Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
I think the choices are:

1) Use what you got and start dumping early

2) Use the onboard pump and dump the fresh water into your holding tanks, may not hold it all, LoL

3) Use/install a 1 1/2" gate valve. I have a gate valve that dumps 62 gallons in about 5 minutes.

4) Take an extended outdoor shower or get Rover really clean.

5) maybe not fill the fresh water tank in the first place.

IMO- it's crazy that RV's can't handle the weight of full tanks, fuel, propane & water. The OCCC rating of an RV should always be considered in the purchase process. I guess if you have an all electric rig and always stay at full service campgrounds than it might not matter.
Fair question, it's not the right rv for the truck but it's what I have! I tried to pump thing but it's really not that it's quicker and I'm not entirely sure it's good for it to run non-stop either. If things got to be only a quarter inch wide so it doesn't move much.
pc500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I've owned several pop-ups, travel trailers, 5Ws and motorhomes and none of them had a fresh water tank drain bigger than 3/4" with a ball valve. My last motorhome didn't even have a separate fresh tank drain. To empty the fresh tank, I ran the pump and opened the low point drains.

You may be thinking of the gray waste drain, which is 1.5" (per plumbing code). That's why its faster to pump the fresh tank contents into a sink or shower and let it run down the drain, exiting via the larger gray tank drain line.

Essentially what I'm opening is the low point drain on the freshwater tank below the trailer.

The RV water pump is pretty slow too it can't be more than a few gallons per minute but might be an option.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc500 View Post
Fair question, it's not the right rv for the truck but it's what I have! I tried to pump thing but it's really not that it's quicker and I'm not entirely sure it's good for it to run non-stop either. If things got to be only a quarter inch wide so it doesn't move much.
When is it you fill the fresh water tank? At home or at the campground? Why fill it so much if you are not going to use it in the first place.

If I'm headed to a full service camp I'll fill to about the 20 gallon level. This gives me plenty water for the drive day plus If things go south I've still have enough for full day.

If the destination does not have a water hookup, I'll take-on enough water for the planed stay plus a little more.

Some fresh tanks may have an un-used larger pipe port. One of these on the bottom could be fitted with a larger drain pipe. I would not cut a new into the tank, making a good joint to a fitting on some kinds of plastic mat be very hard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #18

If you need to dump the black or grey tanks when you leave prior to leaving just let you faucets run and fill the black tank to capacity to use up the fresh water. Then go dump.

That's wasteful. You never explained why you fill your fresh water tank in the first place.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you need to dump the black or grey tanks when you leave prior to leaving just let you faucets run and fill the black tank to capacity to use up the fresh water. Then go dump.

That's wasteful. You never explained why you fill your fresh water tank in the first place.

Planning the exact amount you need is hard, and sometimes departure plans change. It usually isn't totally full, but almost always you want to favor filling more due to the fact getting more water means breaking camp.

In most cases it really isn't that bad.

I think the best answer at this point is to dump it "At the campsite" the night before at dark (so you don't get any inquiries there either).
Old 09-08-2020, 12:00 AM   #20

In CA clear water is permissible on the roadway. People getting your attention probably think they’re doing you a favor by letting you know, or as stated, think you’re dumping waste. Do you ever use the full 100 gallons. My Class C only holds 40 and I can go for nearly a week. But I only use my fresh water for bathing and flushing the toilet. I carry bottled water for consumption.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:33 AM   #21

Hook up a hose to an outdoor shower faucet or install an external hose bin and wash your rig before departing. If questioned explain its on board water.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I've owned several pop-ups, travel trailers, 5Ws and motorhomes and none of them had a fresh water tank drain bigger than 3/4" with a ball valve. My last motorhome didn't even have a separate fresh tank drain. To empty the fresh tank, I ran the pump and opened the low point drains.

You may be thinking of the gray waste drain, which is 1.5" (per plumbing code). That's why its faster to pump the fresh tank contents into a sink or shower and let it run down the drain, exiting via the larger gray tank drain line.
Newer trailers often have a much larger FW tank drain.

Ours is 1-1/2"

Old 09-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I think the best answer at this point is to dump it "At the campsite" the night before at dark (so you don't get any inquiries there either).
Nothing nicer than the camper before you dumping water and whatever on the site so you can muck around in the mud when you arrive! This happens more and more due to newbies lack of camping courtesy.

We leave the campsite clean or cleaner than we found it. Don't need to hose it down to do that,
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Newer trailers often have a much larger FW tank drain.

Ours is 1-1/2"

Pretty rocky and bumpy site you were in!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #25

here's what i did. i wish i had a picture to send.

your drain hose probably has a 1/2" npt cap on it. take the cap off and put on a 90 degree elbow. connect some pvc pipe to the elbow output and run it over to the side of the rv. use a beam clamp and some plumbers tape to hold the pvd pipe to the frame beam. put a 1/2 turn pvc valve on the end of the pipe and then put on a fitting that ends in a male garden hose thread.

with this you can attach a garden hose to the drain. and you can open / close the drain using the valve on the side rather than having to go under to take the cap off. you can route the water anywhere using a garden hose so there is not mess or mud under the rv.

yes it takes some time to drain. just start draining as soon as you know your are leaving.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Pretty rocky and bumpy site you were in!
That's at home .

Old 09-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy a bigger tow vehicle or smaller trailer

I hope you are are talking about fresh water and not about dumping gray water. Why are you filling your fresh water to 100 gal all the time, and why do you still have 100 gal after you have camped? NEVER drain it at your site. It is a mess for the park and the next resident! If you must drain it, do it on a roadside. Don't do it at the dump station. Many dump stations are septic tanks and fields and all you are doing is filling those.

If you can not tow your trailer with full water, then it is too big and you should get a different size trailer or tow vehicle. Your tow veiled should be able to handle the trailer at its Max Gross Weght. It is not just about the weight, it is about stability and safety.
Magnum108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Planning the exact amount you need is hard, and sometimes departure plans change. It usually isn't totally full, but almost always you want to favor filling more due to the fact getting more water means breaking camp.

In most cases it really isn't that bad.

Sure glad I am not in a campsite after you. Bet it is a muddy mess.
Magnum108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, led, water