Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Like others said I carry the Traeger Junior. I bought it at Costco for about $300. I just threw away the legs and sit it on 4 bricks I carry on the picnic table. I have had about 6 smokers up to competition/trailer size and this is the easiest quick and lightest smoker that is not a huge mess to carry and will still smoke 4 racks of baby backs or 2-3 chickens. It is also very quick (<10 mins) to heat up and cook steaks or burgers with that smoky flavor. It will heat from 200-450F.
This is exactly what I want to do. I would have to put it in the one compartment that is not under my slides. It is going to be tough enough getting in and out anyway without having to do it under the slide.

I have a piece of fireproof plywood that I have used for another grill that would work under this. This would be just about the same size of usable space in my small stick smoker. The end toward the firebox gets to hot to smoke anything "slow and low".

Once I get my "rocking chair" money coming in I will get one.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #44

After struggling with my stick smoker over the weekend the Traeger is looking better and better.

How long will a 20 pound bag of pellets last? I need to figure out how much I would need for a 6 hour smoke plus a few time grilling stuff.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
After struggling with my stick smoker over the weekend the Traeger is looking better and better.

How long will a 20 pound bag of pellets last? I need to figure out how much I would need for a 6 hour smoke plus a few time grilling stuff.
For low temp (Smoke setting), I think it's about 1lb/hr. Maybe 1.5lb. More for higher temps, of course, so grilling will burn more. When you figure your initial purchase, allow for the 1hr high temp burn in that the manual specifies.

joe
Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Traeger pellets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
For low temp (Smoke setting), I think it's about 1lb/hr. Maybe 1.5lb. More for higher temps, of course, so grilling will burn more. When you figure your initial purchase, allow for the 1hr high temp burn in that the manual specifies.

joe
I think about 1 lb/ hr sounds right. A bag is 20lbs and costs about $20, so figure $1/hr which is as cheap as any smoker I've used except the wood you cut on your own property. ACE hardware sells the pellets nationwide, or at least at most of the ACE stores I have visited in FL, MS, TN, MO. I think I have also seen them at Sportman's Warehouse. Some Walmarts and Cabelas.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Traeger sells theirs direct at 20lb for $18.99, free shipping, minimum two bags. And pretty fast delivery, considering the weight of the box. I think FedEx drivers must hate them.

Amazon has some brands too, at lower price per pound, but high shipping fees. There's another source I want to try sometime, but their rates are very high too - https://www.cookinpellets.com.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
BTW - for any of you pitmasters who are Mac users, check out StokerX.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #49

Here is what I use. A mini-wsm... Pretty small to cary anywhere...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-119665464.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	45479   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2703489732.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	45480  

Dubsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #50
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Went to the fair yesterday and Traeger had a booth. I had been thinking about it for a while and finally decided to give it a try. Got a Junior Elite so I have the digital controller. Looking forward to the delivery and to trying it out.

At home I use a Big Green Egg which is great but not much of an option in the MH. The mini is just to small. Looking for great things from the Traeger.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #51

The Junior has a "folding leg kit" now. I received an email today concerning it. Below is the link.

Junior Folding Leg Kit Product Details - Traeger Online Store

I have not found a spot to look at a Junior yet.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, I got that email too. I had already bought the tailgator kit, and was thinking about trying to swap them. But I don't think the folding legs gives you the extra insulation that comes with the tailgator. I think it's meant for carrying around with the legs folded, but only using it with them extended. I want to run mine while it's sitting in the basement tray, so I'll stick with the kit I have.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #53

My SIL called me today to see if I would be willing to smoke some ribs, pork loin and pork shoulder while we are up at Eureka Springs for my niece's wedding. This would be only for everyone that will be staying with them. I cannot take my smoker being it is to heavy and not towable. They said they could borrow this model from a neighbor.

Academy - Outdoor Gourmet Triton DLX Smoker

This one does not look very good and has bad reviews. I am trying to talk the DW into letting me get the Traeger Junior and take it with us. It would fit in the back of the Equinox we have. We do not plan on taking the MH on this trip. But she is concerned about when we are coming back with it and the smoke smell will get into the Equinox. It is a 2 day trip.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
I doubt you could get all that in the Junior, not in one session.

Don't know anything about that other smoker. But I would never commit to doing something for a wedding on a smoker I was not familiar with. Last year I did 5 pork butts at once in my WSM for my Dad's 80th birthday party.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #55

It will be several different cooks. I will mainly be doing the cooking outside to feed the immediate family. This frees up the women-folk doing their wedding things!!!

Do the pellets from cookinpellets work OK with the Traeger without voiding the warranty?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Do the pellets from cookinpellets work OK with the Traeger without voiding the warranty?
According the the other BBQ forums I read (mostly pelletheads.com), they work fine. Any 100% hardwood pellets intended for cooking (not heating) should be fine.