Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #43

I guess back to the question. Last March I purchased a new to me 2015 Newmar Essex hole still owning a 2005 Country Coach Affinity. The dealer recommended I sell outright do to the market then. Which I had tried and didn’t have much luck at $40,000.00 less than I sold it for. I listed the CC again a couple of months ago and I think I could of sold as many as could of got my hands on. Email inquiries started pouring in within an hour of the post. Sold it within a couple of weeks for a fair number and I think I could of got more if I would if tried.

I checked numbers on my Essex back then and the NADA numbers were higher than when I purchased it. So yes it is a sellers market but it may still be that way when you are looking for the replacement. My issue is even though I am fairly healthy I am still 66 plus years old, my hobby is prospecting for gold and I am not getting any younger. It all gets harder the older I get so I am not willing to be without an RV so I will keep what I have. Plus I’m not to great at speculating a market.
Good luck folks, safe travels and enjoy what life we have left.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 05:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
His comment was actually in no way political. By it's nature, yours was, however.

As to the OP, it really would be circumstantial in my view.

We bought in April, sold in November, and bought in February. That's not normal, but it certainly worked for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzi95001 View Post
That's half the problem with this world: The inability to just pass over someone's speech. If you didn't like just let it go. No need to reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashers3 View Post
Your post didn't bother me Winterbegoal....but the negative response sure did, and NO I wouldn't sell our rig. It's better now, than when I bought it.
My take on this exchange was the same as above. Especially the idea that the complainant was himself bringing politics into an innocuous comment.
Thanks for responding in defense of the OP, who did not, in my opinion owe any apology.
honestray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm with many others. It took a while to find the right rv, then it takes 2-3 years to get it just right outfitting it, custom mods, etc... not sure a short term gain of let's call it 15 to 20 is worth it.

If I was not happy with the RV, which we have named "Allice". Yes it would be gone.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
I would not recommend that concept. If you are happy with your rig, keep it and enjoy it. You are not likely to make enough on the round trip process to cover your costs, and then you are starting over with an unknown quality rig. The costs of selling your rig, plus the aggravation of dealing with brokers and low ballers, will not be worth it. Then when you go back into the uncertain future market you will be paying the new sales commission and costs, plus the sales tax on your purchase.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #47

Stopped heavy travel several years ago when second set up grandchildren were born. Used the MH for very casual and infrequent outings. Two years ago could not give it away. Four months ago a buyer flew across the US to pay full retail price to drive it back across country. We were shocked and sold! Looking for small trailer to have fun with grandchildren.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Until they discover that you can buy one but you can't find a place to park it. Approximately 500,000 new RVs are sold every year. How many new campgrounds are being built?

Very true! On a side note, a few people I know found out "after the fact" their city's ordinance laws or homeowner's association wouldn't let 'em store their RV on their driveway, alongside their garage, or in their backyard ... which of course left 'em no choice but to burn a $1000/yr (give or take) just to store their rig at a local storage facility.

Getting back to the OPs original Qs, I recently sold my pop-up and "was" in the market for a used MH until all the recent red flags started to form a perfect storm... things are just too crazy given the current MH/RV shortage and how sellers are asking almost double Bluebook for used MH/RVs. Plus, this Summer's MH/RV vacation season is expected to break records and if that isn't enough... there's talk of continued limited capacity at many parks and the BLM is actually closing free camping sites because certain areas (due to the increase in campers) has seen a major rise in trashed sites and campers over-staying the 2wk camping limit...which (imo) kind of sounds like/translates into park "staffing" shortages(?) Did I mention fuel prices are on the rise(?) : (

Almost needless to say, I've decided to let things settle down and wait til 2022 before pulling the trigger... God knows, w/my luck, I'd buy used now and take a bath once "MH/RV fever" subsides.
xWJKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #49

After 30 years of travel trailers we ordered a new Class-C late February and listed our trailer when we got home from Florida in April. Listed it online and sold it three days later for MUCH more than we paid for it two years ago. It is definitely a sellers market and new ones are not going to get any less expensive.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I started to respond to this comment, but find it impossible to do so and remain civil. So I'll just ask you to keep your political beliefs out of this forum.
Why is his opinion political?
jljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:50 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I started to respond to this comment, but find it impossible to do so and remain civil. So I'll just ask you to keep your political beliefs out of this forum.
And yet comment you did. By your own definition, your post was not civil...
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:30 AM   #52

Well as usual some comments are getting off topic. Ill stick with the op's question.
Selling your rig now and hoping for a bigger better deal in the future is a gamble in my opinion. You may fare well, you may not. As others have mentioned, if your happy with your rig now Id keep it. "Casual" use is a relative statement. For us, it would be hugely negative not having our camper. Its the "bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" rationale.
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:58 AM   #53

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is our eighteenth year of class A ownership and wouldn’t trade it for a wooden nickel. As in the past. The RV industry thrives and dies based upon gas prices. It is not a matter if but when gas prices go up that is when you will see the RV market flip.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #54

Selling my Fleetwood, Southwind 32V

Hi All, I retired in June last year 2020 and was excited to hit the road in my 2004 32ft Fleetwood class A, new to me, only 24,000 miles on it. Haven’t had time to go anywhere regardless to Covid. Have been landed with a long term commitment due to a death in my circle and unfortunately will be going nowhere anytime soon.
If anyone is interested please let me know, I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this discussion but I just thought I would throw it out there in response to this thread here.
BerniMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #55

Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I'm not sure anything will ever "return to normal", but I do agree that the longer this overemphasized pandemic, and the loss of freedom to travel and enjoy your senior years goes on, the more I resent the whole thing. Many of us seniors haven't got 1-2-3 years to stay at home, waiting for covid "parole" to happen. I want out now.
So go out now, who is stopping you? We have pretty much gone where we have wanted to or where we could go with no issues. Maskless too. You are only a prisoner if you allow it to happen. Short of handcuffing you and putting you in jail, you can go where you want to.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
Nope, ain't selling. My retirement plans are to travel N America with my TT and see this beautiful land of ours. Can't do that if I sell out now, then can't afford to buy another "better" rig.
Retirement is merely a matter of months away.
Same here. We got a GREAT deal when we bought our 2018 KZ 24.5' TT in Feb 2020. While I would love to have a couch, I love the rest of it too much to give it up and pay more for an upgrade.

I retire August 2022 and plan to travel to Washington and Oregon, maybe Utah.
karensay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, sell