Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

Another Insurance Question

I have used Miller Insurance in OR for many years. They have me with Nationwide. Just got my annual 12 month renewal and was shocked at the rate. $3,844 for a full time RV plus $1,383 for the Jeep and $421 for the Harley. $5,648 total. Called around and got a quote from Geico $1,153 for the RV and Jeep together but for 6 months and $184 for a 12 month policy on the Harley. That would be $2,490 for the year. All three vehicles less than the RV alone ($3,844) with Nationwide. What am I missing? This should be a no brainer. Does anyone have Geico and can tell me about their customer service and/or claims service. I’m ready to make a change. And yes the coverage limits and deductible are the same.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

Try State farm that is who I just went with lowest cost by far. My cars are thru AAA and the MH is still the lowest.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have been with Geico for almost 30 years and they are great to work with if you have a claim. Both my kids got in accidents, one our fault and my wife was hit head-on totaling her car all within 3 years and no rate increase. Can't say if that is normal or not but they have been prompt and did not squeak about getting the repairs done correctly and with proper parts. Repair shop sent back a used hood and spent $1800 on a new unpainted one for instance.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #4

it's the nature of the business... checking around is the only way you'll ever 'know' the best policy/price for you. There are no shortcuts. Period. I'm an agent, I know.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Check around , but make sure your getting true full timer insurance ( if you don’t have a house ) only a few companies write true full time policies , many write full year use policies. I see recommendations on forums of companies thatwrite RV insurance but not full time insurance
Did you call miller and ask them to check ? They are agents writing for several companies perhaps the bill from Nationwide came without a review?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #6

There's full-timer's insurance and there's normal RV insurance. Be sure you're comparing the right kind for you. Full-timer's is more expensive.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #7

I Switched to Geico

I ran into sort of the same situation with State Farm when I got married and wanted to add my wife to my policy. We are in our 60s and they wanted an outrageous amount of money. We called Geico and changed everything (3cars, RV, boat, 2 houses) and are paying less than what State Farm wanted for just auto. This was 3 years ago. I smashed the side of the Motor home in a gas station and they got it repaired pretty quickly and did a great job. We now had a pipe freeze and burst flooding the first floor of the house. They just finished a complete and thorough repair of that situation. New carpet/Laminate flooring. Painted two rooms and hallway. I like Geico. We pay semi-annually and it's about $1300 for both of us.

Sudsy
Old 03-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

Thank you all for your speedy responses. I did call State Farm but they said they would only do full time RV coverage if I had a homeowners policy with them too. I don’t have a house, hence full time. Same with Liberty Mutual and a few others. Geico is a full timers policy and covers personal content. I am waiting for Miller to get back to me, they are shopping it for me too. I don’t think they will be able to beat Geico rates.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #9

We are full timers and have a true full time policy with Progressive. We have not had any claims as of yet. While owning a house and vehicles we had been with State Farm for over 30 years. STATE FARM does NOT write true full timers policies. So we had to drop them.
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #10

I don't believe Geico sells fulltimers policies and farms them out to Foremost. That said, I've had a fulltimer policy with Foremost for eight years and although there have been increases they've been modest.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #11

There are a lot of threads on IRV2 about insurance, and one thing they all have in common, is, that none of them have anything in common. Insurance is dependent on your particular situation, the phase of the moon, its Zodiac, the timing of the next +tide......you get the picture.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjthedad View Post
Try State farm that is who I just went with lowest cost by far. My cars are thru AAA and the MH is still the lowest.
State Farm works for me too. I'm not a full timer.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I have used Miller Insurance in OR for many years. They have me with Nationwide. Just got my annual 12 month renewal and was shocked at the rate. $3,844 for a full time RV plus $1,383 for the Jeep and $421 for the Harley. $5,648 total. Called around and got a quote from Geico $1,153 for the RV and Jeep together but for 6 months and $184 for a 12 month policy on the Harley. That would be $2,490 for the year. All three vehicles less than the RV alone ($3,844) with Nationwide. What am I missing? This should be a no brainer. Does anyone have Geico and can tell me about their customer service and/or claims service. I’m ready to make a change. And yes the coverage limits and deductible are the same.
I would like to piggy back on this thread that TXTiger started. We are full timers, but we also rent for the times when we come off the road. We are buying a new coach and are starting the process of finding RV insurance for it. In addition to reaching out to State Farm and Geico as suggested in the various responses, we would also like to contact some brokers to see what they can do for us. We currently work with Overland, whom we are very pleased with. We will also contact Miller since it was referred to in some of the responses. Does anyone else have brokers they could recommend? Thank you.

Regards,
2019 & 2014 Anthems
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

One of the key points here is that there is no standard definition of "fulltimer insurance", even though the term is bandied about here (and other RVing sites) almost daily. Most RV policies cover vehicle liability, collision, comprehensive (aka "other than collision"), and some amount of Personal Property, but fulltime RVers may want some additional coverages. The additional coverages to ask about and consider adding are:

1. Year around coverage: many standard policies stipulate a limited number of nights/year of RV use, e.g. 150. Make sure fulltime usage is covered.

2. Personal liability: This covers you in case somebody is injured in or around your RV other than as a result of vehicle operation, e.g. when you are parked. It may also extend beyond the RV, e.g. if you visit a friend's house and knock over their priceless Ming vase.

3. Increased personal Property limits: Fulltimers likely have more valuable stuff onboard, so may want a much higher dollar limit than typical policies.

4. Trip interruption coverage, enough to cover long term motel stays if the RV is in the repair shop for months. Yes, months.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance