Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #1

Question Antenna handle covers

This probably goes against the grain, but is anyone REMOVING antennaes? And if so, how do you treat the hole left in the ceiling.

I haven't used cable TV in years, and I'm not paying a monthly fee to Direct TV. I have a vague sense that "over the air" still exists, but it really doesn't impact my life. I even find listening to the radio to be tedious. Once you find a station that isn't complete drivel, it is more commercial than content. I have an unlimited data plan on my phone, and don't tend to wander to areas where it isn't effective. So the batwing and dish on my roof added nothing but weight, drag, and damage potential. They both came down. The holes were taped over, and seal in Tropicool.

But, now there are a couple holes in my ceiling. I thought I might put an aircraft whiskey compass over the one that is front and center. But, I've got nothing for the one that is right above the side door.

Has anyone else tossed their antennaes, and what did you do to cover the holes left by the controls?
echristley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 12:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ive done it twice. Once I cut a round piece of aluminum plate and painted it the color of the headliner. The other I think I used some plastic and the escutcheon that came with it. Iíll post some pics if I can find them. Both times it came out looking good.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #3

A dummy light?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
US1

Smoke detector
Old 10-25-2021, 10:02 AM   #5

Periscope?
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
this is my most recent one - did it this way so I could easily reverse the operation if I decide to sell it. Mounting anything else here would put new holes in the headliner. Im over the idea of selling the coach any time soon, but still see no reason to change this. It fades from consciousness fairly quickly for all but the most seriously inflicted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA78A7E4-0DDB-4676-AAF3-0482CAFDDD84.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	347140  
Old 10-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #7

I like the smoke detector idea, but it almost directly above the stove. I'll have to think about that one.

The dummy light is a good one. I might even be able to route power over to it from the other ceiling light and have it light the stair well.

But the greatest has to be the periscope!! Thinking how the look on submarines, maybe I can install a STRIPPER POLE!!

But, in all seriousness, I think the light might be the best idea, followed by the blank cover.
echristley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by echristley View Post
I like the smoke detector idea, but it almost directly above the stove. I'll have to think about that one.

The dummy light is a good one. I might even be able to route power over to it from the other ceiling light and have it light the stair well.

But the greatest has to be the periscope!! Thinking how the look on submarines, maybe I can install a STRIPPER POLE!!

But, in all seriousness, I think the light might be the best idea, followed by the blank cover.
I like the light idea too and I have some spares. The passenger side map light is about a foot from mine but is blocked when the cabinet for all the control panels is open and it seems to stay open most of the time. So I might install one but use vhb tape rather then enlarge the hole - Iíll have to take a look at those light fixtures.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I like the light idea too and I have some spares. The passenger side map light is about a foot from mine but is blocked when the cabinet for all the control panels is open and it seems to stay open most of the time. So I might install one but use vhb tape rather then enlarge the hole - Iíll have to take a look at those light fixtures.
Use a battery powered light.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, cover