Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another use for leveling blocks

I had double knee replacement surgery 2 months ago and have just started a 6,000 mile trip. The first day I had to stop earlier than planned as my right leg was aching.

You see, I'm short and getting shorter every year. My feet don't rest comfortably on the floor in front of the driver's seat. My MH has a Ford E-350 Super Duty chassis.

As I was getting ready to leave on the second day I noticed the Linx leveling blocks and decided to try one under my feet. There is more than 6 inches between the floor and the brake pedal so I'm not concerned that the block could become a driving hazard.

One block with a Linx cap on top gives about 1.25 inches of increased height and has solved my leg ache issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good idea! Even though I have the computer auto level system on our unit, I keep two full set of those on hand. I use them instead of the leveling system when I have the unit in our storage lot and occasionally just to get the tires up out of the dirt.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #3

We also put them under the sewer slunky if there isn't enough down hill fall.
JohnWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

I keep a set in my toad in case I have a flat tire. The jack won't raise the front of the car enough to get clearance between a fully inflated tire and the ground. What was Jeep thinking?

I also use them if I need to put a block under one of my ladder legs to make it more stable.

To the OP. You may have started a popular new thread if others pipe in with their uses for those blocks.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've also used them as a step stool that's the perfect height (4-6 inches) to get up the RV steps when the blocks under the wheels mean the first step is too high.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I had double knee replacement surgery 2 months ago and have just started a 6,000 mile trip. The first day I had to stop earlier than planned as my right leg was aching.

You see, I'm short and getting shorter every year. My feet don't rest comfortably on the floor in front of the driver's seat. My MH has a Ford E-350 Super Duty chassis.

As I was getting ready to leave on the second day I noticed the Linx leveling blocks and decided to try one under my feet. There is more than 6 inches between the floor and the brake pedal so I'm not concerned that the block could become a driving hazard.

One block with a Linx cap on top gives about 1.25 inches of increased height and has solved my leg ache issue.
I am sorry to read that your legs do not reach the floor when driving. That must be uncomfortable. However, placing anything unsecured on the driver's floor area is a recipe for problems. In the unfortunate event you must apply brakes hard, or hit something, the unsecured item will move forward. Things happen very fast and a foreign object around the control pedals can lead to undesirable issues that could be prevented. Wishing you the best!
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your concern, George. I considered that possibility when I first placed the block on the floor. The way the brake pedal is mounted on my 2010 Ford E-350 Super Duty chassis, there is a good 5 inches of height between the brake pedal and the block. Even if the block slid all the way forward, it would slip under the brake pedal and up behind it. I could not get the block to impeded the brake pedal, regardless of where I placed it forward of the driver's seat. It can impede the gas pedal, but I don't see that as a safety issue.

Please, anyone who tries this should be very careful to make sure anything placed on the floor of the driver's seat can not affect your ability to apply the brakes. I'm looking to install a permanent solution under the floor mat that is secured to the floor. I drive an average of 7,500 miles each year and comfort is essential.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure you keep those knees/legs moving and stop often to exercise; and do your stretching or the problems will get worse. Two months is not much time after major surgery like yours. Spending 6000 miles sitting is not good right now.

Just call me one knee Norm.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Being short, I have a similar problem in trying to find the "sweet spot" on our Essex. I finally purchased interlocking "exercise" dense foam mats. Trimming the "interlocks" off I glued two of them together one over the other. Then I added Velcro strips to the bottom to adhere them to the "entry" carpeting in the forward cabin. The added height works like a champ without interfering with the pedals.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good plan, Ken! I'll have to look into that. Where did you get the exercise blocks?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
Just one additional possibility. Our farm supply store has 2'x2' x1.5" blocks of rubber for padding in horse trailers. Probably not good as a jack pad, but very good as a floor board pad for bad knees. Can be cut to size needed. Will not slide around like plastic
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll have to see if I can find one of those blocks, doc. That sounds like the best idea yet. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Good plan, Ken! I'll have to look into that. Where did you get the exercise blocks?
Y0u can purchase them in most any store that sells exercise equipment.

Tags
leveling