour before official checkout time. We use the time remaining to police the site and do what we can to make it cleaner and nicer than when we came in.
This is an old habit I learned when I was in sixth grade and until I graduated from high school (back in 1960) while in the Boys Brigade in Neenah, WI.
It is a discipline that has stuck with me thru camping and renting a dwelling: "ALWAYS LEAVE A PLACE BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT."
We carry a folding rake, a shovel, a leafblower, and a fireplace tongs to clean up our site.
Why a tongs? I bend the tips so I can pick up something as small as a toothpick. Saves the back and much more sanitary.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:48 AM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
I find the water side campgrounds popular with locals to be the ones with late check outs. The folks get to play most of the day of check out and still get home at night. Makes it a bit of a pain for those of us who are early travelers, but that’s the way it goes. I have always been able to find a spot to hangout in until the other camper leaves.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground