Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #1

Any recommendations for dumping fresh water without getting yelled at?

So my tow unit really can't hold the weight of my RV, so I need to dump the 100 gallons of fresh water before I travel if it's not used. There's a drain plug but it literally takes an hour to drain.

Has anyone found tactfully the best way to do this?

I've started pulling the plug and driving away, but I get honks and stuff from people who probably rightfully fear I'm dumping sewage or something ("liquid dripping from RV").

I suppose I could drill the tank and make a larger hole so I can get the job done in 3 minutes on the side of the road somewhere instead, but I'm open for suggestion.

Any real harm/risk as long as I can prove it's fresh water? Just ignore the helpful people?
pc500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The quickest way I found is to run the sinks and shower. Than drain the waste water tank or like I have done leave the dump valve open.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #3

my 30 gal. has a 2" gate valve like the ones on the dump line, it will drain in a couple min. i don't know how difficult it is to install one, but that's what you need. i can't imagine it doesn't have one.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not understanding the one hour drain cycle? WHAT???

Most rv's have a 1 1/2" drain at the bottom of the fresh water tank with a slice valve to release the water.

That said, I dump when parked at the curb if I need to dump FRESH WATER. Please don't do this when moving down the road. If you were behind in a motorcycle or scooter, you would not appreciate it! Don't ask how I know this!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the choices are:

1) Use what you got and start dumping early

2) Use the onboard pump and dump the fresh water into your holding tanks, may not hold it all, LoL

3) Use/install a 1 1/2" gate valve. I have a gate valve that dumps 62 gallons in about 5 minutes.

4) Take an extended outdoor shower or get Rover really clean.

5) maybe not fill the fresh water tank in the first place.

IMO- it's crazy that RV's can't handle the weight of full tanks, fuel, propane & water. The OCCC rating of an RV should always be considered in the purchase process. I guess if you have an all electric rig and always stay at full service campgrounds than it might not matter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Start dumping the water earlier before traveling.

Or, put less water in the tank.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Not understanding the one hour drain cycle? WHAT???

Most rv's have a 1 1/2" drain at the bottom of the fresh water tank with a slice valve to release the water.
I don't!

Have about a 1/2" PEX line and a ball valve.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
PKI

fresh water dump

First, slow travel, likely does not cause your rig to see significant additional forces . Capacity numbers are static measurements, which are used to project the maximum forces. Those would be at maximum speeds - 65 through the speed limit. At 40-50mph those forces are much less. Fresh water weight may actually be the best you have as it's low in the coach.

Next - most code allows water and chicken feathers to leak onto the road. So, in most places draining water on the road is not a violation, but as you say, folks think you should know you are leaking.

Suggestion - when we drain the city water hose, we do it on a tree. Seems like watering local landscape is a possible solution. Also, you can use fresh water to douse a campfire, completely.

IMHO - would not make the drain larger. Might add a tubing connection. Would not just stop by the side of the road. That's the last place that needs water. Kind of the same issue as you drive down the road.

Good luck with the solution that works for you.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #9

The real question here is why do you repeating have 100 gallons of fresh water to dump ?
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #10

OP, I'm kinda confused (doesn't take much for me ).

Are you saying that you're at a campsite with the tank full and that you need to empty if before taking off for home? You didn't have water in the tank when you arrived so it's evident that you filled the tank at the campsite. How'd you do that? If there's a campground spigot, why not leave the tank out of the picture and just use the campground's water pressure?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about letting the water dribble out while going down the highway. I used to ride and if I felt a drop or some mist, simply backed off or got on by the dripping vehicle. Was no big thang...
Old 09-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've owned several pop-ups, travel trailers, 5Ws and motorhomes and none of them had a fresh water tank drain bigger than 3/4" with a ball valve. My last motorhome didn't even have a separate fresh tank drain. To empty the fresh tank, I ran the pump and opened the low point drains.

You may be thinking of the gray waste drain, which is 1.5" (per plumbing code). That's why its faster to pump the fresh tank contents into a sink or shower and let it run down the drain, exiting via the larger gray tank drain line.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So my tow unit really can't hold the weight of my RV, so I need to dump the 100 gallons of fresh water before I travel if it's not used. There's a drain plug but it literally takes an hour to drain.

Has anyone found tactfully the best way to do this?
Do it at the site or the dump station before you leave. No need to spend an hour either. Use the water pump to push water to the sink or shower and down the drain to the gray tank, which has a 1.5" drain. Or open the low point drains in the water system and turn on the pump. Probably about 20-25 minutes that way.

Why do you still have 100 gallons of fresh when ready to leave? Plan ahead and let the tank get near empty toward the end of your stay.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
IC2

Our Montana has a 1/2" PEX drain which means it's a slow draining 64 gallon tank. I can only recall a few times we traveled with it full or nearly so. Even with a nominal travel quantity of 10-15 gallons, it takes a while but not really long. When we leave a CG, I open the drain valve. Within 20 or so minutes, if full, it will have drained,. As far as anyone elses concern - it's potable water if they complained, which so far, they haven't That method has worked for over 40 years, several TTs and 5ers with nary a complaint
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I've had 13 RV's and only one had this. All others had 1/2" drain valves.

The OP should start planning ahead a little and use the 100 gallons of water a day or 2 before departure. There's really no excuse to waste 100 gallons of fresh water every time you break camp.

Tags
fresh water, led, water