Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #1

Anti theft kill switch

I am trying to complete my class C motorhome insurance, and the insurance company is giving me a headache
They had provided us with a quote of $1236 annual now it will go up $250 unless I provide them with documentation that our class C has: anti theft with kill switch and has satellite monitoring for theft.
Sorry but I have never heard of this and think this is their way of getting MORE $$$$$ out of us.

Does anyone have this on their motorhomes if so make and model please
Patchesmoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #2

That would come with the Onstar system. I have it in my Chevy truck. I did have it in my Class B that had a Chevy chassis.
Gone_Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

Check Owners Manual
OR
Contact RV MFG and inquire....they made it so would have info on OEM functions etc.
Could even point you to appropriate documentation
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #4

Find another insurance agent and company. This is asinine and I've never heard of this before.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Find another insurance agent and company. This is asinine and I've never heard of this before.
It's a discount that's available for those who have the satellite tracking services. Not at all asinine.
Gone_Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #6

Most people would be terrified to attempt to drive an rv. I dont think they get stolen very often. It would make for a pretty slow get a way.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #7

Understand that it is for those who have, but how do I get it. RV insurance is not that easy in Ontario. I can get it from Allstate but it covers very little compared to wayfare.
Patchesmoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchesmoma View Post
I am trying to complete my class C motorhome insurance, and the insurance company is giving me a headache
They had provided us with a quote of $1236 annual now it will go up $250 unless I provide them with documentation that our class C has: anti theft with kill switch and has satellite monitoring for theft.
Sorry but I have never heard of this and think this is their way of getting MORE $$$$$ out of us.

Where did the OP say anything about a discount?

HE said it will "go up" as in increase. I know about discounts. When I install my alarm system, I will get a discount. If I install a sprinkler system, I will get a discount. If I build my next house out of cinder block and steel roof, I will get a discount. I read the post as was written.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchesmoma View Post

top result on google when I searched "anti theft kill switch with sat tracking"

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Track.../dp/B00H8AO8WG

124 dollars to preveent a 250 increase is simple math. I would get the insurance company on record that this device qualifies for them and if it does not give me a list of devices that do.

Now i see this has a monthly fee of 24 or so a month but it tracks a lot of stuff. Same stuff that those devices that plug into the odb2 port that companies give discounts for installing so maybe insurance company would give even more discounts for all that data? LOL right.

A less than honost person could just tell the insurance they had this device installed to prevent the rate from going up. They could even order it to provide proof of purchase if need be then return it. Odds are the insurance company aiint checking. Well at least not until you get in an accident or the rig gets stolen then you got a bigger mess to untangle
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #10

I have Hartford through aarp. Never had a problem, good coverage. We had a $13000 clame and rates didnt change.
cobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobia View Post
I have Hartford through aarp. Never had a problem, good coverage. We had a $13000 clame and rates didnt change.

I just bought insurance for my new Navion through a link I followed on the Winnebago site. It is through a broker called Winnebago RV Insurance out of Iowa. 1-800-642-4892. It was the same coverage and was appx $200 less than the next cheapest policy I had quotes for. They never asked me about anti-theft devices. My policy is $750 annual for a 2019 Navion 24D
The carrier is Nationwide.
DariusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I've never been asked that for any of our Rvs (3 motorhomes and 2 trailers). With multiple major insurers, e.g. Hartford, National Interstate, Allied, National General, etc.

Since you have a Class C, it has the same anti-theft system that cars, vans and pick-up trucks employ, e.g. the ignition and/or steering is locked when the ignition is off and the key or fob removed. If the system qualifies for those, seems like it ought to qualify for RV insurance as well.

Satellite tracking could be via OnStar or similar, but there are also a number of aftermarket systems that could be used. It's not that expensive, typically $125-$150 yearly. Here are some ideas:
https://www.carbibles.com/best-car-gps-tracker/

That said, I would shop elsewhere for insurance. Statistically, motorhome theft is a very small problem and the issue you are having suggests to me that the insurer neither knows nor cares much about RV business. That may not bode well if you make a claim in the future.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Totally agree.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
He/she is in Canada so all our US based experiences do nothing to help him. I will leave it to our Canadian members to respond.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch