Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another GEN (4.0 ONAN) Problem

Friends, we were just on a 1800 mile trip to Alberta and BC.
2nd night at Wally in Hinton (ok it's West Park Mall) with over 100 other Boondockers we woke up, because a Generator wanted to start around 4:30 early in the morning. DW says: Did you want to start OUR Generator. Heck I'm in bed next to DW! How can I start the GEN up front, when in bed.
Of course now I'm up and go to the front to count our Boondocking friends in the Parking Lot. In a sudden I noticed the STOP light on the START/STOP switch. What is going on here. I have not touched anything! Why is that light on? and nothing else? Touch the switch for STOP and it will go OFF, but a few seconds later it's back on. I did nothing. OK, lets start the GEN and see. NOTHING happens. What is wrong? Light is blinking, but I was tooo sleepy to count. Lets see, if the GEN is still there?
Out I go and check the GEN. Red Light is on. Checked Oil Level. Above ADD. Well lets go to Wally after 8:00 AM and buy some Oil. I add a bit and go inside. In a sudden the GEN starts by itself (I was still in the door) and DW in bed. Dogs have no clue how to start the GEN. OK, leave the GEN running. Used the Coffee Maker. The GEN works for a few days until last morning (1 week later). The Generator starts just fine and runs for 10 - 30 seconds and shuts OFF without my command. Oil is OK. So - I'll phone tomorrow for an app. here at Western Cummins. I just do not like these little things (trouble) on our little Motorhome! It's a MUST for us. Need my coffee early in the morning! I know, I could boil water, but the Coffee Maker is sooo much easier.
Anybody of you came across something like this? Thanks for your input.
So - I would know, what to tell the Technician?
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Most Onans blink a code when they shut down for any reason other than normal STOP. What did yours say?

Typically a blink of three means "Service Required" and then you push Stop and it blinks a secondary code to identify what needs service. The codes should be in your owner manuals.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CODE

WE had NOTHING blink, when it STARTED by itself during the early morning hours (still in bed sleeping). Later it blinked 3x and the red Light in the compartment was solid on. After I added Oil (it was above ADD at the time, but I added a bit), light went out and the GEN started by itself for the 2nd x. Now I will not start it again until it was at Cummins here in Langley, BC
Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
it sounds like a control issue and will need to be diagnosed by a dealer. But one thing not to do is to overfill the generator. This can actually cause lubrication problems. Get the oil level to full and no more. anywhere above the add line should be fine.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
TW

Do you have one of those automatic generator start things on the generator that could need adjusting???

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
TW

Do you have one of those automatic generator start things on the generator that could need adjusting???

jack
No - just the good old switch. No - I never overfill OIL. As a former Pilot I always kept an eye on the level!

It has to be Dealer time! I let you know, what that funny starting by itself was?

TW
Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Computer change at CUMMINS - ONAN here in Langley, BC at over 700 Dollars with Labour and HST (over 80) worked wonders. It is working now just fine.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
TW glad its back working right.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
As a former Pilot I always kept an eye on the level!
TW
TW,

You're not a former Pilot. You're a Pilot. Just because you aren't flying frequently anymore, or haven't kept your medical certificate up to date doesn't mean that you've forgotten how.

-- Loren
Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #10
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren B. View Post
TW,

You're not a former Pilot. You're a Pilot. Just because you aren't flying frequently anymore, or haven't kept your medical certificate up to date doesn't mean that you've forgotten how.

-- Loren
Just like swimming, You always know how.

Tags
onan