Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
If the OP is following his own thread you would think by now he would be back to admit that he may have incorrectly maligned the driver in his pic and at least admit he could be wrong.

Guess he is unaware that there is a whole sub group in the trailer industry devoted to stacker trailers.

Goes to show you shouldn't judge others when you yourself don't understand what you are looking at.
Looks like the man came back to take his lumps. I respect that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis2 View Post
Looks like the man came back to take his lumps. I respect that.
Agree
Old 11-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve42 View Post
Boats can be very heavy for their size. Looks top heavy to me. I once towed a 25 foot sailboat with a fixed shoal draft keel of about 3.5 feet.
I am glad the OP already used the word stupid.

Boats can also be light. I towed the my first sailboat with a 4 cylinder Chevy Luv. When I towed it with the 3/4 ton GMC Suburban I put an index card over the speedometer to remind me it was back there. Towing the 28' TT did not require a reminder.

My 28' sailboat is too big to tow.

IMO wheel base is more important than engine size when it comes to towing. So I do not see a problem towing a little boat.

I do see a problem having a little boat.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #46

The trailer behind the motor home looked top-heavy with the boat up there.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #47

All looks good to me. Only questionable thing I see is towing capacity of rig. If 5k, probably over, 10k all good.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thor Challenger may have an 8000 lb tow it.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:14 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
As said, he may have switched out to a heavier capacity tow package on the coach. He may have even upgraded suspension and beefed up the rear of the chassis frame with welded supports etc.
It is possible right?
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:54 AM   #50

SUV is a Suzuki Vitara. I had one.
3000 pounds

Boat is a Bayliner 160- and looks like an older (lighter) 2 stroke outboard.
1300 pounds if it had a four stroke

Trailer looks aluminum. Might well be around 1000 pounds

Total weight 5300 pounds just going off that-could be slightly more or slightly less but not very “overloaded” if at all.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:21 AM   #51

My coach came with a 4,000 lb hitch. I recently had a custom 10,000 lb hitch made for it. So it's anyone's guess what hitch he has.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #52

More speculation here than facts. It would be interesting to hear from someone that has/ had a stacker and has some facts / specs to present.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:47 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Bet the frame holding the boat lowers to the car ramps, then just back in the water...
That't what I was thinking too. Like a class-8 Car Carrier. Pull locking pins and hydraulically lower top rails...

If that is commercially available trailer - I doubt they sell many, but neat idea.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
My coach came with a 4,000 lb hitch. I recently had a custom 10,000 lb hitch made for it. So it's anyone's guess what hitch he has.
Usually the rating of the hitch installed by manufacturer (towing capacity) is based on the capacity of the rear axle, frame size, and brake size/capability. Just making a heavier hitch mount does not raise the towing capacity of coach. Be careful.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #55

Just because you wont do it, doesn't mean its wrong. I towed 2 bumper pulls for years and was told numerous times by people that had no actual knowledge that i was breaking the law or was unsafe. They were Wrong.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I am glad the OP already used the word stupid.

Boats can also be light. I towed the my first sailboat with a 4 cylinder Chevy Luv. When I towed it with the 3/4 ton GMC Suburban I put an index card over the speedometer to remind me it was back there. Towing the 28' TT did not require a reminder.

My 28' sailboat is too big to tow.

IMO wheel base is more important than engine size when it comes to towing. So I do not see a problem towing a little boat.

I do see a problem having a little boat.
To followingsea:
My boat was a CAL (no longer in business), which had a reputation of being overbuilt for its size and blue water capable. Quite heavy. If I ever own another SB, I want the length to be in the mid-30’s. I really miss sailing.

My concern with the stacker rig was focused on what appears to be a high roll center that could lead to instability and resultant tail wagging of the rig on a less than perfect road. The question of MH towing capacity is an aspect that I leave to the more knowledgeable members of this forum who have already expressed their views.
Closed Thread