Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

Any Casual RVers Selling This Year and Buying Later

This is not a solicitation to buy or sell.

Just curious if anyone has looked at RV Trader and considered selling their rig this year and buying next year when things will probably cool off?

I have a trip planned but have to say that I am considering throwing it on RV Trader when we return. What do I have to lose??? The prices RV's are going for are crazy compared to 14 months ago!

I enjoy RVing so would likely return when this craziness has cooled off. It feels like everything is in short supply now from lumber, jet ski's, bicycles. Heck even car manufacturers have had to shut some lines down due to chip shortages.

But this will pass.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 05:36 PM   #2

To be honest, the thought has crossed my mind. But we've got plans for 2 weeks in June, 3 other weekends later in the summer, and then a week over fall break. By the time were done with that, I figure the sellers market will be over.

Pete
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Remember when RV tires went from $300 - $500 to $800 - $1000 when the price of oil was hitting a $100 a barrel. The oil has been back down in the $30's for several years, yet the tires haven't dropped a dollar.

I agree, prices will probably return to normal, but that's a big chance to take, unless you already planned to replace the coach. I'll be 65 years old next month, and realistically plan to RV until about 75, maybe more, maybe less. For me, if I take a year off, that's 10% of my RVing that I can't get back. I already lost 18 months to Covid.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #4

I'm not sure anything will ever "return to normal", but I do agree that the longer this overemphasized pandemic, and the loss of freedom to travel and enjoy your senior years goes on, the more I resent the whole thing. Many of us seniors haven't got 1-2-3 years to stay at home, waiting for covid "parole" to happen. I want out now.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #5

Not a chance.

We looked long and hard to find the MH we wanted, and no matter if we sold it for twice what we paid, the wild card of getting another like her isn’t worth the gamble.

If we had a lot more money in the bank it might be another story, but we don’t.

What we do have is a low mileage quality built gas motorhome, and we ain’t giving it up any time soon.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:06 PM   #6

If you don’t mind spending a few years without your MH, I would do it. Last year we purchased our first MH, a gasser. Liked the lifestyle so we thought we’d have a short window to sell it without a loss. Bought a DP and sold the gasser for what we paid in a week. If you’re thinking of selling, do it now. List prices are high and dealer discounts are down. I think we could make at least 10% on the DP we bought last year.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I ran in to a couple in Nappanee last month who were getting the bugs worked out of their new London Aire. The plan was to travel until August, and then sell it, thinking that a near new rig, all sorted out and immediately available might be a money maker or at least break even. Not how I would do it, but part of their motivation is the current RV market.

I also have friends with a Liesure Travel that they will probably sell this summer and buy something new next year. Given current prices they think they can get what they paid for it 3 years ago.

I could gross almost $30k above the purchase price of my coach I bought last May before things went nuts in the RV market. I’ve put about $15k in to it and paid around $13k in sales tax and registration. So I could about break even after over 20k miles of travel. But I’m just getting the thing the way I want it, so no thoughts of selling here.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:37 AM   #8

Supply and demand, still works. Spoke to a fellow yesterday about his new Corvette. Said he had to search well out of our locale to get it. He's already been offered $30K over what he paid for it. It's just past the 800KM break-in period.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I'm not sure anything will ever "return to normal", but I do agree that the longer this overemphasized pandemic, and the loss of freedom to travel and enjoy your senior years goes on, the more I resent the whole thing. Many of us seniors haven't got 1-2-3 years to stay at home, waiting for covid "parole" to happen. I want out now.
I started to respond to this comment, but find it impossible to do so and remain civil. So I'll just ask you to keep your political beliefs out of this forum.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I started to respond to this comment, but find it impossible to do so and remain civil. So I'll just ask you to keep your political beliefs out of this forum.
Apologies. Please delete the post if possible.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:56 AM   #11

Sure the thought has crossed my mind, but I have spent way too much time getting things sorted out to just about where I want them on my coach to actually do it.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Apologies. Please delete the post if possible.
Everyone is frustrated with it and ready for it to end. For some it’s been overemphasized, for some perhaps under, for others it’s just been tragic, but we’re all ready to see it end, and we are getting there. Deep breaths...

I have my vaccination card, which I’ll take with me on my travels. Hasn’t been a big deal for my dog - been traveling with his vaccination records for years...

Edit: just noticed Winterbagoal is in Canada - that adds some perspective. Interesting - he wants out; I want in. I’ve been disappointed that I can’t go to Canada, but I never thought about Canadians not able to come here and what that means to them. I guess even more empathy is in order, when as with used motorhomes, supplies are runnin low
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I think there will be a glut of used lower end entry level RVs available for sale when people finally can travel freely without restrictions, cruises available from US ports, etc. I haven't heard of too many families buying high-end DPs to scratch their travel itch. I'm not sure the demand is as great for the high end stuff as is thought.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:46 PM   #14

I believe that the price of new and used coaches will continue to rise in the next few years.

The costs of the lumber and other building materials is rising at a rapid rate, Accessories and components coming from China seem to be getting more and more tarrifs leve'd on them.
Minimum wages continue to climb while insurance and land costs also are rising.
New buyers are requesting more and more features to be added and this will result in additional costs as well.

Not sure what will be causing prices to drop. Camping just seems to be getting more and more popular. After Covid I suspect that many people that have been couped up in their homes will want to take vacations.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, sell