Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

Another Winterizing Question

I have a 2006 Four Winds Chateau Sport 28a. My first RV. Had it not quite 4 weeks. So I'm learning. Not yet winterized. Temps here in OH dropping below freezing for the next few nights. End of next month I'm heading to MA for Thanksgiving. Then home to OH for a few weeks. Then off to SW TX for Christmas and New Years. Back home to OH probably for the winter. So, cold then warm then cold. What is my best winterizing plan?
The black and gray tanks are nearly empty. The fresh water is about half full. Don't know about the hot water tank.
After reading posts on the forum, I'm guessing that my plan might be to do a partial winterizing now and do a full blown one after I get back from TX. Meaning, blow out the fresh water lines for now. Dump some RV anti freeze in the traps and john. Should be ok for sitting in the driveway and during my trip to and from MA. Leave the holding tanks alone until I get back from TX. Before leaving for TX, refill the fresh water to use on the trip. After returning from TX, do a full blown winterizing.
Appreciate your advise and opinions. You folks have been at it in varying conditions.
Joe
chc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #2

Is your rig 4 season?, which means the RV heat will prevent any freezing,
if not, you need to do a full winterizing, (anywhere there is water you need
to replace with antifreeze). It should take less than 20mins unless you have an ice maker which adds a little more time.
toolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolster View Post
Is your rig 4 season?, which means the RV heat will prevent any freezing,
if not, you need to do a full winterizing, (anywhere there is water you need
to replace with antifreeze
). It should take less than 20mins unless you have an ice maker which adds a little more time.
toolster
I have found that my fresh water system needs NO RV antifreeze in it for months of COLD Wisconsin weather outside storage.
Mel
'96 Safari, (mine since '01)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

Most likely the water lines are all inside the house envelope. If you look I expect you will find they are run through chases with the heat runs. The biggest problem areas are the waste tanks, fresh drain valve and the outside shower. I cut some foam insulation to fit under the shower cover and make sure the tanks get dumped on the way home then do not use the toilet or sink after that. When I get home I open the drain valves and let the fresh run out. That way if I am looking at a couple of cold nights all it takes is keeping the inside of the house warm enough to avoid freezing. You might want to leave the hot water tank on too or drain it. When you want to go on the next trip close the drain, fill the tank and keep the house warm while gone. If you have tank heaters so much the better but they use 120 VAC.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

OK. Rig is not 4-season. There is no outside shower nor is there an ice maker. The tanks are not heated.

Joe
chc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 AM   #6

New England weather can be pretty cold at Thanksgiving, but take a look at the weather forecast closer to the holiday, some weathermen are predicting a warmer winter for New England so you may get lucky. Antifreeze is readily available so you can always winterize anytime.
toolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Better safe than sorry, I am doing a full winterization now and then when we leave after the holidays we fill a 7 gal and a 6 gal portable water tanks to get us to warm weather. Then not come home until the warmer weather is at the home state..
JMO,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #8

Don't forget to drain the water heater, after bypassing it.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter