Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivins View Post
I drain the hot water heater and blow out all the lines including the hot water heater. I've never understood putting chemicals into my water system. But I guess I'm an odd one.
If you're sick the doctor gives you a pill. That's a chemical and it's good for you. The same holds true for the RV antifreeze. It protects the system if you have a low spot in a line and water gathers there, the line gets subjected to freezing temperatures and the line freezes and bursts. Blowing out a line is fine as long as there are no low spots anywhere along the route of the line. . There will always be some residual left in the line. You will never blow all the water or moisture out of a line. Adding the antifreeze is simply additional protection. A side benefit is the antifreeze will help keep the faucet washers and the toilet valve soft and pliable. The antifreeze works well in the sink and shower 'P' traps to keep them from freezing also. The antifreeze will keep odors from coming up out of the traps when the water evaporates away.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 07:02 PM   #30

Don't winterize!

Our best solution is not to winterize. Instead, each autumn we head south for year-round warmth (RGV or Coachella Valley). 6 months later (April or May) we slowly head back north. Enjoy your RV year-round.
Seriously, when we were responsible for caring for the family cottage in northern Michigan, I'd blow out all the lines with an air compressor. Put together 2-3 fittings with a female hose end to the male compressed air coupling fitting. Gravity-drain the water heater and the rest as much as it will. Then hook that compressor fitting up to a hose spigot, close the valve to the water pump / pressure chamber. Open the shower valve, and turn on the compressor. When no water comes out of the shower valve, open the next faucet, close the shower faucet, etc till all are emitting air only. Disconnect the compressor hose. Take off and drain each P-trap, put it back on and add a cup or two of RV anti-freeze (A couple cups to the shower drain since I couldn't take that trap off). With water supply off, flush the toilet until the tank is dry, then use a wet vac to suck all the remaining water out of the tank and stool. Add enough RV antifreeze to the stool to cover the openings. We then covered the stool with Saran wrap 1) to prevent evaporation and 2) prevent any errant critters from getting in there. The whole cottage took less than a gallon of antifreeze, and we never had any problems.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:11 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If you're sick the doctor gives you a pill. That's a chemical and it's good for you. The same holds true for the RV antifreeze.....
Now that's kinda funny.

I didn't follow Biden or Fauci mandates either, I have my own set of rules as a very senior adult. I'm also in the VA system and in the process of changing doctors, which isn't easy, because of my lack in confidence with the current one and his staff.

No antifreeze for my family.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivins View Post
Now that's kinda funny.

I didn't follow Biden or Fauci mandates either, I have my own set of rules as a very senior adult. I'm also in the VA system and in the process of changing doctors, which isn't easy, because of my lack in confidence with the current one and his staff.

No antifreeze for my family.
I wasn't suggesting you drink the antifreeze. LOL
Old 09-30-2022, 06:44 AM   #33

All the talk about prices is interesting, nothing has been mentioned about the different types of RV antifreeze. The cheaper stuff is made with ethanol, which is the same stuff they put in gasoline. Poisonous and flammable.
More expensive, but 'safer', is the propylene glycol based stuff. It is harder to find since it is more money.

PG is used widely in the food and cosmetics business.
glwinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:03 AM   #34

100% beet juice ....organic if your picky. Lol
Jmckinstris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmckinstris View Post
100% beet juice ....organic if your picky. Lol
Darned pricey too. Especially when you lose it out of a tractor tire which holds 120 gallons of "Rim Guard" Sugar beet juice. T.G. it's biodegradable.
That can take all the Ha Ha's out of your day say nothing about the price of the tire and mobile service to change it.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I use the -50 pink stuff from Menards. Been using it for 20 yrs in my boats and the RV last couple yrs. Last week it was right around $3/gal.
Yep, $3.36/gallon for -50 pink stuff in their current ad. $2.99 after their endless rebate.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:25 AM   #37

If you do not want to pay the price of antifreeze, all you need is about a cup to a quart in each P-trap.
After you drain and blow air threw the H20 system.
Cthecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthecountry View Post
If you do not want to pay the price of antifreeze, all you need is about a cup to a quart in each P-trap.
After you drain and blow air threw the H20 system.
Bullseye!
Old 09-30-2022, 11:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
I just bought a case (6 bottles) of antifreeze for this winter. It was roughly twice as much as last winter at $12/bottle.
I only pay $3.99 a Gal. here in Utah.
and it only takes a Gal. to winterize our
Trailer.
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:29 PM   #40

Local Home Depot was closing it out at .99/gal last fall so I bought 6 gallons, more than enough to winterize my RV this season. Hopefully, they do that again.
COCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:37 PM   #41

Likely freight cost increases

I worked in food industry for 40 years. Everything that is shipped to stores comes with a cost of freight. Diesel prices have increased significantly and will increase cost of goods. Liquids are heavy and most freight is paid by weight.
Bthursty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:44 PM   #42

Here is my video on how to winterize a diesel motorhome with a Aquahot, Dishwasher, Washing machine, and ice maker. Remember you can’t blow the lines in a motorhome with Aquahot

https://youtu.be/F7t7w6LPcnQ
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, fluid, free, winter, winterizing