Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2023, 11:04 PM   #1

Another Reason to Avoid Florida

Generally speaking, we have enjoyed our wintertime forays to the Sunshine State. However, we just got our toll transponder bill, and almost keeled over.
OMG, how much have they increased tolls in Florida in the past year? Way more than inflation, I guess. Much more annoying than the high tolls is the fact that you don’t even know when you’re gonna get hit with highway robbery.

Maybe Florida residents know, but us out-of-staters are clueless about when we’re gonna get robbed. The roads are not clearly marked on when you’re about to enter a “Pay for Florida’s sins” zone. Even the Interstates, what you think are safe prophylactic routes with no tolls are pick-pocketing you. For example, I-4 from Tampa to Daytona strips you for more money than two BBQ brisket sandwiches at Buc-ee’s.

Of course, you don’t find out that you’ve been robbed until you get back home and see your transponder bill. I suppose if they put up signs of impending toll, far enough in advance that you could get off the road, locals would complain about the RV traffic through their neighborhoods. The signs they do put out are so small and obscured by traffic that you can’t possibly know when you’re entering a “Pay me or die” zone.

Maybe I shouldn’t complain that our last trip to Florida cost more in tolls than gasoline. I’m old and a curmudgeon.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2023, 11:16 PM   #2
US1

Well. I’m am an Indiana person and we just retired in Dec and have been in Bradenton Fl since . We love it and have no idea what you are talking about. Surely Tolls aren’t a deal
Breaker?
Old 04-13-2023, 11:30 PM   #3

My transponder reported more than $5.00 to go from St Petersburg through Bradenton to the I-75 North connector in February of this year.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:47 PM   #4

Roads dont build and repair themselves.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:08 AM   #5

Just Another Florida Tax

How is Florida tolls being spent?
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/in...o/67-597698037
Old 04-14-2023, 03:52 AM   #6

I live in FL and drive every day. My toll bill averages about $5 per month. I'll take that over North Carolinas 5.25% individual income tax any day. Plus, the road tolls are an effective way to get tourists to help pay for their use of our roads.

If the tolls are so high the OP stays out of FL then so be it. Maybe I'll be able to get a winter campsite in one of our state parks as a result. [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-S127DL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 04-14-2023, 04:09 AM   #7

I recently moved to Florida and figured out the toll roads pretty quick.

Between Google Maps telling me which routes had tolls and going to the toll company website with a map of toll roads.... didn't take long to see 90% of the toll roads are clustered around 3 major population areas that I avoid like the plague anyway. Florida is a big state.... toll roads aren't enough to offset different problems found in other states.

The same goes for travelling elsewhere...Google maps planning usually
gives me a heads up and I plan accordingly.

https://www.transforce.com/drivers/d...-united-states

The most expensive toll road in the United States is the Pennsylvania Turnpike. It spans 360 miles and can cost a trucker more than $200 in toll rates depending on the entry and exit point. Passenger vehicles will pay less, but it’s still the most expensive toll road for passenger vehicles.

Let's face it, tolls for RVs with a toad if you have one can be pretty steep no matter where they are.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:06 AM   #8
YC1

Are you pulling a toad? Could be extra charges for more axels.

We spent about $600 in tolls in the Northeast of the country a few years ago. I think one toll alone was $60.

I love our toll highways and bet they are some of the nicest roads in the country.

Get the right GPS and you can avoid tolls easily. My Rand Mcnally can route around them.

And thanks for visiting. Because of your tourist dollars I do not pay state income tax.

Florida roads are some of the nicest in the nation. We escaped Calif ten years ago and traveled throughout the country. It is amazing to see them mowing the sides of the roads here. Probably to keep the gators in sight for safety.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Another Reason to Avoid Florida

I’m confused because I4 from Tampa to Daytona isn’t a toll road. Unless your in the newer center walled off express lanes in Orlando that are tolled but….. , forbidden for Motorhomes towing. Perhaps you were on the Orlando to ocala ( villages) freeway.. the 91 or the 429 loop around Orlando that are tolls ( and marked )
My toll bill living here the last few years has been minimal and I use them a lot for the convenience. All that I have been on ,have a sign posting your entering a toll road and the rates . There aren’t a lot of signs but if your watching they are there. Plus the overhead reader structures every few miles are hard to miss!
I like that tourists pay for the use of the road same as I do. There are plenty of higher priced tolls elsewhere !
Old 04-14-2023, 05:59 AM   #10

The roads operated by SunPass nail you hard for extra axles. Each extra axle is equivalent to a car(2 axle) toll. For a two axle trailer your tolls will be triple what a standard car toll is. That can add up really fast.
Old 04-14-2023, 06:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
I recently moved to Florida and figured out the toll roads pretty quick.

Between Google Maps telling me which routes had tolls and going to the toll company website with a map of toll roads.... didn't take long to see 90% of the toll roads are clustered around 3 major population areas that I avoid like the plague anyway. Florida is a big state.... toll roads aren't enough to offset different problems found in other states.

The same goes for travelling elsewhere...Google maps planning usually
gives me a heads up and I plan accordingly.

https://www.transforce.com/drivers/d...-united-states

The most expensive toll road in the United States is the Pennsylvania Turnpike. It spans 360 miles and can cost a trucker more than $200 in toll rates depending on the entry and exit point. Passenger vehicles will pay less, but it’s still the most expensive toll road for passenger vehicles.

Let's face it, tolls for RVs with a toad if you have one can be pretty steep no matter where they are.
PA turnpike tolls are high but this article is misleading. From Phila to Pittspurgh is $39 with EZpass, over $80 without. I would imagine the $200 is for an 18 wheeler without EZpass, doubt any of them are in that category. Yes it is still expensive but a beautiful well maintained road costs. And unfortunately the toll pays for maintenance on all roads in PA. I bet in a year FL will figure out how to gouge out of state travellers even more than PA.
Old 04-14-2023, 06:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Even the Interstates, what you think are safe prophylactic routes
I had look up that word. I don't get what it means in this context.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 8.20.14 AM.png
Views:	21
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	390328  
Old 04-14-2023, 11:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
I didn't realize we have so many toll road miles. I only use a few on a somewhat regular basis. The Veterans highway (589) to do airport runs, and the Skyway bridge.
Neither break the bank.
Old 04-14-2023, 11:40 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in NC, and have carried and used a FL Sunpass for years... Don't even bother with the NC Quick Pass...

Not sure where you were charged on I-4, other than going through Orlando using the Express Lanes, but that highway is clearly marked many times all the way through. If you took 417 around Orlando, that road as well is clearly marked for tolls.

Florida in my opinion has much better roads than we do here in NC. Also, they collect no State income tax and have to pay for the upkeep somehow...
Closed Thread

Tags
florida