Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Mine us 10 yrs old now. So far no problems.

Mr D,

I think you can get around the 10 year rule for many years to come. That is an awesome looking coach!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #58

I have not had a problem. We have stayed at some Resorts which express a concern with older MHs.

I have detailed maintenance records and the rig looks like brand new inside and out. Perhaps that has had some effect, I don't know.

Of course mine is just 12 years old so maybe if it gets to be older with me who knows.
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #59

Rigs older then 10 years

My Rig is 20 years old. I have never been denied entry into an RV part/resort. I keep 6 pics on my computer and when they question the rig I just email the pics and have always been approved.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #60

National RV Owners Club
Location: Beginning Full Timing from Katy, TX, but I'm from Portland, OR
The entire Portland, OR metro area, including Vancouver, WA, has the 10 year or newer rule.

I'm from Portland. I had business there for 30 years. I closed that business and moved to a job in the Dallas/Ft Worth Area. I retired to full time RV living.
On my first trip to Portland, I was turned down by every park I called. There was one exception, Jantzen Beach RV Park. But it is in an awkward place to then visit family scattered across the area.

Makes me wonder how much money the city of Portland and the Tri-Countly area is losing because the RV'rs just pass through.
mmccray100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
' If they’re that snobby id prefer to pass by anyway.'
I don't know that it's a case of snobby in all cases. We don't have a motor-home, but a travel trailer. One summer we were checking out various campgrounds, privately owned, and at a couple of them I was asked how old my trailer was. I thought this a rather odd question but when I dug into the reasoning behind it, was informed that some people with older trailers, really older, put them on a camp site, and then the trailer owners are never seen again. The trailers are just left on site with no form of owner identification.
But, I don't think a camper with a safe, drive able motor-home, would take a site and use it as a dumping ground. I can't understand why, when somebody drives into a campground in a motor-home, they should be rejected because of the age of the motor-home.
On the other hand, 'snobby' just might fit.
Darrell D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #62

Our coach is a 1999 DSDP. It is in mint condition. We are able to stay at the 10 year rule resorts.
HOW! We have to send them a picture of the coach. Some resorts want a view from all sides others just a side view with the front included. We always get excellent response of the condition of our coach.
Justzdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #63

10 years

Glad to read that there isn't to much worry about the 10 year rule at CGs. I thought I've heard, though, that there are some repair shops that use that rule saying they can't get parts.How much of a problem is that?
Buppalepcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #64

10 years

Glad to read that there isn't to much worry about the 10 year rule at CGs. I thought I've heard, though, that there are some repair shops that use that rule saying they can't get parts. How much of a problem is that?
Buppalepcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Nope, as long as it 'looks' clean and well maintained. My Monaco is a 2003 and is kept like new: detailed semi-annually, wheels polished, new awnings, top plastic replaced i.e. a/c covers, etc. I have only been asked twice to send pictures when making reservations. One was truly a 5-star and the other a private ownership park (where a property management service rents out spaces). I know some parks actually state in their reservation pages an age limit, but I have never been questioned or turned away.
GO, enjoy the road!
mjbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #66

At what point does a RV go from being old to being a classic.

We have owned 2 classic coaches and 1 very new coach.

The Thor looked like the broken down pictures above after 3 years because it was poorly built. I did not want it on my property either.

The first RV here in the States, a '75 GMC motorhome, refit, shiny like a new dime, was always welcome. It drew lots of attention. Only stayed in one 10 year rule CG. They were totally happy and put us in a great spot where we were highly visible.

Now, with the '85 Country Coach, which looks like new, we draw even more attention.(we are only the 2nd owners) One private CG in California ask for pictures. Then I had to spend an hour listening to the ole girl talking about the previous owners of our coach. They had spent several months at her CG and of course we were welcome.

Ok, I am over the top about maintenance and upgrades. When we are on the road I always have the next truck-wash in the GPS.

We are much happier with old things, including each other. Guy Clark says it much better than I.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Most of the campgrounds, RV parks, and RV "resorts" don't really care how old your RV is. But the nicer parks don't want junker RVs to take up space in their campground. Beat up RVs with poor exterior maintenance gives the impression that your camping neighbors don't take care of their RV. So those rules are there in case someone shows up with a rattle-trap tow vehicle towing an older beat-up trailer, or an old motorhome that has obviously has seen better days.

Same reason there are gated communities in residential areas. If you're driving a $200,000 diesel pusher you don't want someone with a $5,000 junker to park next to you. Snob? No, just someone who likes to choose their campfire neighbors.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #68

Old 96 lazy daze

I never had a problem getting into an Rv park in Arizona, calif. Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, or anywhere in the west! Although my motorhome was a 1996 I kept it waxed and clean, she was a beauty( just sold her 4 months ago) I admit sometimes when asked age I fudged about 10 years but never was asked again when I drove in😍
Llampys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:21 PM   #69

Our rig is going on 14. Have only been asked one time by a RV resort on Mustang Island in south Texas.
okietraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #70

Any problems getting into RV parks with an RV older than 10 years?

[QUOTE=SmokeyWren;4656280

Same reason there are gated communities in residential areas. If you're driving a $200,000 diesel pusher you don't want someone with a $5,000 junker to park next to you. Snob? No, just someone who likes to choose their campfire neighbors.[/QUOTE]

Choosing who you want to be around based on how expensive there things are is pretty much the definition of snob.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems