Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #43

There's plenty of places right here in the good ole' USA where I can be subjected to rudeness and condension. I don't need to drive to a foreign border to deal with that.

I've often wondered this if Canada is such a great place to visit, why is it 80% of Canadians live here from October to May.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2018, 10:32 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm so bad... I'd have to do something hilarious.. like hide a bluetooth speaker in a bay, and then from my phone play a recording that says in a hushed voice "żYa llegamos? -- shhh ˇQuédate quieto!"

Did you hear something? I didn't hear anything, not sure what you're talking about sir..
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
There's plenty of places right here in the good ole' USA where I can be subjected to rudeness and condension. I don't need to drive to a foreign border to deal with that.

I've often wondered this if Canada is such a great place to visit, why is it 80% of Canadians live here from October to May.
There's plenty of places right here in the good ole' USA where I can be subjected to kind, caring and polite people. And our experience is Canada also has kind, caring and polite people plus beautiful countryside.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #46

Although it's been a good many years now (5+) since our BC to AK trip and some regs. may have changed, the border crossing both ways went much like Bigd9 describes his, very smoothly. There were several other RV's parked just past the entrance that didn't fare as well. One of the questions asked was if we had pepper spray, which seemed strange, but it seemed to be considered about equal with firearms.

We went without firearms, but somewhere along our trip I talked with another traveler who told me he had a shotgun for which he had submitted the proper forms and received a permit to carry into Canada several months earlier. If you are one who feels better having the ability to protect yourself, that would be an option.

Before our trip I visited the credit union and got about $300.00 Canadian. That and our credit union credit card provided enough for us to stay about 1.5 months and still have a bit of Canadian money left after returning. Every major purchase was done with the CC and the cash used for small expenditures. Some of their coins are unique and beautiful.

One bit of humor on me was was my concern about the speed limits which were in kph instead of mph. At one of the first border crossings I asked if I could get a piece of paper with the most common kph limits translated into mph. The young man there said certainly and did so, then replied that kph was also on the speedometer, which it was.

We didn't have any pets, but others have addressed that pretty well. For definite answers about specific questions I would ask the Canadian government and perhaps get something in writing to produce at the border?

We were treated very well by everyone we came in contact with, no complaints on our part there.

Have a wonderful trip!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
There's plenty of places right here in the good ole' USA where I can be subjected to kind, caring and polite people. And our experience is Canada also has kind, caring and polite people plus beautiful countryside.
So true! Canadians are wonderful folks as are most people anywhere. Canadians come south in winter because of the weather, not because they don't like Canada.

We've never had an issue crossing the border. I don't know why folks make such a big deal out of it. Any border has their own laws. Follow them and you'll have no problems. Simple.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #48

[QUOTE=minnow;4059545]There's plenty of places right here in the good ole' USA where I can be subjected to rudeness and condension. I don't need to drive to a foreign border to deal with that.

I've often wondered this if Canada is such a great place to visit, why is it 80% of Canadians live here from October to May.[/QUOTE]

Really, you actually had the think about it often!
And, 80% too!
How many times would you actually sit down and try to figure out why Canadians spend October to May in the south before you came up with an answer?
Seems a rather simple one, could it possibly be to get away from the cold and snow, like all those from NY, Ohio and Michigan too!!
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #49

Thank you to everyone who provided advice and insight. Please keep it coming!

For those who are advocating not going into Canada because of possible “rudeness” of the border officers; that has already been decided. We are going.

We have decided that Flipper the turtle is going to have to sit this one out and we’ll leave him behind and just deal with the rest of our menagerie!
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:26 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post

We have decided that Flipper the turtle is going to have to sit this one out and we’ll leave him behind and just deal with the rest of our menagerie!
On no, tell me it ain't so! You can't leave flipper home. What will he do? Who will talk with him?

Now you have to post a picture of flipper for all of us to see. Do you have one of him sitting in the driver's seat?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #51

Turtle-Cam. 24/7 non stop action of the turtle moving 12" one way, then the other.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Actually the number is more like 2% are snowbirds. A similar amount of US citizens head north in the summer.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Actually the number is more like 2% are snowbirds. A similar amount of US citizens head north in the summer.
Although I highly doubt the "2%" of Americans going north in the summer spend 6-8 months there like the "2%" of the Canadians do here each fall/winter/spring.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #54

I don't know if this was mentioned or not but many gas stations here in Canada are pay at the pump only, so for ease of use make sure your credit card or debit card has a PIN because you'll have to enter it at the pump prior to filling. Increasingly more stations are now equipped with tap terminals where you can just tap your CC or Debit Card, no PIN or signature required.

I only mention this because last summer I had an American traveller ask me how he could get gas since his card did not have a pin associated with it. All I could tell him was ask the attendant.

You should also be aware while the vast majority of stations do have an attendant on duty, some small towns in less travelled areas may not during the off hours and then operate like a card lock.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #55

Quote:

Rudeness and "condension"(?) has no borders and can be found anywhere.

80%? Since you've never been here I'll assume you are just trying to be being funny. Good one.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #56

Quote:
Although I highly doubt the "2%" of Americans going north in the summer spend 6-8 months there like the "2%" of the Canadians do here each fall/winter/spring.
Once again Minnow, you might want to get the facts straight.
Canadians are only allowed 180 days max. (6 months) in the US and not 8 months as you state.
Oh, I guess I forgot to ask, "why" the animosity towards Canadians?
That is not the type of reception we get while travelling in the US, nor, portray when our neighbours south of the border vacation in our country.
Time to chill out.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, advice, canada