Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2023, 03:59 AM   #71

Progressive

I would personally approach it that, whether it's hail or shop damage, it still should be covered by your insurance. If they wish, they can go after the shop for reimbursement - if they have the proof that they state, which I doubt they do. Hail damage, damage by a third party, doesn't really matter to you. It's all still covered damage. They could charge you two deductibles in this case, but that's about as far as they can take it.

If they don't play ball, or if they do charge you two deductibles, go to your state's insurance department. They're an excellent resource that most people don't know they have at their disposal.
OnPawsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2023, 02:35 PM   #72

Latest update. Progressive has decided to replace the roof but not because of the hail damage. They said the 3 large places on roof that caused the damage were from vandalism. That is covered by another deductible ($500) but at this time I do not think I am going to argue because I need the RV fixed and back on the road. May decide to escalate to the Texas insurance board but now just need it back and functional. Estimate ready end of Jan. Thanks all!
lucasintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 02:43 PM   #73
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Glad you will get it fixed. Be sure you read the fine print with Progressive on them covering the repair as vandalism. You may waive your rights to escalate with the TX insurance board as you are accepting Progressive's offer for the fix as they see it. No "two bites from the apple" sort of thing.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:05 PM   #74

Are they going to let your RV shop do the work?

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:44 AM   #75

Same shop doing repair. They were recommended for hail repair and why I selected them vs a major RV sales/service shop. I guess progressive decided to pay mine and move on to someone else who would just go away. I will check fine print and will probably move on from progressive in about 6 months but not sure if all RV insurance companies are the same.
lucasintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:47 AM   #76

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasintexas View Post
Latest update. Progressive has decided to replace the roof but not because of the hail damage. They said the 3 large places on roof that caused the damage were from vandalism. That is covered by another deductible ($500) but at this time I do not think I am going to argue because I need the RV fixed and back on the road. May decide to escalate to the Texas insurance board but now just need it back and functional. Estimate ready end of Jan. Thanks all!
Sounds suspicious to me. As a former insurance agent, I will say that paying two separate deductible sounds bad enough but having two "incidents" on your record will greatly effect your rates upon renewal. I personally ran into that when I had a ticket then someone ran a stop sign and I hit them. Despite the second one not being my fault, it made my insurance rate go up. It also comes into play when shopping for a different company. That automatically puts you into a higher "risk" category. For that reason alone I would find this unacceptable.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 01:48 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Sounds suspicious to me. As a former insurance agent, I will say that paying two separate deductible sounds bad enough but having two "incidents" on your record will greatly effect your rates upon renewal. I personally ran into that when I had a ticket then someone ran a stop sign and I hit them. Despite the second one not being my fault, it made my insurance rate go up. It also comes into play when shopping for a different company. That automatically puts you into a higher "risk" category. For that reason alone I would find this unacceptable.

Exactly. Progressive is just looking for a way to pay for damages that the appraiser screwed up on. The can't prove the damage was done intentionally by anyone.

Saying the damage was caused by vandalism is ridiculous. Who was going to climb on the roof and make three large dents?

The initial report was filed and rejected. Now they are just looking for a way to cover their own backside.
If were you, I would contact the state insurance department and let them know what's going on.

I agree that Progressive will either drastically raise your rates or drop you completely.
Progessive, by agreeing to pay for vandalism without proof is committing fraud.
Also, there is chance they will go after the dealer.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:04 PM   #78

For those of you with Progressive through USAA, I'll point out that about 5 years ago I got quotes through various agents. I'm a fulltimer so there's only a limited number of companies I can use, which makes it pretty easy to compare. And all the agents quoted a Progressive policy, which made it even easier.

For identical Progressive policies, the premium through USAA was about 20% higher than through either Thum or Miller.

Moving away from USAA for RV insurance might affect your other USAA premiums (like if you have a multi-vehicle discount), so you should do a "big picture" analysis before switching, but it might be worth some calling around.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:08 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasintexas View Post
Progressive may be claiming that the damages are the result of two different events. They may be right but I'd still put up a fight before willingly paying the deductible twice. Being there is only going to be the one roof repair, I'd argue with them to drop their insistence of a second out of pocket payment.

What's the saying,, The squeaky wheel gets the grease?
Old 01-20-2023, 10:24 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Moving away from USAA for RV insurance might affect your other USAA premiums (like if you have a multi-vehicle discount), so you should do a "big picture" analysis before switching, but it might be worth some calling around.
Did not affect mine.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:30 AM   #81

Long Strings

There must be something about RV roof discussions that have a never ending life of their own. A couple of years ago the discussion of cleaning, falling off of, leaking, etc, RV roofs seemed to last forever. Would not be surprised if it did not jump to another forum and is still alive somewhere.

All the talk about the hail damaged roof and not a single photograph. Or did I miss it?
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:35 AM   #82

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalGerBrit View Post
There must be something about RV roof discussions that have a never ending life of their own. A couple of years ago the discussion of cleaning, falling off of, leaking, etc, RV roofs seemed to last forever. Would not be surprised if it did not jump to another forum and is still alive somewhere.

All the talk about the hail damaged roof and not a single photograph. Or did I miss it?
Ya know that it would have been easier to hit " unsubscribe " than write this. Try it, you'll like it.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:28 AM   #83

Consider a “contract” attorney?
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:43 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Progressive may be claiming that the damages are the result of two different events. They may be right but I'd still put up a fight before willingly paying the deductible twice. Being there is only going to be the one roof repair, I'd argue with them to drop their insistence of a second out of pocket payment.

What's the saying,, The squeaky wheel gets the grease?
IF they won't drop the second deductible, TELL them you're going to contact your lawyer on this and see what happens. if they don't drop it, then do contact you lawyer. two deductibles for one repair, bogus!
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote