Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use boric acid. Works great
msaffa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 04:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaffa33 View Post
We use boric acid. Works great
We have seen sites where boric acid was used and the white powder remains on the ground and gets tracked into the coach, etc. Seems that those that use it pour it in a large circle around their RVs, and if ants don't want to cross it, that's fine...but what about the ants inside the circle that are next to your rig?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I sure wouldn't be spraying that stuff around a campsite where others will be using it.
If you want to kill ants, you find things that kill them. If you want to follow every attorney-based caveat that says to water down your water before drinking it, that's your personal choice, too.

Those of you that worry about these things have never dealt with LOTS of ants in some campsites, and those that consider Bifen I/T anything other than a modern-day miracle that kills ants, flies, hornets, centipedes, termites, then you must like to itch and scratch.

I use it inside the house and outside the house and my dogs don't have 7 legs or other problems. We live in the woods in south Alabama and we enjoy our outdoor pool (no enclosure) with maybe 1 or 2 mosquito bites a Year. Nothing kills mosquitoes like Bifen applied to surrounding bushes.

Google it and buy it online if you want zero insect problems at home or on the road.

My caveat: do not apply to flowering bushes so we don't reduce the bee population....
Old 05-21-2019, 12:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
You have never had an ant invasion, yet.
Oh but I have, many, many times. Was a licensed pesticide applicator for a public institution for 16 years. Had to deal with the little devils in food service areas, offices, breakrooms, crawl spaces, warehouses, landscaping, and the little stinkers that crawled all the way up to the attic of a two story building only to crawl down an interior wall to feast on the sticky contents of a recycle bin. I was stunned the first time I saw that little black line going up the exterior wall of that building to the second floor. From little bitty Odorous House Ant (sugar ants), to big jawed Thatching Ants that clamp down on your skin like a black and red pitbull and don't let go. Then there were the Carpenter Ants, turning building structures into sawdust. You should have seen the size of a nest discovered by roofers one summer day. Was a couple of huge, black, scrambling masses of Big Black ants, a couple feet in diameter. Quite a sight to behold. Thankfully, Fire ants were only just starting to make an appearance in our area so I was mostly spared that joy.

Believe me I sympathize with people who find ants invading their living space. Along with where I worked, I deal with pests at home and in the RV too. I'm simply trying to make people aware that when spraying a campsite, you are applying a regulated product to someone else's property which may be illegal in your state. State owned public property is usually tightly regulated as to pesticide application which is why I mentioned State and Federal Parks and land. Just because a product is legal to use on your own property doesn't make it legal to apply elsewhere. You have no idea what the previous occupant may have applied and the fact that some pesticides have residual action means repeated application can cause excessive build up in the soil in a place where other peoples pets and children may play. You may be there for a week, but the soil and it's contents will be there a lot longer. Also be aware that some pesticides are not compatible with others and when combined they can become much more toxic. This can be a problem is the previous occupant sprayed X and you sprayed and incompatible Y a couple days later.

Another way to look at is how would you feel if you discovered some stranger on your property spraying something on your soil without you being asked? Then how would you feel if you then discovered that not only did he not ask permission, but that he was applying a product that was not legal to apply to that area, then he was gone in a few days never to be seen again? Just food for thought.

I understand that vast majority of people aren't going around nuking their campsites with some nasty chemical marked with a skull and crossbones that emits green toxic cloud of deadly fumes into the air. I'm simply informing people discussing dealing with pests that there may be some laws in effect that they aren't aware of, especially if they are applying pesticides to another person's property. Like any legal or safety rules or laws, ignoring them is fine until it isn't. Before I got my license, I thought of killing pests the same way most people do - See, 'em, hate 'em, nuke 'em, Done. After learning about the the science, professional practices, and laws of pesticide application, I saw it in a whole different light and I'm sharing some of that knowledge.

Consider this as just information to do with what you please. No different that a diesel mechanic with 16 years experience warning people of possible problems with the way some are maintaining their engines.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #33

I have ants dropping from trees on to the roof of the 5er. I’d like to make the roof uninviting. It’s a rubber TPO or EPDM roof. Is there anything we can do or spray up there that is safe on the roof?
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Another way to look at is how would you feel if you discovered some stranger on your property spraying something on your soil without you being asked?
Without trying to dilute the sincerity of your post, you can be assured that if I was the property owner and somebody/anybody was killing lots of ants on it, they could be assured of a cold beer afterwards.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Without trying to dilute the sincerity of your post, you can be assured that if I was the property owner and somebody/anybody was killing lots of ants on it, they could be assured of a cold beer afterwards.

I think you are missing the point here. If I showed up and started dumping used motor oil all over your property in the name of killing ants, you would offer me a beer?? I could think of all kinds of things that would kill ants that you might not liked dumped on your land. Camp grounds are no different to wanting to protect their land/soil.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I think you are missing the point here. If I showed up and started dumping used motor oil all over your property in the name of killing ants, you would offer me a beer?? I could think of all kinds of things that would kill ants that you might not liked dumped on your land. Camp grounds are no different to wanting to protect their land/soil.

Apples and grapefruit, IMO. Your argument enlists an off-the-wall solution to a common problem. My point is to kill ants effectively, efficiently, and comfortably, with as little collateral damage as possible.

Yours doesn't do that.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
https://www.homedepot.com/p/AMDRO-24...2802/100598633 - I have used this stuff effectively for many years it keeps them out of the RV. Had them bad in Thousand Trails Chehalis one time, a fellow camper told me about it, keep one in the RV all the time, treat around the rig about every 10 days. It's granulated, and I just squeeze container to push it out of the side of the lid with the holes in it.

This stuff here works excellent on fire ants, I use it around home, knocks out the next in 24 hours. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Or...2210/100056182 - You don't need much, but get permission from RV park management.

Bifen I/T is for termites, will work on Fire Ants, but it's got a lot of cautions associated with it, so I stay away from it. It works, but the precautions are a bit much for ants.

Inside, use the aforementioned ant stations and if you get them outside, the inside ones will also be gone in a few days. You can also set off a bug bomb, but then everything inside will have to be washed down, and you will have to leave for about 6 hours while it does it's work, if you choose this option, everything has to be opened up, cabinets, drawers, etc. Food would have to be moved out (refer is ok since it's closed). It's a drastic step, but once it was my only option when BIL let ants get into camper he had stored on his place. Took 2-6-packs of the stuff to kill all of them.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Telstar pro works great. Has a residual after drying
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
In spray bottle, mix half white vinegar and water. Add 2 squirts of Dawn original dishwashing liquid. Spray on ants inside. Will kill them. Clean up dead ants as they leave no kin behind and come back to eat their own. You have to spray each time you see a line of ants but it is safe for you and your pets. They go back to their nest at night and follow trail left by hunter ants in the AM. The spray stops them from leaving a trail. Outside we use Ortho on anything that touches the ground and tires. Borax will dry out and they will walk right over it. We were invaded once by soldier ants before spraying. Respray after every rain. It is a battle but can be won. Soldier ants are vicious biters and will get into clothes inside closets. Be careful.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #40

Ants

Jesus made ants too. Feed them at your power cord and water hose. God Bless
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
I like a more natural approach. Not against pesticides.. but with children and pets around I like natural mo betta. I had ants that found dog food stored in my rv bathroom.. big trail overnight. Wow. Anyhow, Google Borax for Ants. But the gist of it is.. mix about 1/4 c of powdered sugar with a couple tablespoons of powdered borax. Not an instant kill.. but, there were none the next day. They take it back to the nest and feed it to the developing larva and eat some themselves. They get a terrible tummy ache and poof.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #42

Insecticide.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote