Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2023, 03:31 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I had look up that word. I don't get what it means in this context.
In context of the thread, the poster meant that using interstates should prevent tolls. Of course, if the interstate dumps you in The Villages other prophylactic measures may be needed…
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2023, 10:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
In context of the thread, the poster meant that using interstates should prevent tolls. Of course, if the interstate dumps you in The Villages other prophylactic measures may be needed…
I've heard of this reputation for years and I always wondered if it is actually true.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:33 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakTruk View Post
Roads dont build and repair themselves.
No, but in my state they do it with something called a "Roads Budget," instead of shifting the roads dollars to other pork political projects and paying for stupid lawsuits.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:39 PM   #60

Garmin 660 or higher will route you on non toll roads.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:51 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday37 View Post
Garmin 660 or higher will route you on non toll roads.
How do you like the routing software on the Garmin? Thinking of getting one.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:53 PM   #62

“Another reason to avoid Florida”. Assume you are a snow bird down here to enjoy our wonderful winter weather. My question, what are your first, or second or third reasons to avoid Florida. And why would anyone from up north want to avoid Florida in the winter. True, the summers are a bit brutal with high humidity and 95 everyday, but the winter? Probably the best place in the country from Nov. to April. But that’s ok, if you don’t like the tolls, we Floridians love the tourists and vacationers paying all those fees and taxes. Helps keep Florida a zero state income tax state.

2019 Entegra Cornerstone, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
Old 04-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Generally speaking, we have enjoyed our wintertime forays to the Sunshine State. However, we just got our toll transponder bill, and almost keeled over.
OMG, how much have they increased tolls in Florida in the past year? Way more than inflation, I guess. Much more annoying than the high tolls is the fact that you don’t even know when you’re gonna get hit with highway robbery.

Maybe Florida residents know, but us out-of-staters are clueless about when we’re gonna get robbed. The roads are not clearly marked on when you’re about to enter a “Pay for Florida’s sins” zone. Even the Interstates, what you think are safe prophylactic routes with no tolls are pick-pocketing you. For example, I-4 from Tampa to Daytona strips you for more money than two BBQ brisket sandwiches at Buc-ee’s.

Of course, you don’t find out that you’ve been robbed until you get back home and see your transponder bill. I suppose if they put up signs of impending toll, far enough in advance that you could get off the road, locals would complain about the RV traffic through their neighborhoods. The signs they do put out are so small and obscured by traffic that you can’t possibly know when you’re entering a “Pay me or die” zone.

Maybe I shouldn’t complain that our last trip to Florida cost more in tolls than gasoline. I’m old and a curmudgeon.
I think your best decision is to stay out of Florida and never come back.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:57 PM   #64

For those of us Florida Residents who have trouble booking winter reservations in our state due to the mass influx of people from other areas looking to stay warm, I welcome your refusal to return here. If your RV expenses are so low that tolls are an issue, count yourself lucky.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:20 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnids View Post
“Another reason to avoid Florida”. Assume you are a snow bird down here to enjoy our wonderful winter weather. My question, what are your first, or second or third reasons to avoid Florida. And why would anyone from up north want to avoid Florida in the winter. True, the summers are a bit brutal with high humidity and 95 everyday, but the winter? Probably the best place in the country from Nov. to April. But that’s ok, if you don’t like the tolls, we Floridians love the tourists and vacationers paying all those fees and taxes. Helps keep Florida a zero state income tax state.

2019 Entegra Cornerstone, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
I’m so glad you asked that question. We really do enjoy our Florida forays. But we enjoy other southern destinations as much or more. We are not snowbirders. Just “get-away” part-timers who have traveled all over the country in our RV. In most states we are welcomed. Shoulder season is our preferred time for lengthy travels.

We much prefer the weather and climate of our hometown, in the mountains of North Carolina. In the winter, it can get cold, but not nearly as cold as the northeast, and midwestern states. We can live comfortably throughout the year here. But, the cold does get old, and we have the urge to go south in January. So the answer to your question is we love North Carolina 9 month of the year. In comparison to Florida, North Carolina is far superior in terms of year-round outdoors comfort. Our last trip to Florida was to Key West in Jan/Feb. it was hot and humid. And the no-see-ums were intolerable. Further north in Florida (Tampa and Space Coast) was still less comfortable than Georgia and South Carolina.

So if you believe South Florida is better for an outdoors lifestyle more than 9 months a year, you’re a winner. California was at one time the growth state with burgeoning inbound population. IMO, that was part of the ruin of California, and why we moved out after residing there for 40 years. Now it’s happening to Florida. Non-resident RVers will not be the ruin of Florida. But there may be a big negative impact on Florida if out-of-staters are scared away, or de facto prevented from reserving Florida State campgrounds. We may still visit Florida and stay at military campgrounds, but we will give up on Florida State Campgrounds, some of the nicest state parks in the country. But, I guess that’s what Florida residents want.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:24 PM   #66

Florida

The politicians who call Florida home are inventive enough to avoid the state. Yuck!
Old 04-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #67

I just drove from Haines City to Dayton with no charges at all. Were you driving in the Express Lanes? Those are illegal for motor homes.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:42 PM   #68

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
We were in The Surf this year in the Bradenton area. Avoided toll roads so not an issue. Secondary highways were smooth and speeds were good. Second year in a row we've been down there. May even go back.
Happy camping.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:44 PM   #69

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
The problem with the Carolinas is the weather is a crap shoot. We were on the coast over Christmas and New Years this past year as we have been for many years and the evening temps were 18 degrees F. I can stay home and enjoy the fireplace without spending tons of money to be at a campground in those temps. We cancelled next year. We'll head south to Florida...weather is must warmer. Happy camping.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:51 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
A good way to avoid paying tolls in Florida is to stay OFF of the toll roads!

You will get to see a lot more of Florida that way while enjoying the journey not just the destination.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida