Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
The problem is when starting an Air Conditioner it will draw about 15-17+ amps. When running it usually draws about 10. You can run both AC's if they don't restart at the same time.. Limit any other high current items and after the AC's are running, turn the thermostats way down so they will constantly run. At night or when using the microwave you can operate on a single AC. Used this for years in my previous 30 amp motorhome. (Actually only turned the front AC on steady and let the rear AC cycle.)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
The problem is when starting an Air Conditioner it will draw about 15-17+ amps. When running it usually draws about 10. You can run both AC's if they don't restart at the same time.. Limit any other high current items and after the AC's are running, turn the thermostats way down so they will constantly run. At night or when using the microwave you can operate on a single AC. Used this for years in my previous 30 amp motorhome. (Actually only turned the front AC on steady and let the rear AC cycle.)
lots of tricks just need to understand power management.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #17

Person next to me , was running both A/Cs on his coach, on 30 amp shore power, on third day his adaptor cord and the park plug melted down; and then the fight started.
He said the breaker should have tripped before the melt down and didn't because it was old and corroded. Park of course didn't see it that way and wanted him to pay for the repair. Next morning he wasn't there.
Just saying. If you need to run both A/C s to be comfortable , find a park with 50 amp power.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I agree with this. I have run 2 ACs on 30A numerous times and it works. But don't use microwave or other high amp items at the same time, and set your inverter/charger to the minimum charge setting.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It's a bad practice to do that. It puts a heavy load on your transpsfer relay and eventually the relay contacts will fail. Better to always unplug shore power before starting generator.
MRUSA
I disagree.

IMO, loading the "relay contacts" in a transfer switch will NOT cause premature failure of the relay contacts.

Whenever/anytime that 120VAC power... (shore... OR generator... OR both), is going into the transfer switch the "relay contacts" are "loaded".
(The only time the "relay contacts" in a transfer switch aren't "loaded" is when there is NO incoming 120VAC power).

That's how transfer switches in RVs work.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As noted above some RV's have energery management systems.

Others.. Well there used to be a company called PSRV (Power Solutions RV) but last I checked their web page (.net) would not load).

Basically on a 50 amp rig WITHOUT Energery management this is how it worked.

Original

Main breaker box branch breaker ------------- Air Conditioner

New config

Box breaker-----(Jbox) Pigtail-Outlet Inlet-Breaker---A/C

I built my own by using 12Ga wiring.

I removed the A/C's feed from teh breaker box (All 3 wires)
I ran a 12ga lead to outside the coach (This can be in an existin gcompartment but in my case I put an access box in the wall and terminated everything there) added a junction box right behind the fuse panel (Easy to do on my rig) and "extended" the A/C's power lead again using 12ga wire to the same box on the outside, There is the breaker and other stuff (In my case an outlet and plug)

To use with park,, I use a 12ga extension cord to park's 15/20 amp outlet.. NOTE all 12 ga wire, nothing smaller This is important.

Works great, in fact using it as I type.

I am not sure of the need for the 2nd breaker on the inlet side of the PSRV system,, but .. Well,, Better to play safe, You do not (normally) know the condition of the park breaker (In my case it's less than 2 weeks old, I watched them install it after I called to complain that the 30 amp outlet was.. not good. (Hiss crackle sputter).
Old 05-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #21

I don't think in most settings the RV is the limiting factor, it is the breaker on the pedestal that trips at a draw well below 30 Amp, in our area code says that a breaker has to trip at 80% load and breakers do wear out. Then in a Campground setting when one AC runs they all run and that can lead to an even more dangerous situation, that means the whole system is starving for power which can be a fire hazard or lead to brownouts.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any way to get both AC's to work with 30 amp shore power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrvrepair View Post
...The only way to make this work out is an energy management system. Fleetwood did this a lot. With little success.

True. However, my '05 Fleetwood has an Intellitec EMS and it has worked perfectly for nine years now. I can run both A/C's on 30A power with zero issues. I have even tried to trip the pedestal breaker but the EMS sheds power to other appliances to cover the demand. My buddy with a new much more expensive MH trips breakers all the time. I'm keeping my older cheaper MH!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree with Craig. My Fleetwood also has the intelitec EMS and it works great. Once, last summer on a very hot day, I was plugged in at the house, with the MH in the shelter. Had both ACs going to cool unit so I could work inside. When I checked, one AC was not cooling. Started checking things, turns out the neighborhood was having a low voltage situation due to everyone running ACs, I think. The EMS handled it well. Not something you want to do often, but it was an interesting experience.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any way to get both AC's to work with 30 amp shore power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck13 View Post
Agree with Craig. My Fleetwood also has the intelitec EMS and it works great. Once, last summer on a very hot day, I was plugged in at the house, with the MH in the shelter. Had both ACs going to cool unit so I could work inside. When I checked, one AC was not cooling. Started checking things, turns out the neighborhood was having a low voltage situation due to everyone running ACs, I think. The EMS handled it well. Not something you want to do often, but it was an interesting experience.

Chuck,

Not sure that would have been your EMS at work in that situation. The EMS only handles a power load on the RV side of your electrical connection. What you are describing is more along the lines of a brown out which can cause damage. A good surge protector will help with this. In your case, it would have completely shut off power to your coach until an acceptable power level was restored.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Person next to me , was running both A/Cs on his coach, on 30 amp shore power, on third day his adaptor cord and the park plug melted down; and then the fight started.
He said the breaker should have tripped before the melt down and didn't because it was old and corroded. Park of course didn't see it that way and wanted him to pay for the repair. Next morning he wasn't there.
Just saying. If you need to run both A/C s to be comfortable , find a park with 50 amp power.
The breaker likely did not trip because it did not pull excessive amperage. There was a bad connection at the plug either the male or female needed serviced, it generated heat at the "faulty" connect.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwoods with the EMS system uses a 13.5K front AC and a rear 11K AC.
OP didn't say what size his AC's are.

I replaced my Fleetwood rear 11K AC with a 13.5K and front 13.5K with a 15K Heat pump.

I no longer can run both at the same time with the EMS.
I installed a 35 AMP breaker box 20/15 AMP to run the front 15K with a separate 30AMP shore line cord.
Works for me. Can keep cool into the high 90's outside.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
You can not run 2 AC units off of 30 amps. You need a 50 amp service to do that. Is your rig a 30 amp or a 50 amp rig. If it is 30 you will need to convert it to 50 amp. New transfer switch will also be needed if you have a 30 amp rig.
Funny... I've run 2 AC's off a 20 amp power cord. But I use the Fleetwood energy management system that they have been un-successful in using.....
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLeonard View Post
I have 30 amp service when connected to shore power. The generator is a 5500. It produces 45.8 amps.
Doesn't clearly answer the question. If you connect to a 30A shore supply you will have 30A service - no matter if your RV is set up for 30A service, 50A service, or 100A service. The question was "How is your RV built?" Most manufacturers try to match the generator to the incoming supply as best as they can, so a 30A coach would have a 3500W generator while a 50A coach would have a 5500W generator.

Tags
power