Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #29

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Question for tireman We have a 2018 Road Warrior it is a triaxle and weighs out at 21950. During our national rally on June 5,2019 I had it weighed. It was weighed for each wheel, not on a cat scale. Each axle was under the 7000 lb rating. So I run my tires at 95% of the 110psi on the sidewall. I also go with the thought of having room to expand. In your opinion would it be beneficial to increase psi to max 110 psi.
Been rving for 17 years, no tire issues. But this coming Friday we will become houseless and fulltimers.
Keep in mind I am hardheaded and hard to convince to change my past practices!!��
If I can find my weigh sheet I will if I can post it.

So no tire has more than 3500# load on it and the load / infl tables indicate you only need 105psi in your tires to support the heaviest end of each axle?

I suggest that if possible people set the cold inflation to 110% of the MINIMUM inflation needed to support the load. This eliminates the need to be constantly playing with inflation when the temperature drops or pressure drops over time.
Trailers, because of the unique and high belt forces "Interply Shear" need to run a higher inflation to try and offset these higher shear forces so their "Cold" set pressure should be the tire sidewall pressure but they need to adjust (lower) their RV load to ensure the load is no greater on any one tire than 85% of the load indicated in the tables.

The practice of starting out at a lower pressure and plan on the tire temperature increase and subsiquent pressure increase is simply bad policy and is not supported by any tire engineer or tire company information I have ever seen or heard of.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #30

I have seen a couple of YouTube videos where a cheap tire plug kit was used to repair a tire on the road. One instance it was probably the driver's only choice as they were on a part of the Alaskan Highway where he could not get tire service. He had noted the lower pressure on his TPMS and stopped, found the screw, inflated the tire and tried to keep going. The leak was too fast to make it to the next service so he plugged it. Plugging a tire this way allows air to get between the belts and separate them.
Having supervised a tire shop for a large municipality we saw what was happening to plugged tires and changed the practice of repair.
I do agree most all trailer tires are made poorly and that also most are not maintained properly. I made plywood covers that I bungee to my MH and trailers without touching the tires to keep the Phoenix sun off them.

The OP should start gathering hard evidence on the tires if he wants to be able to move forward with a class action lawsuit.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROLDSX View Post
I’ve been on a mission to get these dangerous tires off the market. I think a class action suit is in order.

in Attachment 232482
IMO a "class action suit" pits your lawyers against their lawyers.
Here is a previous action. (https://www.google.com/search?q=towm...hrome&ie=UTF-8).
My reaction to your picture...Yup! that tire failed, I wonder what caused it?
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote